Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

Gerry - are you saying that you think sunset is a fading out of the sun, and that this happens when the sun is nowhere near the horizon but that something happens to make the sunset look like it is setting below the horizon rather than fading out?

What do you think noon is?

Please could you add a point where it is noon on to the map as well as the sunset point you've already added.

Thanks.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly what I was expecting from you.

Gerry, I'm not trying to trick you. I'm just asking you questions about how your model works and asking you to explain things I do not understand about it.

Does the sun fade out at sunset? Doesn't it get progressively and suddenly blocked out? In the spherical globe this is due to the sun going behind the horizon. What is happening in your model.

I say again I'm not trying to trick you, I'd just like to understand what sunset, sunrise and noon are in the flat earth model.

Gerry, could you please just give us a description of the sun and in what directions its light shines?

It would be helpful if while doing this you contrasted how it might be different from a torch.

Assuming the sun is ... a flat light source.

What do you mean by a flat light source?

You say the sun isn't very far away from the earth.

If a person was directly below the centre of this "flat light source" and looked up at the sun - lets say I've got solar specs on the protect my eyes I presume I'll see a circle. Is that correct?

Now lets say I'm a long way away from this point, but still at a point on the flat earth where I can see the sun - when I look up at this "flat light source" - remember I'm now looking at it at an oblique angle - what shape is the sun?

Your diagram seems to imply a circular area of the earth is illuminated at any one moment - is that right? If not could you explain what shape it is.

How large is this area?

I'm assuming it is thousands of miles across, but what do you think?

Knowing that will be helpful to understanding what your "flat light source" looks like from directly below and from an oblique angle.

How far away do you think the sun is?

Gerry, could you please just give us a description of the sun and in what directions its light shines?

It would be helpful if while doing this you contrasted how it might be different from a torch.

Assuming the sun is ... a flat light source.

What do you mean by a flat light source? like a spotlight parallel to the surface of the Earth.

You say the sun isn't very far away from the earth. ~ 3000miles, However the size is not as we are lead to believe. I think 32 miles diameter will account for the same size as we see with this new distance..

If a person was directly below the centre of this "flat light source" and looked up at the sun - lets say I've got solar specs on the protect my eyes I presume I'll see a circle. Is that correct? Yes I suppose so, however, from our view, due to the law of perspective (where tall objects appear high overhead when close and when at distance gradually lower and then vanish) i.e. it appears to rise up and set as it moves towards us and passes by.

Your diagram seems to imply a circular area of the earth is illuminated at any one moment - is that right? If not could you explain what shape it is. Very funny

How large is this area? I can try and work it out.

I'm assuming it is thousands of miles across, but what do you think? Well it would have to be pretty large as the sun is shinning on a fair part of the Earth at any one time..

How far away do you think the sun is? ~3000miles, TBH not certain of this at this point...

China: So they don't have to account for the earths curve then?

What I don't understand about Newton's Cannonball is why it doesn't hit the sun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cannonball

Gravity
Sandra Bullock deserved that Oscar!

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a problem separating the trollers from the trollees here?

It's very obvious that chinahand is trolling gerrydandridge here, trying to blind common sense with long sciencey words. You can prove anything with facts. But facts don't take into account intuition and gut feelings which are as much a part of life as so called gravity and physics.

China: So they don't have to account for the earths curve then?

What I don't understand about Newton's Cannonball is why it doesn't hit the sun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cannonball

Gravity
Sandra Bullock deserved that Oscar!

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a problem separating the trollers from the trollees here?

.........they're all off their trolleys to argue about whether the Earth or any other planet is round or flat imo. What difference does it make? We are here and have been for aeons so it really makes no difference either way.flowers.gif

If the Earth is flat what is underneath the "disc"? If we drill deep enough what will we find? Would we just fall into the void?

If the Earth is flat how do you explain earthquakes, plate tectonics and continental drift? What about volcanoes and the magma that they spew forth, where does that come from?

A flat Earth raises far more questions that it could ever answer!

Archived