Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I'm sure RS is taking the piss and knows full well it is a shadow of our round earth. He is just baiting the flat earthers.

It's actually the shadow cast by the ships of the alien invasion fleet. Come to rightfully retake what their cousins in Foxdil and Ronague have lost or had taken off them. Nanu nanu.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about this the other day. We know spheres are the most energy efficient shape in balancing surface tension. And we know Newtons gravitational law dictates that round is the shape to be when it comes to really big things.

But why are galaxies flat?  And Solar systems too come to that.

I was thinking, because of collisions in a non flat galaxy?  The planets would keep smashing into one other, with the matter reforming into spheres, until all the spheres were on a single plane, balanced by centripidal accelaration v gravity. 

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, ScotsAlan said:

But why are galaxies flat?  And Solar systems too come to that

Aah, not so fast, e.g Sombrero Galaxy opo0328a.jpg

And solar system

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU2eyev1bdwuGTvo6h-c4

The minimum surface area for volume thing only applies to solid objects, not collections of objects gravitationally bound.

15 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Aah, not so fast, e.g Sombrero Galaxy opo0328a.jpg

And solar system

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU2eyev1bdwuGTvo6h-c4

The minimum surface area for volume thing only applies to solid objects, not collections of objects gravitationally bound.

An amazing image. Imagine the size. Millions of light years across.

I am not saying flat galaxies are evidence of a flat earth. I am a science fella. I was just thinking aloud.

But I will definately be looking into the physics of galaxies. Its 30 years since I studied Kepplers equations, so I will be looking for 'science made easy' websites.

It's thought provoking. Are we in any position to say that galaxies are flat though? Do we really know enough about what we think we can see? By definition, it's pretty alien out there, and all kinds of forces of which we may yet be unaware are possibly at work.

I sometimes wonder whether our current understanding of the existence and characteristics of what we call the universe could one day seem as ridiculous to our successors as those of Aristotle and Copernicus appear now to us.

It is thought provoking wooley.

Do you remember the bit in hitch hikers where Zephod survived his death sentence, execution by seeing the universe?

He survived.. his ego was bigger.

ha ha.

Personally, I can almost comprehend the size of the universe.

But the evangelicals who say Moses had dinosaurs in his ark, or the people that claim Moses was real.... that blows my mind.

Archived