Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

Guys, all of you, please ,I beseech thee.. STOP!..please .. just Stop...

Stop throwing the  vitriol; stop trying to  be  super smart  and trying to trip each other up .It doesn’t work.It is pathetic.

Most people will go with the consensus view regarding  our planet and its place in what we currently  accept as the universe and how it seems to function.

In much the same way we view  we view Ohms law.It  make sense and it seems to work in the world in which we live.

Most folk are  open  to listen to other theories about anything- It can be very interesting.

However, they cover their ears to shrill  dogma  and yawn wearily to  the  stock  zealot  responses and  those  really tedious, interminable video clips  that   are thrown at them as some form of “evidence”.

It is a long running topic .

I suspect that Paul feeds it every fortnight or so  if it looks a bit dry of responses, to ensure its survival to attain some sort dubious record of the longest running  topic,

It provokes responses.Either  in the form of a tit-for -tat  school yard sneer ,in which MF excels, or as pious indignation with lengthy detailed  explanation of “important things” that it is assumed most of us are ignorant.

Paul, I don’t doubt for a second that you had some really awesome school reports in 1997.Well done. I am  very impressed and, as two decades earlier, mine were deflating, depressing and  frankly  more than a bit derogatory,I confess to being slightly envious.

However, teachers ’ regular assessments have yet to   include a score on their predictions.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that this is a wonderful, educational thread that gerry started, and i have learned so much about science and the earth we live on over the last 4 years.

Obviously when people disagree, certain posters become rude, but in the most part this thread has been wonderful.

Thanks john

8 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

Guys, all of you, please ,I beseech thee.. STOP!..please .. just Stop...

Stop throwing the  vitriol; stop trying to  be  super smart  and trying to trip each other up .It doesn’t work.It is pathetic.

Most people will go with the consensus view regarding  our planet and its place in what we currently  accept as the universe and how it seems to function.

In much the same way we view  we view Ohms law.It  make sense and it seems to work in the world in which we live.

Most folk are  open  to listen to other theories about anything- It can be very interesting.

However, they cover their ears to shrill  dogma  and yawn wearily to  the  stock  zealot  responses and  those  really tedious, interminable video clips  that   are thrown at them as some form of “evidence”.

It is a long running topic .

I suspect that Paul feeds it every fortnight or so  if it looks a bit dry of responses, to ensure its survival to attain some sort dubious record of the longest running  topic,

It provokes responses.Either  in the form of a tit-for -tat  school yard sneer ,in which MF excels, or as pious indignation with lengthy detailed  explanation of “important things” that it is assumed most of us are ignorant.

Paul, I don’t doubt for a second that you had some really awesome school reports in 1997.Well done. I am  very impressed and, as two decades earlier, mine were deflating, depressing and  frankly  more than a bit derogatory,I confess to being slightly envious.

However, teachers ’ regular assessments have yet to   include a score on their predictions.

Cheers hampster! The fact is, that when we talk about natural science, the bar starts at NATURAL science. Not presuppositions!

So all claims must be backed by the experimental evidence to back them up.

Science in the natural world determines cause and effect relationships via experimental testing.

No one so far has actually provided scientific evidence that the earth is a spinning oblate spheroid. China refuses to follow the scientific method, the rest in the majority, are just trolling, because their faith was challenged by gerrys very simple question. They are dying to get this wonderfult thread closed, not chinahand, as they cant handle the lack of proof.

And they have used every tactic imaginable. So regardless of how many times they are shown to be antagonistic, mean and cruel, they continue with impunity, desperate to get a science thread closed down because it goes against all their ball dreams.

If the earth was a nice safe scientific ball, then this thread wouldnt have got this far!

Houston, we have a problem x

And the amount of people in this thread that tried to link beliefs, to intelligence, is mind blowing. I genuinely never thought people would be so fragile about it.

Thats why i repeatedly shove my tutor report back at them. Because proffesional knowledge trumps internet fantasists, in this case x

Its all about the independent variable in natural science, the part that the scientist manipulates during the experiment. Without that you havent got science. Run any of the so called evidence given in this thread, through the scientific method, and you have a massive problem.

I have shown this numerous times and will happily do so again if genuine posters like hampster kahn fancy offering any of the concencus views as evidence. Thanks x

3 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

Cheers hampster! The fact is, that when we talk about natural science, the bar starts at NATURAL science. Not presuppositions!

So all claims must be backed by the experimental evidence to back them up.

Science in the natural world determines cause and effect relationships via experimental testing.

No one so far has actually provided scientific evidence that the earth is a spinning oblate spheroid. China refuses to follow the scientific method, the rest in the majority, are just trolling, because their faith was challenged by gerrys very simple question. They are dying to get this wonderfult hread closed, not chinahand, as ghey cant handle the lack of proof.

And they have used every tactic imaginable. So regardless of how many time they are shown to be antagonistic, mean and cruel, they continue with impunity, desperate to get a science thread closed down because it goes against all their ball dreams.

If the earth was a nice safe scientific ball, then this thread wouldnt have got this far!

Houston, we have a problem x

We’ve only got so far because many, you included, as evidenced in the quoted post, don’t understand science.

There is very little natural science that is absolute. It’s all theory, ( supposition in your terms ) based on best evidence, until someone proves the theory wrong.

So, the earth as an oblate spinning sphere theory is centuries old andbacked by huge amounts of evidence, and hasn’t been proved wrong. To the extent it’s extremely unlikely it’s anything else.

All the flat earth theories are based on misinterpretation, wrong facts, poor science and deductions, and can be demonstrated to be false.

Its you that’s the troll. You don’t answer simple questions about your beliefs, your response is to seek absolute evidence and to rubbish the large volume of fact based observational and mathematical evidence.

Try this. https://www.unlv.edu/news/release/round-earth-clues-how-science-proves-our-home-globe

31 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

I think that this is a wonderful, educational thread that gerry started, and i have learned so much about science and the earth we live on over the last 4 years.

Obviously when people disagree, certain posters become rude, but in the most part this thread has been wonderful.

Thanks john

It’s you who is rudest most frequently.

Think very carefully about/before replying.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We’ve only got so far because many, you included, as evidenced in the quoted post, don’t understand science.

There is very little natural science that is absolute. It’s all theory, ( supposition in your terms ) based on best evidence, until someone proves the theory wrong.

So, the earth as an oblate spinning sphere theory is centuries old andbacked by huge amounts of evidence, and hasn’t been proved wrong. To the extent it’s extremely unlikely it’s anything else.

All the flat earth theories are based on misinterpretation, wrong facts, poor science and deductions, and can be demonstrated to be false.

Its you that’s the troll. You don’t answer simple questions about your beliefs, your response is to seek absolute evidence and to rubbish the large volume of fact based observational and mathematical evidence.

Try this. https://www.unlv.edu/news/release/round-earth-clues-how-science-proves-our-home-globe

No john, i have demonstrated on numerous occasions that not only understand science and the scientific method, but i am well versed in the process of using the scientific method, in order to validate or invalidate cause and effect relationships in nature. Like water boiling at 100 degrees c at sea level, being the latest example i gave.

Also i have officialy been graded and passed my science exams at a good level, so please do not infer otherwise unless you have the decency to provide a cohesive argument with it or an example.

I disagree with the opinions you wrote about what science is and will look at the link you provided and come back to you. Thanks X

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s you who is rudest most frequently.

Think very carefully about/before replying.

My conduct in this thread has been nothing short of angelic in most parts john and i continuously update with current relevant info.

I have been attacked unfairly at times so respondind is my right. If you think im being rudest most frequently,  that is your right to comment, but not my intentio

I am not a malicious poster, i have stated this and explained it on numerous occasions. and if the people on mf really think i am then i wouldnt feel welcome anymore.

Its not my fault that i have been attacked and in my responses i have been fair, never worse than my attacker.

I am happy to provide chronological examples if required, to prove that what im sayingmis true

Thanks john x

Heres an example of a recent event which better places this thread, in terms of relevance.

A challenge was put out on the web, for an offer of money, to anyone who could prove curvature of the earth.

A challenger claimed the money, the originator refused to pay, saying the challenge hadnt been completed.

Then they went to court about it! Guess who lost! x

Perhaps you should put in a petition on Tywnald Day that the Isle of Man government should declare which sire of the fence it sits on this. Because at the moment I think you are being discriminated against for your beliefs. ECHR and all that.

The flat earth society has branches all around the globe, is there a branch on t'Isle of Man?

1 hour ago, paul's got wright said:

Zen Garcia did not "win" the case, the claimant "lost" the case by not providing sufficient evidence (in that the "evidence" he used was flawed).

Two idiots arguing over who is the smartest idiot in a court is not a proof of a Flat Earth.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Perhaps you should put in a petition on Tywnald Day that the Isle of Man government should declare which sire of the fence it sits on this. Because at the moment I think you are being discriminated against for your beliefs. ECHR and all that.

The flat earth society has branches all around the globe, is there a branch on t'Isle of Man?

Im not being discriminated against because of my beliefs!

The isle of man government is nor a man or a woman that can declare an opinion!

What globe?

21 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Zen Garcia did not "win" the case, the claimant "lost" the case by not providing sufficient evidence (in that the "evidence" he used was flawed).

Two idiots arguing over who is the smartest idiot in a court is not a proof of a Flat Earth.

Funny how no one else claimed the money by completing such a supposedly simple challenge!

Archived