Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, John Wright said:

We’ve only got so far because many, you included, as evidenced in the quoted post, don’t understand science.

There is very little natural science that is absolute. It’s all theory, ( supposition in your terms ) based on best evidence, until someone proves the theory wrong.

So, the earth as an oblate spinning sphere theory is centuries old andbacked by huge amounts of evidence, and hasn’t been proved wrong. To the extent it’s extremely unlikely it’s anything else.

All the flat earth theories are based on misinterpretation, wrong facts, poor science and deductions, and can be demonstrated to be false.

Its you that’s the troll. You don’t answer simple questions about your beliefs, your response is to seek absolute evidence and to rubbish the large volume of fact based observational and mathematical evidence.

Try this. https://www.unlv.edu/news/release/round-earth-clues-how-science-proves-our-home-globe

And on that quite excellent synoptic post - I salute you John - May I suggest the thread is locked.

Why? What harm is it doing? Why would you censor it?

I don't agree that the Earth is flat. I think the very notion is ludicrous. On what grounds should the subject be locked though? Is it because you believe there is a lot of nonsense in it? Or is it because some posters are annoying or seemingly insane? Well, why not lock the whole forum?

Nobody forces anybody to post on or read a particular thread.

ETA: Not being a regular visitor to the thread, I just scrolled back a few pages looking for said vitriol. I can't see anything remotely as bad as some of the stuff on other threads over the last few nights.

To me this thread is harmless. Wacky, funny at times, boring at others, but largely inoffensive. It's a bit like people saying man never went to the Moon. Annoying, stupid, but not worthy of suppression for any reason.

@woolley +1 for mildly annoying and definitely stupid.  The topic that is, not you :wacko: :flowers:

But not really worthy of locking.  Or maybe JW's seen something the rest of us haven't.

Or maybe my old suggestion of a separate Conspiracy sub-section to the forum that these Topics could be consigned to with the possibility of removing them from my "New Content" filters.

I think that we need to be less grumpy about stuff we don't agree with in general. To shut subjects down is far more ominous than indulging in a superior snigger and moving on. Are we worried about the internet corrupting the hard of thinking? If so, I'm afraid that ship sailed long ago. It's out there!

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I don't agree that the Earth is flat. I think the very notion is ludicrous. On what grounds should the subject be locked though? Is it because you believe there is a lot of nonsense in it? Or is it because some posters are annoying or seemingly insane? Well, why not lock the whole forum?

ETA: Not being a regular visitor to the thread, I just scrolled back a few pages looking for said vitriol. I can't see anything remotely as bad as some of the stuff on other threads over the last few nights.

To me this thread is harmless. Wacky, funny at times, boring at others, but largely inoffensive. It's a bit like people saying man never went to the Moon. Annoying, stupid, but not worthy of suppression for any reason.

I don’t think posters should try to ridicule a Moderator though.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Well said woolley. Its good to get that kind of perspective from a seasoned poster such as yourself, who i consider to be fair and knowledgable. I dont agree with all of your content, yet enjoy you being here. Cheers x

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I don’t think posters should try to ridicule a Moderator though.

Taken a look. Don't see anything I would classify as this. In any case, if that was so it would be a sanction on the member, not the thread. 

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Taken a look. Don't see anything I would classify as this. In any case, if that was so it would be a sanction on the member, not the thread. 

My view was that PGW was trying to ridicule JW or at least undermine JW’s superior knowledge.

I just felt it was outside of the usual tit for tat banter , Nothing more :thumbsup:

I'm not convinced that it's okay people posting conspiracy lies. It's a short hop from nonsense about the moon landings, flat earth etc to spreading dangerous disinformation about medical issues - eg vaccinations, 5G, made up cancer cures etc.

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'm not convinced that it's okay people posting conspiracy lies. It's a short hop from nonsense about the moon landings, flat earth etc to spreading dangerous disinformation about medical issues - eg vaccinations, 5G, made up cancer cures etc.

It’s on a par with the DoI telling us the promenade will be finished on time and under budget...

Archived