Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Gerry (and anyone else who might want to!) do the calculations - what do you calculate the altitude of Polaris will be in South Africa - 13,000 km from the pole? And in Spain 5,600 km away?

Gerry - you've said you are willing to go with Polaris being 3500km above the North Pole. Well - please do the maths - what altitude would Polaris have above the horizon 13,000 or so kilometers away in South Africa if the world was flat?

I said lets go with 3500 miles, not km, quite a difference.

Ah ... sorry. 5600 km then ... ok that works pretty well for the IOM 54.4 degrees or so.

So, let's take the next step ... what do you think the altitude of Polaris is 13,000 km away in South Africa, or 5,600 km away in Spain.

Please do the maths - assuming a flat earth of course.

23.3 deg

The world is definitely round. This thread has got back to where it first started, about 74 times now.

isn't it amazing that it has over 15 thousand views, yet apparently it's just so obvious to "everyone" what shape the earth is, that's it's not even worth discussing? china seems to be the most exceptional proponent of the obvious, yet feels duty bound to reiterate just how obvious this all is to "anyone". why would anyone spend anytime at all in this thread if, even the notion of a different shape was so preposterous? x

In the holographic universe model, can we be so certain that the earth is even three dimensional?

The world is definitely round. This thread has got back to where it first started, about 74 times now.

isn't it amazing that it has over 15 thousand views, yet apparently it's just so obvious to "everyone" what shape the earth is, that's it's not even worth discussing? china seems to be the most exceptional proponent of the obvious, yet feels duty bound to reiterate just how obvious this all is to "anyone". why would anyone spend anytime at all in this thread if, even the notion of a different shape was so preposterous? x

Paul, you have a really short memory.

Only 14 or so people bother pitching up and reading each new post. This is one of the least read threads on Manx Forums. The Babylon Has Fallen thread is pretty dismal for being ignored, but at 28 it is twice as popular than this one.

Most threads get 50 or so people reading them. This is a really unpopular thread, please don't think otherwise.

what do you think the altitude of Polaris is 13,000 km away in South Africa, or 5,600 km away in Spain.

Please do the maths - assuming a flat earth of course.

23.3 deg

You missed out Madrid.

But anyway - I agree with your maths, let's just check we agree with the conclusions this maths bring.

Gerry, can you confirm you think Polaris will be 23.3 degrees above the horizon in South Africa? Correct?

Sadly it is a bit cloudy where I am, but why don't you try going outside.

At this very moment Saturn is about 17 degrees high, just to the South West. Go and stick your head out of the window and have a look. Look how high Saturn is up in the sky - assuming it's not cloudy.

Gerry, are you telling me you think Polaris is a further 6 degrees higher in the Sky in South Africa than Saturn is now above the horizon in the Isle of Man?

Do you really think that? And if it isn't the case - what do you think is going on?

What does that mean? Can you or can you not see Polaris from 13,000 km from the North Pole?

This is a factual issue - if someone had walked up Table mountain tonight and waited til the sun set and looked North would they see the Northern Pole Star 23 degrees or so above the horizon?

Please answer this?

Paul, you have a really short memory.

Only 14 or so people bother pitching up and reading each new post. This is one of the least read threads on Manx Forums. The Babylon Has Fallen thread is pretty dismal for being ignored, but at 28 it is twice as popular than this one.

Most threads get 50 or so people reading them. This is a really unpopular thread, please don't think otherwise.

my memory is perfect trevor how dare you! but ok, sorry. i will not think for myself about the popularity of threads. please can you just send me the stats so i know what is and isn't worth reading. thanks dave x

What does that mean? Can you or can you not see Polaris from 13,000 km from the North Pole?

This is a factual issue - if someone had walked up Table mountain tonight and waited til the sun set and looked North would they see the Northern Pole Star 23 degrees or so above the horizon?

Please answer this?

I was addressing post 1120, I was not aware of these posts until after I posted.

I have an idea why but you wont like it!

Angle to Pole star,,,take your pick SOH COA TOA. I remember from O level maths. its been some time but

(Distance to n.pole from IOM) / (height of Polaris above pole).....opposite, adjacent. tan-1

Erm - I think you memory is faulty - SOH, CAH, TOA.

I was taught Trig is Only Half, An Hour, Of Agony. O/H, A/H, O/A O = Opposite, A = Adjacent, H = Hypotenuse

Angle to Pole star,,,take your pick SOH COA TOA. I remember from O level maths. its been some time but

(Distance to n.pole from IOM) / (height of Polaris above pole).....opposite, adjacent. tan-1

Erm - I think you memory is faulty - SOH, CAH, TOA.

I was taught Trig is Only Half, An Hour, Of Agony. O/H, A/H, O/A O = Opposite, A = Adjacent, H = Hypotenuse

it depends how many times he calls you dave, trevor x

You've just been indoctrinated by those fake maths books that the Government want you to believe.

Archived