Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

What does that mean? Can you or can you not see Polaris from 13,000 km from the North Pole?

This is a factual issue - if someone had walked up Table mountain tonight and waited til the sun set and looked North would they see the Northern Pole Star 23 degrees or so above the horizon?

Please answer this?

I have an idea why but you wont like it!

Just anticipating you a bit Gerry.

Gerry, this photo was taken from Cape Town, but looking South - down towards the Southern Celestial Pole - which has an elevation of about 31 degrees.

Believe me Polaris is not visible from Cape Town.

Now look at the photo and think. If you are going to raise atmospheric refraction why does this photo show you that you are wrong, and there isn't significant distortion of light coming from stars significantly (ie more than 3 or so degrees) above the horizon.

What is it about this picture which proves this to be the case.

Go on Gerry, look at it and think.

940-9.jpg?w=640

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The world is definitely round. This thread has got back to where it first started, about 74 times now.

isn't it amazing that it has over 15 thousand views, yet apparently it's just so obvious to "everyone" what shape the earth is, that's it's not even worth discussing? china seems to be the most exceptional proponent of the obvious, yet feels duty bound to reiterate just how obvious this all is to "anyone". why would anyone spend anytime at all in this thread if, even the notion of a different shape was so preposterous? x

Paul, you have a really short memory.

Only 14 or so people bother pitching up and reading each new post. This is one of the least read threads on Manx Forums. The Babylon Has Fallen thread is pretty dismal for being ignored, but at 28 it is twice as popular than this one.

Most threads get 50 or so people reading them. This is a really unpopular thread, please don't think otherwise.

so why didn't it get 14 28 or 42 views then? why is there over 1100 posts? why is it marked as hot? an why are you still here? if you had a thread, claiming to show evidence that cleverly was better than scholes at football, i wouldn't be in it. i already know without havin to be so ridiculous as to even look at your evidence, never mind debate it! but here you are still? it jus doesn't make any sense. a good night to you all x

The world is definitely round. This thread has got back to where it first started, about 74 times now.

isn't it amazing that it has over 15 thousand views, yet apparently it's just so obvious to "everyone" what shape the earth is, that's it's not even worth discussing? china seems to be the most exceptional proponent of the obvious, yet feels duty bound to reiterate just how obvious this all is to "anyone". why would anyone spend anytime at all in this thread if, even the notion of a different shape was so preposterous? x

Only 14 or so people bother pitching up and reading each new post. This is one of the least read threads on Manx Forums. The Babylon Has Fallen thread is pretty dismal for being ignored, but at 28 it is twice as popular than this one.

Most threads get 50 or so people reading them. This is a really unpopular thread, please don't think otherwise.

so why didn't it get 14 28 or 42 views then?
Because if one person clicks on a thread 5 times that is 5 views not 1.

Angle to Pole star,,,take your pick SOH COA TOA. I remember from O level maths. its been some time but

(Distance to n.pole from IOM) / (height of Polaris above pole).....opposite, adjacent. tan-1

Erm - I think you memory is faulty - SOH, CAH, TOA.

I was taught Trig is Only Half, An Hour, Of Agony. O/H, A/H, O/A O = Opposite, A = Adjacent, H = Hypotenuse

Our mnemonic was "Sons Of Heroes Can Always Have Their Own Armies"

you still here he licks? thought it was all so stupid and obvious??? x

As you can see from the post you quoted, people still need help with very basic concepts. So it's nice for someone to be here to help them, paul's not right.

As you can see from the post you quoted, people still need help with very basic concepts. So it's nice for someone to be here to help them, paul's not right.

yeah we need you to count to 5 for us don't we, he licks snot right. x

What does that mean? Can you or can you not see Polaris from 13,000 km from the North Pole?

This is a factual issue - if someone had walked up Table mountain tonight and waited til the sun set and looked North would they see the Northern Pole Star 23 degrees or so above the horizon?

Please answer this?

I have an idea why but you wont like it!

Just anticipating you a bit Gerry.

Gerry, this photo was taken from Cape Town, but looking South - down towards the Southern Celestial Pole - which has an elevation of about 31 degrees.

Believe me Polaris is not visible from Cape Town.

Now look at the photo and think. If you are going to raise atmospheric refraction why does this photo show you that you are wrong, and there isn't significant distortion of light coming from stars significantly (ie more than 3 or so degrees) above the horizon.

What is it about this picture which proves this to be the case.

Go on Gerry, look at it and think.

940-9.jpg?w=640

In your time lapse photo, firstly is it taken at great height, secondly look at the left of the picture and the star trails disappear before the horizon, so that would be due to atmospheric conditions I would think, no doubt the height it is taken from has a great deal to do with the lower star clarity also.

I believe you when you say that Polaris is not visible From cape town, I would not expect to see it from that location.

From Cape town, not Polaris.

I am happy with the trig, I know it to work, so I don't doubt that, and at the same time I would expect to see it if it were indeed 23 degrees above the horizon, I admit this is a puzzle, but alone, does this mean the Earth is Round?

940-9.jpg?w=640

In your time lapse photo, firstly is it taken at great height, secondly look at the left of the picture and the star trails disappear before the horizon, so that would be due to atmospheric conditions I would think, no doubt the height it is taken from has a great deal to do with the lower star clarity also.

It's not taken from a great height. It is taken from the Southern part of Signal Hill. The stars do fade into the horizon, but only a degree or so above the horizon, and the star trails remain circular showing very little sign of distortion (think about the shape of the star trails if their was significant atmospheric distortion, Gerry, would they remain circles?)

Here's another time lapse from the same photographer

Again looking South.

The explanation of what is going on here is really simple, genuinely there is no mystery. Just the stars and the Earth.

Accept some evidence and think what conclusions you should draw from this evidence.

It directly contradicts a flat earth.

Gerry - you say you accept the trigonometry.

Could you do the calculation for 10,000km away?

What altitude above the horizon do you think Polaris will have (assuming it is 5600km above the Pole) when you are 10K km from the Pole?

Archived