Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very old news - even in 2005

i said interesting not new kevster. here's the bit i meant x

"But, while celebrating the undoubted success of Project Paperclip, many will prefer to remember the thousands who died to send mankind into space".

This week jeranism is going to be performing an interesting experiment with a laser that was kindly donated to him, details below.

I must admit I trust his intent in this matter and if indeed he detects a curve I am quite sure he will not cover it up, but report it honestly, I am looking forward to the results very much, whichever way they go. Wish I could be there to witness the event..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qR-cQxOqPo

I have also been trying to find credible (time lapse) star trails showing the position of Polaris on the web, I have found a few but the problem is conformation of their true location taken.

If the above laser experiment shows no curvature across a large body of water then I think we can safly say the consensus view on the globe is in serious doubt indeed.

Does he know the huge amount of literature on refraction?

Changes in air density could swamp the results with the beam being refracted/bent a comparable amount to the curvature of the earth.

This is where the flat earthers really don't get science.

The whole point is to understand and control so that all factors are accounted for. One experiment, which takes no account of refraction does not prove the case.

I hope he keeps his laser above the water by at least 10 feet, ensures there isn't a temperature inversion and then uses the calculation for light going through air and not a vacuum to do the calculation for the distance to the horizon.

Gerry, I would just chat to someone in the yacht club put some really clear marks on even a small dinghy's mast and sail it out into the bay and you'll see it going hull down. I've already put up loads of photos of this.

I've seen it multiple times myself, but even ignoring first hand experience read Hornblower or DeFoe: it's a major part of lots of sea stories from the age of sail.

Ships really do disappear over the horizon - they might do so at slightly different distances depending upon the atmospheric conditions with refraction increasing or decreasing the distance, but that doesn't effect the big picture that the horizon exists.

The problem is when people are out to prove the TRUTH in a one off experiment and are insistent that if you can see something a small amount over the "light-in-a-vacuum horizon distance" then there's a huge lizard conspiracy.

This isn't a reasonable conclusion.

Its very odd how you poo poo this attempt to fire a laser across a body of water but will unquestioningly take the NASA composites and their claimed accomplishments at face value.

I will be shocked it if does fire 10 feet above the shoreline, confirming the curve of the earth as science tell it, however I would accept it.

If a 1000MW laser lands with equal height above the shoreline whence it came from then I would find it very hard to believe that it followed the exact curve of the "ball earth"

Surely refracted light would give a distorted laser point at the other end, like the distortion of a mirage? I think the point of this exercise is to discount atmospheric refraction.

Erm the laser will be nothing like a point after traveling through miles of atmosphere - it'll be spread over a large area and very likely be moving around all over the place, flickering just like a mirage. Just the beam spread in still air will be significant, but then add in wind and density changes. Again do the maths. How many tenths of a degree must the laser be refracted over a mile or so to make a difference of meters over a few km. Just holding and aiming the thing over that distance isn't easy.

I don't take science blindly - I look at the error ranges and how they've been considered. The point is that real science does this and attempts to quantify and account for things with will cause variation.

The first Bedford levels experiments and lots of experiments on YouTube aren't fake, they've just not understood all the factors involved nor accounted for them.

The distance you can see varies. That doesn't make the world flat.

This week jeranism is going to be performing an interesting experiment with a laser that was kindly donated to him, details below.

I must admit I trust his intent in this matter and if indeed he detects a curve I am quite sure he will not cover it up, but report it honestly, I am looking forward to the results very much, whichever way they go. Wish I could be there to witness the event..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qR-cQxOqPo

I have also been trying to find credible (time lapse) star trails showing the position of Polaris on the web, I have found a few but the problem is conformation of their true location taken.

If the above laser experiment shows no curvature across a large body of water then I think we can safly say the consensus view on the globe is in serious doubt indeed.

Looking forward to this.

To me, a laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) aims a straight and tight beam from point A to point B

How Jeranism verifies his equations will be extremely interesting and will either champion the idea that the world is flat or it will provide evidence that the world is round.

I hope to see many views from different angles.

Either way, I like to see people experiment and good for him in attempting this to satisfy his own thoughts.

Chinahand - lets see what happens and then comment afterwards, regardless of whatever theory or information/fact is known.

All I ask for is the truth and hope that Jeranism does just that.

Do flat earthers believe that it is only the earth that is flat, and that all the other planets, (natural) satellites and stars are spheroids?

You can see that the moon is a sphere, the phases of the moon fit with it being a sphere (that orbits a sphere) with equipment you can see the other planets and their satellites are spheres, is it just the earth that is special?

It would be interesting to ask a flat earther, pity there aren't any real ones around here to ask.

Do flat earthers believe that it is only the earth that is flat, and that all the other planets, (natural) satellites and stars are spheroids?

Prominent present day advocates don't believe that the Earth or any other planet or star is flat. They peddle their nonsense to see how many idiots they can get to believe it. They enjoy winding up the serious scientists and if they are very good at it, they can make a career and a fortune from it. It is annoying that along the way they denigrate the work of serious mathematicians, astronomers, physicists and astronauts in the eyes of the gullible who actually do believe it.

Archived