Flat Earth?

gerrydandridge

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for sharing that video, before watching it, I had always suffered with truly understanding the idiom "clutching at straws". By that I mean, I knew what it referred to, but found it difficult to believe that someone could actual get into such a desperate position, that they could actual be seen to mimic the desperate actions of a drowning man clutching at straws in a futile hope that they might somehow keep him afloat.

Having seen the truly pathetic attempts by the maker of this video to see something other than a bunch of comedians laughing and mocking the notion of a flat earth, and parodying the notions of the average flat earther in a flippant and mocking tone for the laughter of the audience, and also, the video makers desperate attempt to see and project emotions onto Stephen Fry's face in an earnest plea for someone else to share and validate their delusion has truly educated me to fully appreciate the "clutching at straws" idiom.

my pleasure, i fully understand the woes of idiomatic incoherency, and empathise with those that endure such struggles. i saw stephen squirm and some ball earth skeptics. fry was the clutcher in my view. beauty is in the eye of the comedic holder, after all x

It was the step too far that finally made me realise that these people don't really believe the Earth is flat at all. It is just one massive piss take to get the rest of us at it. Nice wheeze chaps, but you just over egged the pudding with that one.

The only thing we can really be sure of is that we can't be sure of anything outside our own mind.

Why place such a redundant limitation on the statement? We can't be sure of anything.

Saying we can't be sure of anything is a contradiction in terms, as you're saying we can be sure that we can't be sure of anything. Being able to think about this and conclude we can't be sure means we can be sure of our own existence, which can in turn be reduced to certainty of our own cognition.

The only thing we can really be sure of is that we can't be sure of anything outside our own mind.

Why place such a redundant limitation on the statement? We can't be sure of anything.

Saying we can't be sure of anything is a contradiction in terms, as you're saying we can be sure that we can't be sure of anything. Being able to think about this and conclude we can't be sure means we can be sure of our own existence, which can in turn be reduced to certainty of our own cognition.

It all depends where you go with it really, lets say you believe in last Thursdayism, the notion that the entire universe was created at a running start complete with the memories and evidence to give the impression of a past that existed before Thursday, yet those are all just products of creation. How can a person who believes this deal with and argue with someone who believes in NEXT Thursdayism, the belief that the universe will begin next Thursday, and that the events that we believe are happening right now, me writing this and you reading it, are not actually happening, because the universe hasn't started yet, but we are both (along with everyone else) lying on some great celestial workbench, having these memories poured into our newly created minds in order to prepare us for the running start universe that is coming next Thursday.

With the solipsist argument that "I can only know that I exist", can you argue against the notion that you are in fact not real, but are an incredibly well conceived puppet created by the only real mind that is supposed to exist in the solipsist universe. how are you able to prove that your thoughts are your thoughts, and not projected onto you by the real mind that invented you to continue the façade that it isn't alone in the universe.

While I don't agree with solipsism, I do agree with their notion "I think therefore I am, but I'm not so sure about the rest of you" but it's not the existence part that I have trouble with, it's the notion that some of you are doing any thinking that gives me doubts.

That logic is flawed. It is not a contradiction in terms. "We can't be sure of anything" stands scrutiny. We can't EVEN be sure that we can't be sure of anything.

Thank you for sharing that video, before watching it, I had always suffered with truly understanding the idiom "clutching at straws". By that I mean, I knew what it referred to, but found it difficult to believe that someone could actual get into such a desperate position, that they could actual be seen to mimic the desperate actions of a drowning man clutching at straws in a futile hope that they might somehow keep him afloat.

Having seen the truly pathetic attempts by the maker of this video to see something other than a bunch of comedians laughing and mocking the notion of a flat earth, and parodying the notions of the average flat earther in a flippant and mocking tone for the laughter of the audience, and also, the video makers desperate attempt to see and project emotions onto Stephen Fry's face in an earnest plea for someone else to share and validate their delusion has truly educated me to fully appreciate the "clutching at straws" idiom.

my pleasure, i fully understand the woes of idiomatic incoherency, and empathise with those that endure such struggles. i saw stephen squirm and some ball earth skeptics. fry was the clutcher in my view. beauty is in the eye of the comedic holder, after all x

It was the step too far that finally made me realise that these people don't really believe the Earth is flat at all. It is just one massive piss take to get the rest of us at it. Nice wheeze chaps, but you just over egged the pudding with that one.

dont be silly wooley. watch the video and use your brain. ball earth skeptics are all around you x

No good backpedaling now, Paul. You really shouldn't have posted that Fry video. Now everyone knows that none of this is for real. By pushing it too far into the realms of the ridiculous you have collapsed the entire house of cards that Gerry has been building. Nobody would believe your take on that. For whoever originated it, it is an exercise in seeing how far the stupid will follow. It's been quite a ride but it's over.

The world might as well be flat if we never leave it. When was the last time we ventured out to another celestial body? 1969? What have we been doing in the interim other than bombing other countries and having the same old political corruption, growing inequality, and generally destroying the planet with pollution? We've made some technological advances since then, no doubt about that, but where is it all leading? Instead of technology and automation being used to liberate and empower us, there is a growing trend where we see it being turned inward on us, used to surveil, control, exploit and kill people. Too many people with flat minds and flat hearts running the show and forcing flat ideas and lies on us, it's no wonder some people gravitate toward conspiracy theories.

Archived