'Plane Crash.

Addie

I believe I posted it earlier in the thread, but in my opinion if someone in that sort of job is found to be suicidal the doctor should be able to contact their employer and (without giving details) say "This person is unfit to work until I say otherwise".

That might put other suicidal pilots off seeking treatment and lead to more planes being crashed.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mad, I could have pulled mad sickies with that excuse at the doctors...

There's been other cases where pilots have gone mad and crashing planes, but I think this is the most amount of deaths caused by it.

I believe I posted it earlier in the thread, but in my opinion if someone in that sort of job is found to be suicidal the doctor should be able to contact their employer and (without giving details) say "This person is unfit to work until I say otherwise".

That might put other suicidal pilots off seeking treatment and lead to more planes being crashed.

Why would it? They can't fire you for being signed off on the sick.

I don't know. Like you I haven't a clue whether it would or not.

Er, you can't say that it might when you can't think of any reason it would.

You seem to use this cop-out in a lot of threads.

Yes I can. I expect there are policy makers who decide these things who are much better informed than us, and I bet things are as they are because they are judged to be the best methodology. I doubt they need idiots like us putting our misinformed oars in.

Yes I can. I expect there are policy makers who decide these things who are much better informed than us, and I bet things are as they are because they are judged to be the best methodology. I doubt they need idiots like us putting our misinformed oars in.

Which, of course, is why nothing ever changes and all laws, practices and policies have been the same since we invented paper + pens.

Might not be sackable, but a lengthy time signed off sick can be damaging to a career. And it will have social implications as colleagues would inevitably ask questions.

Crashing a plane into a mountain is pretty damaging to your career too.

>They can't fire you for being signed off on the sick.

Correct, once you're signed off by the quack, your employer can't (legally) touch you.
TBT.

No but an airline could make things mighty difficult for a pilot who had been on the sick for a long time. The CAA or its equivalent might be asking questions too.

Alternately, the airline might want him back at work "at ALL costs" due to customer demand.

Saves on having to hire in another pilot (locum?), thus saving money.

Depending on the findings of the French equivalent of the Air Accident Investigation Board (AAIB), Germanwings may not come out of this blameless.

A tragedy I appreciate, but the co-pilot was of unbalanced mind and if his employers were complicit (i.e. not dealing effectively with a known problem), then they too must share the blame.

Lessons to be learnt here for those with mental health issues and those trained/paid to deal with them.

TBT.

The simple measure of always having two people on the flight deck would help a lot, and from recent experience as the man in seat 3F, not all European airlines are observing it. The procedure should be that the pilot calls a flight attendant when he or she wishes to leave the flight deck, buzzes the flight attendant in, and leaves the FA in the jump seat whilst they are away from the cockpit. It isn't foolproof, but it would probably have stopped Lubitz, who waited for his moments alone rather than engaging in a physical scrummage over the controls.

That has been the practice in the US for many years, and most european airlines changed their procedures following the Germanwings crash. It really should be mandated now.

Archived