Can you solve the maths question for Singapore schoolkids that went viral?

pongo

I've just seen these two headlines:

Baby, mother and nan are all born on the same day defying odds of 50-million-to-one

Harper Taylor, from Birmingham, was born on February 8 this year - joining her mother Evie Berry, 26, and grandmother Jacqui Berry, 59, who both share the ...

What are the actual odds of this happening?

Goodness maths illiteracy rules ok!

I don’t think it’s possible for three generations of a human family to be born on the same day. Mayflies maybe but not humans. (Unless  a 16 year old gives birth the same day as her 32 year old Mum and 48 year old Gran, which doesn’t seem likely).

Incidentally, did you see that the world’s oldest man turned 112 yesterday. And that he shares his birthday and year with Britain’s oldest woman. And until recently he was only England’s oldest man because there was a guy in Scotland also born on the same day and year, but he died, too many battered Mars bars I guess. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Declan said:

I don’t think it’s possible for three generations of a human family to be born on the same day. Mayflies maybe but not humans. (Unless  a 16 year old gives birth the same day as her 32 year old Mum and 48 year old Gran, which doesn’t seem likely).

I like your answer Declan what you’ve put in brackets is indeed very unlikely, if the 16 also gave birth on her birthday then the likelihood is indeed one in 50 million but that isn’t what the newspapers are reporting which is much more likely. 

Edited by Chinahand

7 hours ago, Declan said:

Incidentally, did you see that the world’s oldest man turned 112 yesterday. And that he shares his birthday and year with Britain’s oldest woman. And until recently he was only England’s oldest man because there was a guy in Scotland also born on the same day and year, but he died, too many battered Mars bars I guess. 

I had heard this and it is amazing. Now I’ll defer to those with greater expertise but I do think the probability of these three oldies all having the luxury of being born on the same specific day - ie the day which results them being the oldest people in the world is one in 50 million which is quite different affair than 3 people being born on a general day only special because granny was born on that particular day - ie one of the 3. 

Isn't it only 365 * 365 that nan, mum and baby have the same birthday? so about 133K And that assumes Nan and Mum only had one baby each.

The odds would only be 50 million to one if someone, say great-grandad, placed a bet pre-conception specifying the date.  i.e. "the missus will give birth to her only baby on 8th February any year and that baby will grow up to give birth to her only baby on 8th February any year, which will in turn give birth to her only baby on 8th February any year."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Isn't it only 365 * 365 that nan, mum and baby have the same birthday? so about 133K And that assumes Nan and Mum only had one baby each.

The odds would only be 50 million to one if someone, say great-grandad, placed a bet pre-conception specifying the date.  i.e. "the missus will give birth to her only baby on 8th February any year and that baby will grow up to give birth to her only baby on 8th February any year, which will in turn give birth to her only baby on 8th February any year."

And even that could be gamed a bit. Say he got odds of 50 million to one from the bookies and only had sex (with his wife) on the 8th May...

It’s reminiscent of the old “how many people do you need in a room such that there’s a better than even money chance that two of them share a birthday?” problem. The answer is 23, I think, but right now no doubt the rozzers would come and break up such a gathering before such a thing could be verified.