Amy's in the race!

FACT

At first it was just "off island" now it is "a long standing commitment". she did suggest phoning in but obviously MR would have none of that.
I wait to see if she can find a reason not to attend the requisition meeting. This is beginning to sound like Martin Moore and his "aliens are tracking my phone" excuse last time.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berlin's analysis is artifically simplistic, but that's philosophy for you, of any stripe.

I think the question of negative versus positive liberty concerns a philosophical orientation, a way of viewing things, rather than adhering to a set of doctrines or a fully fledged system of thought; so of course it's going to be idealised, vague, and open to interpretation. Nobody suggested otherwise. I think Sauin is right that if you can figure out a candidate's perspective on what constitutes freedom (liberty), you can extrapolate and figure out what kind of an MHK they would make and how they would likely vote on issues that are important to you.

So Amy isn't doing the Manx Radio live interview today's - it speaks volumes

Has she given a reason?

She's off Island being measured up for her bullet proof vest.

Why not borrow Eddie Teare's old one and save the taxpayer a few quid?

Death threats my eye; on the IoM? w00t.gif

TBT.

... of course it's going to be idealised, vague, and open to interpretation. Nobody suggested otherwise.

Sauin's post yesterday morning suggested exactly that, as I recall, but it's been removed now. Go figure.

if you can figure out a candidate's perspective on what constitutes freedom (liberty), you can extrapolate and figure out what kind of an MHK they would make and how they would likely vote on issues that are important to you.

Alternatively, you could just ask a candidate how they would vote on such issues, and cut out out all the inferential studenty bollocks.

It's quicker and more efficient to ask someone where they stand on the subject of liberty and extrapolate from there than to sit and ask them how they'd vote on each of potentially hundreds of different issues that may or may not arise during their five years in office.

If they commit themselves to a philosophy, you can more readily hold them accountable in their decisions and judge them with a verifiable and qualitative base line. It also allows you to compare and contrast prospective candidates more easily. In fact, this is one of the reasons why some people on here keep - in my view, mistakenly - advocating a party political system.

At first it was just "off island" now it is "a long standing commitment". she did suggest phoning in but obviously MR would have none of that.

I wait to see if she can find a reason not to attend the requisition meeting. This is beginning to sound like Martin Moore and his "aliens are tracking my phone" excuse last time.

I suppose Skype/Facetime/gotomeeting is asking a bit much from prospective MHK's who should be looking at every opportunity to win the public over. Same with the meeting Next week.

Its not the first interview she has missed. She missed the one with PM because she was at the NSC and he wouldn't interview her there. No doubt that was a long standing commitment too.

The other candidates all seem to be able to attend these interviews without any issue.

Going back to last week when she was asked on MR how she would juggle her current job and being an MHK, I think that this is a relevant question to any applicant for the job.

It is irrelevant that she currently is a mother/homemaker, its how she is going to arrange her time and what is going to take priority.

The same question would apply if she owned a shop and was childless and was wanting to become an MHK.

So far during the campaign period, on two occasions, personal commitments have taken precedence over pubic commitments. If she is elected, what will take precedence then?

I too will be interested to see if she attends on Tuesday - is anyone from here planning on going?

ETA - I'm surprised there was no explanation on her facebook page or website as to why she wasn't attending today, she doesn't usually refrain from making announcements on there!

Malarkey couldn't remember the name of the new Household Waste Recycling Centre although he was photographed last week opening it after the recent re-branding. I'm not very impressed.

Is that not very impressed by Malarkey or not very impressed he couldn't remember the name of recycling centre?

I suppose Skype/Facetime/gotomeeting is asking a bit much from prospective MHK's who should be looking at every opportunity to win the public over. Same with the meeting Next week.

Its not the first interview she has missed. She missed the one with PM because she was at the NSC and he wouldn't interview her there. No doubt that was a long standing commitment too.

The other candidates all seem to be able to attend these interviews without any issue.

Going back to last week when she was asked on MR how she would juggle her current job and being an MHK, I think that this is a relevant question to any applicant for the job.

It is irrelevant that she currently is a mother/homemaker, its how she is going to arrange her time and what is going to take priority.

The same question would apply if she owned a shop and was childless and was wanting to become an MHK.

So far during the campaign period, on two occasions, personal commitments have taken precedence over pubic commitments. If she is elected, what will take precedence then?

I too will be interested to see if she attends on Tuesday - is anyone from here planning on going?

ETA - I'm surprised there was no explanation on her facebook page or website as to why she wasn't attending today, she doesn't usually refrain from making announcements on there!

Good points.

If she's elected, could it be possible to 'conference call' any Tynwald votes straight through to Marco Leonetti's salon?

That way Ms Burns won't miss the all-important appointment.

TBT.

Archived