Amy's in the race!

FACT

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the early days of the wonderful popular elections in the late 1800s the candidates, some of whom were the likes of bank mangers and advocates, had their clerks and colleagues in the room to note who votes for who (at first it was a show of hands and not by ballot). Those afraid of never getting a bank loan etc knew exactly which way to vote.

I have to say that a glare from a scouse brow cmight often speak volumes - "we know where you live"

Well, tonight it will be anonymous voting. Candidates are allowed to stand at the entrance of the polling station but not inside apart from when they vote themselves (iirc). Also, no posters or other material within a certain radius of polling stations and no open influencing.

Once voting closes, the count starts, which means a lock-in without booze (doors are literally locked, nobody in or out) and then volunteers count all votes, spoiled papers are inspected by all candidates, and if the count is close, a recount may be carried out. Can't remember what limit we agreed on, but usually a couple of hundred votes is close enough for a recount if a candidate requests it. Results should be in well before midnight.

Anyone from the media doing exit polls?

Surely, the question is not, who is Jess Tickle? It's not even who is ManxMax? Surely there is only question we must ask ourselves, this night of all nights, as we stand surrounded by electorates on the cusp of history. A question that can only be asked using a special anti-IP-Tabbing cloaking device is

Who the fuck is Donna Winterburn?

She's one of the admins on the Manx Shops and Service Good and Bad Facebook page.

Is it too late for me to request a car to take me to vote?

I don't have a vote but a taxi to Douglas could be useful as I need to go to M&S for some Prosecco.

Just wondered if you can do a GSCE in this.

Has Narcissism triumphed over social solidarity?

http://www.markedbyteachers.com/gcse/sociology/has-narcissism-triumphed-over-social-solidarity.html

The specific definition of Narcissism is – complete self-love, as first highlighted by Freud as a stage of child development. But, for the purpose of social study Giddens gives a more applicable and relevant definition.

‘ Narcissism relates outside events to the needs and desires of the self, asking only ‘what this means to me’ (Giddens, 1991 p170)

In terms of social solidarity the idea of living solely for ‘the self’ is in flat contradiction to the work ethics and family bonds with which social solidarity is sustained. Again with Giddens,

‘Social bonds and engagements increasingly thereafter recede in favour of an endless and obsessive preoccupation with social identity’ (Giddens, 1991 p170)

Archived