Amy's in the race!

FACT

I think Amy was happier than Bill when the results were read out (see MTTV ) although to be fair Bill got a bit of a snog there I noticed. It reminded me of Geoff Corkish at Tynwald Day a couple of years ago or was it last year, when he said hello to the Governor's wife and instead of politely shaking her hand he went in for the kiss but maybe it was only on the cheek rather than full on the lips, I couldn't tell, but hey who really cares, as long as they are ok about it and hopefully Adam was busy shaking hands with some of the others and didn't see the slip in etiquette.

It is all rather odd, but hey that's politics.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was on nights like this, when the wind drew the fire in, all the heat went up the chimney, when the fire couldn’t heat the room. Nights like this when the draughts flew under the kitchen door, flew under the front door. Nights like this when the broken window in the back bedroom let in the gale.

So, those nights, with the house too cold, it was out to the cowshed. The cows in the stalls, with the sound of them chewing the mangled turnip the only sound. The only sound apart from the wind whistling outside. Whistling through the now bare trees. Nights like these were dark. Very dark, no stars, just wind.

So sitting on the stool, as near the cows as possible, that was where the warmth was. That was where the only warmth was. Later days, having bought a wireless powered by a glass accumulator battery, the sound of the cud and wind was drowned out by Radio Luxembourg, before it became a ‘pop’ station. Take Your Pick, Opportunity Knocks and Candid Mike – all hosted by young men with false American accents, long before they were famous on the television - Michael Miles, Hughie Green, Jonathon Routh.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, does anyone know of those days?

Do they know of the smell and warmth of the cows and their shed?

You're MHK David Anderson and I claim my £5

Etiquette requiements for the Gov and his missus? Traitor! Forelock tugging not required.

Burns / Malarkey conspiracy? Rubbish. No one could put their self through an election campaign without the hope that they will win or, at least, do well for their own sake.

272 first preference votes, not a bad result for all her faults as seen here on MF.

Nice to see 'first preference votes' used on here in relation to two vote elections. No such thing as 'my two favourites'!

Etiquette requiements for the Gov and his missus? Traitor! Forelock tugging not required.

Burns / Malarkey conspiracy? Rubbish. No one could put their self through an election campaign without the hope that they will win or, at least, do well for their own sake.

272 first preference votes, not a bad result for all her faults as seen here on MF.

Nice to see 'first preference votes' used on here in relation to two vote elections. No such thing as 'my two favourites'!

Have I missed the point here?

I was sure that when I voted in 2011, I had two votes for two seats.

Have I missed the point here?

I was sure that when I voted in 2011, I had two votes for two seats.

Yes, 2011 was two votes per voter in a two seat constituency and the two with the most votes got elected.

For these by-elections you only had one vote as there was only one vacancy. Again, the one with most votes got the seat.

I am disgusted by the unnecessary nastiness displayed in this thread. As has been mentioned, she stood which is more than can be said for the likes of OMF and the other rent a gob keyboard kitchen sink politicians posting personal insults. She is just an ordinary young woman and at least she fucking tried!

I couldn't careless as the genuine nastiness this person has displayed to almost everyone else she was standing with warrants a lot of the extreme responses. I'm also sick and tired of seeing her stupid pouting face everytime I read the paper whinging about the whole world being out to get her. Nobody is asking her to do that. She chooses to ram that in the faces of the general public as if she's seeking some sort of sympathy vote. Oh the whole world is out to get you .... Poor you. It's just awful and it winds people up because it looks so awful. She comes across as a pretty despicable person from her media and social media postings. She has chosen to portray herself in that way. Nobody has done that but herself. You can't blame people for saying it how it is.

Yes she had a go .. and cheapened the whole political debate in the process.

What you fail to see, as many have suspected now, is what is becoming clear after the result. She was probably never anything but Malarkeys attack dog. He probably quietly backed someone who was basically an abusive idiot to throw a load of shit at Liberal Vannin so that the vote would be diluted. That she has done well and Malarkey got in, and furthermore his hands look clean as Little Miss Nasty has taken all the flack. It's quite a good tactic as long as you know you have someone who is stupid and uncontrollable enough to really push the envelope so that she not only makes you look sane in comparison, but she also takes votes away from Liberal Vannin by playing the sympathy card with a lot of the ignorant chavs who support her. It's actually quite a good tactic. We see she's now come out in support for Bill now. Well who'd have guessed?

Not me.

Amy is obviously such a loose cannon there's no chance at all of her embracing any kind of tactical approach to the benefit of the hot tub affectionado. Sure she constantly slagged off LibVan, even porting her facebook "whoever disagrees with me is doing it because they're just out to bully me" nonsense to the post-election wash-up, probably because she saw LibVan as the easiest to diss to get their voters on her side a la Kate Beecroft being allegedly unaware of what's going on at grassroots level (to put it politely)....

But Mr Buttery is pretty savvy and I'm sure he would never have anything to do with anyone who put hot-tub Bill at an advantage...

It will be interesting to see what Burns and her tribe plus acolytes do next. Has she / they learned anything? That remains to be seen but I suspect that her clumsiness has poisoned the well when it comes to a future in politics. Wilson rightly said that a week is a long time in politics which it is, but when it comes to reputations and public perception even many years, especially on the Island, doesn't dilute let alone reform a character once it has been exposed.

I think she's shot her bolt when it comes to a political career, and based on my perception of Burns - I certainly hope so.

Archived