Amy's in the race!

FACT

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Addie, that's not a proper peerage, save your cash smile.png

*Shocked*. Not real? I can't believe it. I was going to buy that with my soon-to-arrive cheque from the recently deceased Nigerian chief's nephew.

You can't trust anyone these days.

I do wish people would shut up with their nonsensical claim that standing for public office or putting their name to their views is somehow deserving of extra respect or reverence and that those who don't must automatically be cowards or keyboard warriors. The fact is, most of those who do the aforementioned things have reasonable safe life situations - they don't stand the risk that most young people have if they were to publicly stand as candidates or to publicly speak out about political issues. Most young people are too busy working their arses off just to survive and pay rent or save up for a mortgage. Or they have kids and partners they're now responsible for. They can't go off being revolutionaries, losing their job, getting blacklisted, and kissing goodbye to their mortgage and a decent quality of life for their children. The ones who do stand or speak out are generally comfortable in life, own their own homes, own their own businesses, have inherited a comfortable position, or they work for the government and push the government line and then think they're being brave for speaking out (lol). These are not people who have been brought up in council estates and had to work their arses off from day one to get ahead. More to the point, these people who do stand are usually people who are actually not saying anything interesting or radical that would really upset the boat. So please give it a rest.

People who thrive in the present system tend to be fairly thick skinned & with a propensity toward chin wagging (& freemasonry?)

A properly moderated system of direct democracy would undoubtedly be cheaper & offer representation of the views or preferences of the electorate

People who thrive in the present system tend to be fairly thick skinned & with a propensity toward chin wagging (& freemasonry?)

A properly moderated system of direct democracy would undoubtedly be cheaper & offer representation of the views or preferences of the electorate

I kind of got the impression you were a freemason yourself - if so, it's good to hear confirmation from the horse's mouth. :)

So stop put yourself above the rest of us keyboard warriors on the basis of an ancient bid for power, because, really the only difference between you and the rest of us is we didn't need the people of South Douglas to tell us we'd be rubbish MHKs.

It may have escaped your notice but he didn't get elected. So as yet his suitability or not as an MHK is yet to be tested.

Frankly, if you look at who the people of South Douglas did elect and the number of votes that went to Amy, it would appear their judgement is "questionable" shall we say...

I kind of got the impression you were a freemason yourself - if so, it's good to hear confirmation from the horse's mouth. smile.png

Not me

I am beginning to get the impression that a significant proportion of the current Tynwald are members of 'the brotherhood'

I do wish people would shut up with their nonsensical claim that standing for public office or putting their name to their views is somehow deserving of extra respect or reverence and that those who don't must automatically be cowards or keyboard warriors. The fact is, most of those who do the aforementioned things have reasonable safe life situations - they don't stand the risk that most young people have if they were to publicly stand as candidates or to publicly speak out about political issues. Most young people are too busy working their arses off just to survive and pay rent or save up for a mortgage. Or they have kids and partners they're now responsible for. They can't go off being revolutionaries, losing their job, getting blacklisted, and kissing goodbye to their mortgage and a decent quality of life for their children. The ones who do stand or speak out are generally comfortable in life, own their own homes, own their own businesses, have inherited a comfortable position, or they work for the government and push the government line and then think they're being brave for speaking out (lol). These are not people who have been brought up in council estates and had to work their arses off from day one to get ahead. More to the point, these people who do stand are usually people who are actually not saying anything interesting or radical that would really upset the boat. So please give it a rest.

Well said, Isaac

Yes, I think she should have won also

Are you thick or what.....?

From wayyyyyy back:

Amy is a breath of fresh air in Manx politics.

And from what I've seen in places like FB you'll find it directly between her ears...

TBH some of it leans worryingly towards the delusional. However her standing really does epitomise just how Mickey Mouse island politics are. Laughable actually. The expression "Little men in big hats" was just MADE for Tynwald...

Yes, I think she should have won also

Are you thick or what.....?

From wayyyyyy back:

Amy is a breath of fresh air in Manx politics.

And from what I've seen in places like FB you'll find it directly between her ears...

TBH some of it leans worryingly towards the delusional. However her standing really does epitomise just how Mickey Mouse island politics are. Laughable actually. The expression "Little men in big hats" was just MADE for Tynwald...

Why did you consider this worth repeating? Do you think it was funny, or insightful?

I recommend not repeating it again

Archived