Amy's in the race!

FACT

I know of one young person who, within the last 2 years, went for an interview with a major player in the City of London and, whilst being interviewed, was presented with printed copies of pictures they themselves had placed on their Facebook page showing them unconscious in a restaurant due to alcohol consumption. The interviewer asked whether the candidate felt that this behaviour was compatible with the professional image that the company wished to present. She didn't get the job.

A major problem with the gamification of social media. I wonder, did the interviewers' ask about the context, or just go for the public shaming, which is altogether more fun (especially, when you have no history of tradition with the person being shamed).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malarky will be laughing his socks off with this thread...as he busily sneaks in.

If she indeed has the Cretney camp behind her then it's lights out for Bandwagon Bill. Ideally I wouldn't want to see either elected but it's a matter of realities and choosing the smaller of two evils.

Why do you limit it to these two airheads from the UK, when there is also a German guy in the running? Personally, I'd rather see a local person make a stand than yet another off-island "expert" in our government.

It is local persons who have caused the most damage to the Government and its finances so unwise to write off any half decent candidate based on his or her place of birth imo !

Malarky will be laughing his socks off with this thread...as he busily sneaks in.

If she indeed has the Cretney camp behind her then it's lights out for Bandwagon Bill. Ideally I wouldn't want to see either elected but it's a matter of realities and choosing the smaller of two evils.

I sincerely hope it's neither of them. There are two more candidates - neither perfect, perhaps but both are much more credible.

Can we please focus on who gave the green card to her plastering pictures the signs all over Pulrose and not her awful Facebook page. Paging Lego head to this thread.

Proof she plastered them? She isn't responsible for what other people do with her promotional material.

It's all a ruse. She will withdraw from the election at the eleventh hour because of illegal promo posters, blame an oversight by the photocopier, and come back next year all the stronger. devil.gif

For me Buckholtz is the standout candidate and would get my vote. However, my concern is that his obvious agenda in relation to the Steam Packet isn't healthy. I received his campaign flier yesterday and there is too much of that theme running through it,

Which is a shame because given his profile, skills and experience he is very much the sort of candidate we should be attracting in.

Of the others I don't know enough about Mr. Fitton although the LV party seem to make a lot of noise. But we need more than noise. Which is why Amy Burns doens't fill me with confidence. Campaigning is one thing, being part of running a multi billion pound PLC (which is what the IOM is) is completely a different thing.

And Bill Malarkey has already had a go at it. I'd be interested to understand his real motive for trying to land an MHK (and the associated salary package) position.

For me Buckholtz is the standout candidate and would get my vote. However, my concern is that his obvious agenda in relation to the Steam Packet isn't healthy. I received his campaign flier yesterday and there is too much of that theme running through it,

Which is a shame because given his profile, skills and experience he is very much the sort of candidate we should be attracting in.

Of the others I don't know enough about Mr. Fitton although the LV party seem to make a lot of noise. But we need more than noise. Which is why Amy Burns doens't fill me with confidence. Campaigning is one thing, being part of running a multi billion pound PLC (which is what the IOM is) is completely a different thing.

And Bill Malarkey has already had a go at it. I'd be interested to understand his real motive for trying to land an MHK (and the associated salary package) position.

That worries me too, sometimes very intelligent and educated people can be so single minded that they lose sight of what they should really be doing.

I would suggest that Bill is making an absolute fortune fixing stuff - washing machines and stuff like that, I believe. And surely a 4 figure sum guaranteed every week, big pension too and loads of meetings (about fixing stuff) and important people of the Island buttering up and stroking the ego. Buffets abound and dinner parties with the big boys too.

He must be standing to give all this up for altruistic reasons and the love of the people.

At his last term in Tynwald Mallarkey presented for election as a Lib Van candidate. A while after being elected on that ticket he jumped ship but didn't have the balls or the integrity to allow his constituents the mid term option as to their approval of his dramatically altered political stance.

He is nothing more than another democracy thief who steals away the rights of the electorate to be represented for a full 5 year term on the manifesto that they elected him on.

Flitton appears to be a decent candidate. Buckholtz to be honest just gives the impression that he needs a job after pissing off most of government over the SPC challenge and probably investing a fair bit into a shipping line that went nowhere. Cretney in particular as an ardent SPC fan won't like the prospect of him getting in as there was considerable friction between them over the whole Ellan Vannin Lines debacle. Cretney also won't want to see Malarkey getting in and is probably happy that the number of candidates is diluting the vote. Alternatively he also won't want to see Flitton get in as then LV get two candidates on his 'manor' between him and Kate Beecroft and that simply won't do for the diehard Manx Labour old guard.

So the only plausible conclusion anyone can reach is that someone wants to see a candidate get in who isn't too bright and who can be managed to ensure existing vested interests are preserved. Step forward Amy. The full on rapid delivery mouthpiece who has a view on most things and isn't frightened of making a spectacle of herself. She's the ultimate easily packaged solution to secure the vote of the South Douglas tracksuit wearers and may well be controllable from the old guard perspective once in. As the Who once said: here comes the new boss, same as the old boss.

The danger might well be that people who get lured into voting for change might actually be subliminally making a vote for the continuation of the same: and Douglas desperately needs change.

Flitton appears to be a decent candidate. Buckholtz to be honest just gives the impression that he needs a job after pissing off most of government over the SPC challenge and probably investing a fair bit into a shipping line that went nowhere. Cretney in particular as an ardent SPC fan won't like the prospect of him getting in as there was considerable friction between them over the whole Ellan Vannin Lines debacle. Cretney also won't want to see Malarkey getting in and is probably happy that the number of candidates is diluting the vote. Alternatively he also won't want to see Flitton get in as then LV get two candidates on his 'manor' between him and Kate Beecroft and that simply won't do for the diehard Manx Labour old guard.

So the only plausible conclusion anyone can reach is that someone wants to see a candidate get in who isn't too bright and who can be managed to ensure existing vested interests are preserved. Step forward Amy. The full on rapid delivery mouthpiece who has a view on most things and isn't frightened of making a spectacle of herself. She's the ultimate easily packaged solution to secure the vote of the South Douglas tracksuit wearers and may well be controllable from the old guard perspective once in. As the Who once said: here comes the new boss, same as the old boss.

The danger might well be that people who get lured into voting for change might actually be subliminally making a vote for the continuation of the same: and Douglas desperately needs change.

An interesting (and certainly plausible) theory. It'll be worth watching Amy's election "machine" to see if there are any familiar faces (or fingerprints) involved.

The Amy election machine only seems to give updates on facebook - for those who don't have it or can't be arsed with it

David Cretney has nothing to do with her or her manifesto its all her own work

Her posters have Bridson & Horrox on the bottom - she is asking people not to photocopy them (presumably because when they do who printed them doesn't appear thumbsup.gif )

Not best chuffed about the caravan photo.

And finally "I will put money on me having more qualifications than anyone who is taking their time out to make so many non backed up statements"

Is the German blokes manifesto online anywhere? I would like to take a read

And finally "I will put money on me having more qualifications than anyone who is taking their time out to make so many non backed up statements"

I'll take that bet. If only there was some sort of locally-based online gambling facility we could trust to run the book...

The Amy election machine only seems to give updates on facebook - for those who don't have it or can't be arsed with it

David Cretney has nothing to do with her or her manifesto its all her own work

Her posters have Bridson & Horrox on the bottom - she is asking people not to photocopy them (presumably because when they do who printed them doesn't appear thumbsup.gif )

Not best chuffed about the caravan photo.

Is the German blokes manifesto online anywhere? I would like to take a read

a) So precisely what ARE her qualifications

and

b) She would loose.

Archived