Amy's in the race!

FACT

According to the mods, it's not libel to say anything you like about a user name, because they can't link the user name to an individual.

I dunno about that. If it could be proved that a user name can clearly be linked to an individual, even if only by a few other people, and what had been written was indeed libellous, what would the implications for that be? I've had untrue malicious things written about me here, and several people know me from my user name. I was advised that I might well have a case for libel.

But of course you would have to show in court that your poor delicate soul had been damaged. Whoever you were trying to litigate against would have a field day digging out your own epitomes of sweet forum intercourse.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But of course you would have to show in court that your poor delicate soul had been damaged. Whoever you were trying to litigate against would have a field day digging out your own epitomes of sweet forum intercourse.

You're clearly a bigger dick than I had you down for (and that's saying something). As Mr Sausages says, it's damage to one's reputation that counts, and any resultant proven material loss. You'd be hard pressed to find anything libellous written by me on these boards. I'm not that stupid.

Well it did sound like bullshit to me, especially in my case, since I'm called Declan in the real world. But the matter went away, and it was the only time I've had to report a post like that, so I let it drop. Did leave a nasty taste in the mouth though.

I'd say it was bullshit. I didn't take legal advice or anything, I mean I wasn't that bothered about it really even though it was just about as bad an accusation as you can get and totally untrue. I just asked one of the lawyers in my family about it and that was their immediate opinion. Anyway, the snotty PMs that I got from MF's mod team that I was objecting without cause didn't stop them from removing the offending posts, so I suspect they secretly agreed with me really.

In fact it could be summarised thus.

Can you prove that you have been identified in real life through your user name?

Can you prove your reputation was damaged by what was written?

Was what was written untrue?

If the answer to those three questions is yes, you have a case for libel.*

*Edit to add, not against Manx Forums of course, unless they failed to respond to your requests to remove the offending material, but against the user who originally wrote it.

You're clearly a bigger dick than I had you down for (and that's saying something). As Mr Sausages says, it's damage to one's reputation that counts, and any resultant proven material loss. You'd be hard pressed to find anything libellous written by me on these boards. I'm not that stupid.

Do you know, there was me, trying my best from memory to find the absolute verbatim correct definitive legal phrase. I could have sworn it was “damage to a person's poor wee delicate soul”. Ah well, every day is a school day.

Tattysmcgee - Joined Manx forums the last time a thread was started about Amy and has only contributed to anything on her.

Yes her friends and supporters are going to come on here and defend her when clearly there are people with their own issues using this as a platform to try and get to her.

Carry on because all your doing is showing everyone associated with Amy that she has been telling the truth about the harassment she has been dealing with for years (and this is not aimed at all users just the ones who are abusing the usage of the forum).

stalker stalker stalker. stop harassing me. bew hew. i'm going to cry now stop picking on me. blah blah blah. #grip

Tattysmcgee - Joined Manx forums the last time a thread was started about Amy and has only contributed to anything on her.

Yes her friends and supporters are going to come on here and defend her when clearly there are people with their own issues using this as a platform to try and get to her.

Carry on because all your doing is showing everyone associated with Amy that she has been telling the truth about the harassment she has been dealing with for years (and this is not aimed at all users just the ones who are abusing the usage of the forum).

stalker stalker stalker. stop harassing me. bew hew. i'm going to cry now stop picking on me. blah blah blah. #grip

Grow up

I'm trying to recall if Declan was a moderator when a certain poster on here offended someone, a developer I think it was, and settled by donating £1000 to charity.

Mind you, that's not as bad as what happened to Mr Slim. IMHO anyway.

Archived