Amy's in the race!

FACT

Isaac - It's a pity that you think me pointing out that Beecroft/LV pulling the biggest political con trick of modern times is unoriginal. Rather than perpetually griping about government's Pinewood investment - yes, we've got it...it's no winner - where is LVs alternative plan for creative investment/ new business generation....? Er...there isn't one. No-one is suggesting suicidal policies such as a 50% cut in government services (other than your unsophisticated illustration) I'm just seeking some alternative proposals/heads for discussion/new agenda/refreshed economic plan. Will I get one from Beecroft? No. Why? Because she's a classic empty-headed, gossip over the fence, " I could do better" malcontent without a shred of political insight or originality. LV are a waste of fucking time. And so is she.

So what is your alternative plan for creative investment / new business generation? As far as I can see, the current policy is to keep things the way they are, to make the island business friendly through tax incentives, adapting legislation to market developments, and generally staying out of business' way to let businesses' do what businesses do. It isn't the role of government to be creating new business. The clue is in the word "Liberal" - from Wikipedia: Economic liberalism is the ideological belief in organizing the economy on individualist lines, meaning that the greatest possible number of economic decisions are made by individuals and not by collective institutions or organizations. In other words, as little government involvement as possible. Or at least that's my understanding of liberalism - the Liberal Vannin party may not agree with me. Either way, I don't accept your criticism, as it is based on the false premise of centralised economic planning. Are you a communist or something? I've spoken with Kate Beecroft and she isn't even remotely "empty-headed"; she knows what she's talking about - and knows what she doesn't know - and I don't even know what planet you're on when you talk about "gossip" - you have her confused with someone else. You're obviously some political hack who has an agenda.

Thought this all along and should really go into politics if not already in some way.

Not too keen on Uhtred's views but at least he says his piece and willing to put it forward for others to see. (That I do like)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Uhtred I would like to see some original thinking behind buzzwords like " a renewed focus on how new technology, developing markets, AIM, and social enterprises might galvanize our economy and society" in simple terms like "we can do this because..."

Let's see your business plan.

OK - new technology. Solar power has a decent history of returning on investment but has been overshadowed (pun intended) by fashionable wind and wave power. These are much less well developed and also questionable. We have expertise in high-tech engineering - Swagelock; Strix. Has government said " look lads, e-gaming is over the crest, banking is heading east and is revolutionized by the Internet etc. can you offer us some new areas to exploit in energy generation/ management. We'll chuck a few quid your way to support research".

New markets - India, Brazil, south east Asia. What is IOMG (or even God forbid, Liberal Vannin) doing to analyze if we can exploit any of our expertise in supporting/benefitting from these burgeoning economies. China - fine....but it's last week. Are we looking forward?

AIM - does IOMG seek likely looking companies on AIM that may be encouraged to set up here by way of tax breaks, capital support, that may generate employment? Or do we just twiddle our thumbs and hope for the best?

Social enterprise - is government looking at how the independent, not for profit, sector might be developed to run care services with community involvement? This can support high standards, reduce state expenditure, and still return funding into communties.

OK PK - I'm trying; so other than your rather tedious and negative challenges, what ideas do you have?

Isaac - It's a pity that you think me pointing out that Beecroft/LV pulling the biggest political con trick of modern times is unoriginal. Rather than perpetually griping about government's Pinewood investment - yes, we've got it...it's no winner - where is LVs alternative plan for creative investment/ new business generation....? Er...there isn't one. No-one is suggesting suicidal policies such as a 50% cut in government services (other than your unsophisticated illustration) I'm just seeking some alternative proposals/heads for discussion/new agenda/refreshed economic plan. Will I get one from Beecroft? No. Why? Because she's a classic empty-headed, gossip over the fence, " I could do better" malcontent without a shred of political insight or originality. LV are a waste of fucking time. And so is she.

So what is your alternative plan for creative investment / new business generation? As far as I can see, the current policy is to keep things the way they are, to make the island business friendly through tax incentives, adapting legislation to market developments, and generally staying out of business' way to let businesses' do what businesses do. It isn't the role of government to be creating new business. The clue is in the word "Liberal" - from Wikipedia: Economic liberalism is the ideological belief in organizing the economy on individualist lines, meaning that the greatest possible number of economic decisions are made by individuals and not by collective institutions or organizations. In other words, as little government involvement as possible. Or at least that's my understanding of liberalism - the Liberal Vannin party may not agree with me. Either way, I don't accept your criticism, as it is based on the false premise of centralised economic planning. Are you a communist or something? I've spoken with Kate Beecroft and she isn't even remotely "empty-headed"; she knows what she's talking about - and knows what she doesn't know - and I don't even know what planet you're on when you talk about "gossip" - you have her confused with someone else. You're obviously some political hack who has an agenda.

Thought this all along and should really go into politics if not already in some way.

Not too keen on Uhtred's views but at least he says his piece and willing to put it forward for others to see. (That I do like)

I have no agenda whatsoever other than frustration that we're all being done over by a lamentable political community not fit to grace a bloody table-tennis club committee. As for being "some political hack" I don't even know what that means.

To be perfectly honest - Kate & Peter are fed a lot of information, research, facts & figures from others which makes them look good.

Not sure they could ever be independent candidates because they need the surport of others like Paul Beckett

What's wrong with people pooling their resources to further a shared goal? It's called team work, enterprise; it would be difficult to run a successful business without having a team of people who rely on each other for support. If they didn't work with others and were on their own, I suspect you'd be on here criticising them for being "mavericks" or a one-man/woman band and therefore unable to work in a parliamentary context.

I have no agenda whatsoever other than frustration that we're all being done over by a lamentable political community not fit to grace a bloody table-tennis club committee.

You're pretty quick on the uptake Uhtred and make more sounds than those currently in office.

Is it worth your while putting your name forward next time round?

I have no agenda whatsoever other than frustration that we're all being done over by a lamentable political community not fit to grace a bloody table-tennis club committee. As for being "some political hack" I don't even know what that means.

No agenda? Now the blow back is starting certain people are clearly starting to regret handing a kid a packet of matches. This whole thing is hilarious and now the angry posts come out from people bricking it and wishing they hadn't help light the touch paper. There will be claims of bullying yet. How dare you not like those horrible things I said about you. Pointing out the fact that I said horrible things to you is clearly a case of you bullying me. Wah Wah, my dads bigger than your dad, and you smell of poo!

This is absolute top quality and watching the anti LV mob now coming out ripping LV to shreds since Amy's campaign appears to have blown up is just like watching pure karma take hold. Don't give bullets to other people and then complain when you get shot.

Let's clear this up - I have no concern about any posts I've made. Amy's a dead loss for the thousand reasons posted on this thread by multiple contributors, me included. LV are a dead loss because they feed off every opportunity to attack government but offer/have offered precisely zero by way of creative alternatives. The current political community of the Island is a dead loss. I'd really like to see political advancement by way of the presentation of policies to regenerate our currently stultified economy; create social equity, try to recapture the entrepreneurial spirit that we've seemingly lost and escape the endemic negativity afflicting Tynwald, the media, these forums and the man in the pub. There; that's it. No agendas; no regrets. If you don't like that - fuck off.

OK - new technology. Solar power has a decent history of returning on investment but has been overshadowed (pun intended) by fashionable wind and wave power. These are much less well developed and also questionable. We have expertise in high-tech engineering - Swagelock; Strix. Has government said " look lads, e-gaming is over the crest, banking is heading east and is revolutionized by the Internet etc. can you offer us some new areas to exploit in energy generation/ management. We'll chuck a few quid your way to support research".

New markets - India, Brazil, south east Asia. What is IOMG (or even God forbid, Liberal Vannin) doing to analyze if we can exploit any of our expertise in supporting/benefitting from these burgeoning economies. China - fine....but it's last week. Are we looking forward?

AIM - does IOMG seek likely looking companies on AIM that may be encouraged to set up here by way of tax breaks, capital support, that may generate employment? Or do we just twiddle our thumbs and hope for the best?

Social enterprise - is government looking at how the independent, not for profit, sector might be developed to run care services with community involvement? This can support high standards, reduce state expenditure, and still return funding into communties.

OK PK - I'm trying; so other than your rather tedious and negative challenges, what ideas do you have?

I'm sorry. But straight off marching in with solar power - on Mannin? Are you for real?

Exploiting new markets - exploiting with expertise in what exactly?

Based on what are my challenges tedious and negative? Evidence please.

Because of the geographical location I can see no other future than knowledge-based expertise being marketable i.e. the location and none e-comms becomes irrelevant. Personally I'm against online gambling e-gaming because for some folks gambling is a disease. Which with the current enthusiasm for it (only growth sector maybe?) makes the place look like a little pool of infection in the Irish Sea...

I'm sorry. But straight off marching in with solar power - on Mannin? Are you for real?

Exploiting new markets - exploiting with expertise in what exactly?

Based on what are my challenges tedious and negative? Evidence please.

Because of the geographical location I can see no other future than knowledge-based expertise being marketable i.e. the location and none e-comms becomes irrelevant. Personally I'm against online gambling e-gaming because for some folks gambling is a disease. Which with the current enthusiasm for it (only growth sector maybe?) makes the place look like a little pool of infection in the Irish Sea...

I didnt mean generating solar power here, I meant using our high tech engineering expertise to reposition solar power within the energy market. Strix developed a global first electrical control mechanism. Why can't we seek to replicate that? Can we apply our knowledge and expertise in high tech engineering in new ways? Or shall we just give up?

Did not Strix avail themselves of large amounts of IoM Govt grants (in the name of local employment, as was designed) during their establishment....and then shift a large amount of their production to the Far East?

I didnt mean generating solar power here, I meant using our high tech engineering expertise to reposition solar power within the energy market. Strix developed a global first electrical control mechanism. Why can't we seek to replicate that? Can we apply our knowledge and expertise in high tech engineering in new ways? Or shall we just give up?

A more relevant question would be, what does any of this have to do with the House of Keys? Sounds like a job for the private sector. All the government should do is step out of the way or amend legislation to create a business-friendly environment.

A more relevant question would be, what does any of this have to do with the House of Keys? Sounds like a job for the private sector. All the government should do is step out of the way or amend legislation to create a business-friendly environment.

Governments the world over support the private sector in researching/developing/enhancing new technology/new markets/new products with a view to longer term employment/trade/tax revenue. That's very much a matter for those seeking election to the HoK. More of a matter than Facebook posts.

Still waiting for your "evidence".

Not used to being put on the back foot, are you...

I worked in the bleeding/cutting edge of IT. So our eight story building had eight football teams. When the casualty list had amongst it a broken leg, two broken noses and a broken collarbone I asked the director why he encouraged it. He replied that he needed us to have good ideas. But you can't force people to have good ideas. All you can do is create an environment that will encourage them.

Amen to that...

Archived