Amy's in the race!

FACT

None of the above. That should be an option on the voting slip and if that has the majority the seat goes for the term. Win win cheap and ridding us of stupid dross in control.

You are right in theory Bees. None of the above is about registering a protest vote (which is great) and lots would exercise that right if given to them: but someone still has to get in. Imagine a scenario where out of 5,000 votes in S.Douglas: 4,500 where for "None of the above" and 500 were for Amy Burns De Yoxall? Your nightmare candidate would still get in as they are they only physical person who can take the position up. Unless it is proposed that the election is re-run and re-run until the votes for physical people outnumber the "None of the aboves" which could be costly indeed? It's a bit like people like Rob Callister getting in unopposed just because nobody could be arsed standing against them. Sadly there isn't an easy answer. Maybe it's better just having a Lee Harvey Oswald character picking off the ones we don't like to discourage the sorry band of chaff we seem to attract from putting their names forward in the first place?

Yes, I got in unopposed and I was grateful for the opportunity at the time because I wasn't well known in or around the village.

During the 2012 Local Authority Elections, there was only 16 contests held in 12 of the Island's 24 local authorities.

There were even fewer contests in 2008, so most Local Authority Members are elected unopposed.

I would hope people don't think I have wasted that opportunity and that I have served Onchan well in the last four years.

Well you certainly set out to impress on here Rob, let's hope that is what people think ;-)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope people don't think I have wasted that opportunity and that I have served Onchan well in the last four years.

Well you certainly set out to impress on here Rob, let's hope that is what people think ;-)

I would vote for Rob without hesitation. He's one of the good guys.

unless he was against amy i too would vote for rob ..he just cant compete on comedy value im afraid... amy is the epitome of protest vote , the closest thing we ever will get to the monster raving loony party

Priceless absolutely priceless, this -has to be the best quote ever for this thread!

None of the above. That should be an option on the voting slip and if that has the majority the seat goes for the term. Win win cheap and ridding us of stupid dross in control.

You are right in theory Bees. None of the above is about registering a protest vote (which is great) and lots would exercise that right if given to them: but someone still has to get in. Imagine a scenario where out of 5,000 votes in S.Douglas: 4,500 where for "None of the above" and 500 were for Amy Burns De Yoxall? Your nightmare candidate would still get in as they are they only physical person who can take the position up. Unless it is proposed that the election is re-run and re-run until the votes for physical people outnumber the "None of the aboves" which could be costly indeed? It's a bit like people like Rob Callister getting in unopposed just because nobody could be arsed standing against them. Sadly there isn't an easy answer. Maybe it's better just having a Lee Harvey Oswald character picking off the ones we don't like to discourage the sorry band of chaff we seem to attract from putting their names forward in the first place?

Yes, I got in unopposed and I was grateful for the opportunity at the time because I wasn't well known in or around the village.

During the 2012 Local Authority Elections, there was only 16 contests held in 12 of the Island's 24 local authorities.

There were even fewer contests in 2008, so most Local Authority Members are elected unopposed.

I wouldn't say impress but engage.

We really do need a "none of the above" option; then, if enough people vote that way, we should get an empty seat.

Preferable to having an empty vessel occupy the seat.

If she got in though it would be joyous watching Claire Christian put some manners on her!

We really do need a "none of the above" option; then, if enough people vote that way, we should get an empty seat.

Preferable to having an empty vessel occupy the seat.

If she got in though it would be joyous watching Claire Christian put some manners on her!

Yeah and Claire is just the person to do it.

Ok so not a mentor program but at least something in place to weed out the fantastically unsuitable and to at least give some confidence that a candidate has the fundamentals covered.

What is needed is a trap door under every MHK's seat in Keys. The moment one of them starts talking bollocks,proposing petty stealth taxes or eying a LegCo seat a lever gets pulled and that member disappears from view,never to be seen again. They would soon get the hang of it.

Ok so not a mentor program but at least something in place to weed out the fantastically unsuitable and to at least give some confidence that a candidate has the fundamentals covered.

What is needed is a trap door under every MHK's seat in Keys. The moment one of them starts talking bollocks,proposing petty stealth taxes or eying a LegCo seat a lever gets pulled and that member disappears from view,never to be seen again. They would soon get the hang of it.

It's called the Pyongyang technique.

Archived