The Warmest Place in the British Isles

Sheldon

Jersey warns of £125m budget shortfall

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/28b1e534-f3c8-11e4-99de-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=intl#axzz3ZkRHb4rb

According to the FT today, Jersey is in a spot of bother. The link above is behind a paywall, but the opening paragraphs are:

Jersey, known as an offshore financial services centre, is facing the prospect of cuts to public sector jobs, charges for hospital visits and a tax on sewage collection in a bid to close a looming hole in its public finances.

The crown dependency says it is facing a £125m budget shortfall by 2019, largely as a result of the weak recovery in the financial services industry the island depends on.

An independent panel that advises the Jersey administration warns of a “significant risk” of a structural deficit, saying “current economic trends will not lead to sufficient growth in tax revenue for [Jersey] to balance its budget by 2018 or 2019”.

I guess they'll all be moving to Norfolk soon.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/28b1e534-f3c8-11e4-99de-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=intl#axzz3ZkRHb4rb

According to the FT today, Jersey is in a spot of bother. The link above is behind a paywall, but the opening paragraphs are:

Jersey, known as an offshore financial services centre, is facing the prospect of cuts to public sector jobs, charges for hospital visits and a tax on sewage collection in a bid to close a looming hole in its public finances.

The crown dependency says it is facing a £125m budget shortfall by 2019, largely as a result of the weak recovery in the financial services industry the island depends on.

An independent panel that advises the Jersey administration warns of a “significant risk” of a structural deficit, saying “current economic trends will not lead to sufficient growth in tax revenue for [Jersey] to balance its budget by 2018 or 2019”.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that providing a tax haven is no longer a viable basis for an economy.

It's been warm here today under milky skies and tomorrow it's going to be even warmer. Bit of a chill wind on the coast still.

There's a great many places that are a whole lot less attractive than here!

It's becoming increasingly obvious that providing a tax haven is no longer a viable basis for an economy.

And that's pretty much all Jersey's got - not even a hint of a film / aerospace / e-gaming Plan B (real or imagined), and less tourism than Foxdale.

It's been warm here today under milky skies and tomorrow it's going to be even warmer. Bit of a chill wind on the coast still.

Glad you're having such a wonderful time over there in the eastern flatlands.

Now please leave us to our miserable existence over here. We'll call if we need you. Thank you for caring.

Now please leave us to our miserable existence over here. We'll call if we need you. Thank you for caring.

Call if you need me?

The way that the Island economy is going down the pan you'll need some help very soon!

My guess sometime in 2017 or very soon after.

An independent panel that advises the Jersey administration warns of a significant risk of a structural deficit, saying current economic trends will not lead to sufficient growth in tax revenue for [Jersey] to balance its budget by 2018 or 2019.

Call if you need me?

The way that the Island economy is going down the pan you'll need some help very soon!

post-1130-0-71362800-1431294440_thumb.jpg

An independent panel that advises the Jersey administration warns of a significant risk of a structural deficit, saying current economic trends will not lead to sufficient growth in tax revenue for [Jersey] to balance its budget by 2018 or 2019.

Call if you need me?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

LOL!

I wish I could be anyone's superman! Those days are long gone.

Archived