21 yr old Boston Bomber to be given death penalty

Isaac

From CNN

In the end, 12 people who spent the past 10 weeks thinking about little else but the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings took just 14 hours to agree that 21-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should be executed for the worst of his crimes -- leaving the bomb that killed a grad student and a little boy near the finish line.

Tsarnaev faced death on 17 counts, but the jury found just six merited the death penalty. They involved the killing of Martin Richard, 8, and Lingzi Lu, 23. Both bled to death in the street after literally being torn apart by hot shrapnel.

I am of two minds about this. I think he should go to prison and all, and his actions certainly merit the death sentence, but I can't say I approve of the execution of a young man who is so young and appears to be mentally ill. It strikes me as a little barbaric, but then again he'll have a more pleasant death than his unfortunate victims and I can see the point to taking a hard line on acts of terrorism and murder. A society which is soft on crime may incur more crime. Then again, some say that violence begets more violence, while some are only too enthusiastic to die as martyrs.

What do others think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The premeditated killing of another human being is wrong. It is only supportable to directly and immediately save lives, for example by shooting an armed gunman. Judicial execution is therefore wrong. Full stop.

Massachusetts does not have the death penalty, and only a small minority of Bostonians support it. Tsarnaev was tried for Federal crimes, however, and the jury were all vetted to ensure that they were morally prepared to impose the death penalty.

How are they killed in Idaho? Is the lethal injection thing sorted out? .

Idaho has lethal injection as the primary method, and shooting by firing squad as a backup.

Tsarnaev is likely to be taken to Indiana, where recent Federal death sentences have been carried out, for example, that of Timothy McVeigh. There is a Federal correctional facility there. Indiana has lethal injection as the sole method.

Why not just take him into the desert, tie him to a post and detonate a bomb next to him. The next terrorist will have something to think about before killing and maiming innocents

Why not just take him into the desert, tie him to a post and detonate a bomb next to him. The next terrorist will have something to think about before killing and maiming innocents

That's just silly and probably wouldn't have any beneficial effect anyway.

That's just silly and probably wouldn't have any beneficial effect anyway.

And you think lethal injection will be beneficial?

Idaho has lethal injection as the primary method, and shooting by firing squad as a backup.

Tsarnaev is likely to be taken to Indiana, where recent Federal death sentences have been carried out, for example, that of Timothy McVeigh. There is a Federal correctional facility there. Indiana has lethal injection as the sole method.

Oops, that's where I meant. Got my Is mixed up. :D But can the US do lethal injection any more, I thought there was an issue because the EU companies were refusing to supply the relevant substances.

Oops, that's where I meant. Got my Is mixed up. biggrin.png But can the US do lethal injection any more, I thought there was an issue because the EU companies were refusing to supply the relevant substances.

A mixture of Roundup, Warfarin and Drain Buster will be an adequate substitute.....

Any hospital or pharmacy will have plenty of drugs that in overdose will kill. The point with the supply argument is that the manufacturers of these drugs object to their use in judicial killings and have threatened to stop supplying them for medical purposes if they're misused. I do find it hard to understand why the US government, or each state for that matter, can't set up a small lab just for producing their own drugs, if they're so inclined. It's not as if the drugs are under patent or anything. Similarly, just go to the local vet and get a dose of something he'd use to kill a horse. That'd work.

I'm generally pro the death penalty, for some classes of un-rehabable criminal. Child abductors who go on to molest and then murder for example - I'd happily pull the trigger or inject the thio myself for those. Have to be proven absolutely of course, which these days is easier than it used to be. I don't see the point of locking someone up forever. I've posted before on here that in cases such as this bomber, I'd give them the option - life without parole, or death. I agree that it's not beneficial, in terms of reducing the likelihood of further attacks etc, but it is probably cheaper.

No, I don't think capital punishment in any form is beneficial.

So how is the alternative beneficial, i.e. keeping the t*** locked away , at great expense, for the rest of his life?

No, I don't think capital punishment in any form is beneficial.

So how is the alternative beneficial, i.e. keeping the t*** locked away , at great expense, for the rest of his life

It costs $87 for the ingredients for a lethal injection. It costs about 30 cents for a 9mm bullet. Massive savings to be made here

Archived