UK Budget

GD4ELI

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You also discounted the cost of going out, but if you eat out that cost is ignored so could mean you only eat, say breakfast, at home meaning £30 is easily achievable. Not a good benchmark of the real costs that someone on benefits has to meet.

What do we eat? Breakfast is toast and a couple of slices of bacon or a fried egg. Lunch is typically a sandwich and a couple of biscuits, our main meal is usually something like Asda chicken portions, with veg in season from our local market and a piece of cake. Sometimes we'll have a baked potato with beans or cheese, other times a piece of beef slow cooked or a boiled ham hock. Morris ons sell turkey leg and Turkey thigh together for £4, for us that's two meals and snacks.

The thigh Mrs. S cooks slowly in the Aga, the leg she boils to make turkey soup by adding some veg and barley.

Another meal for us is half a pound of mince boiled with a tin of value tomato soup added along with barley.

We also make broths in the colder months, inexpensive but nutritious and filling. When we get the occasional crab she freezes the shell and legs until we have a few and then she boils them up, reduces the stock, sieves them, and adds a bit of but term, onion, cooked or left over potato, and a knob of butter and seasoning to make a very nice chowder.

I think that a great many people have forgotten or maybe never learned how to live well without spending a lot of money.

As for us, of course we do treat ourselves from time to time but our basic costs are very small compared to what the costs that people have judging by the high cost rubbish we see them pack into supermarket trollies.

We always have biscuits in the house and fruit in the bowl.

Anyone interested in the UK budget should listen to BBC Radio 4 at 3PM. It will put more pressure on Eddie Teare and his attempt to attract people and companies to the rock.

No it won't.

There was very little in the budget to have any real impact on the Isle of Man.

Which parts were you referring to?

You may get away with £30 in any given week, but surely that will be on the basis that you have a well stocked larder/freezer with the basics and the £30 is for fresh stuff?

Not here, Gladys. Mrs S does have a well stocked spice cupboard but that's all. We buy what's in season, we don't eat meat every day, and we do buy the cheaper cuts, they have just as good flavour if not better than the dearer cuts but just need longer cooking. One of our best buys was the slow cooker. Wouldn't be without one now. Same with the microwave, amazing what can be cooked in one, a cheap cake mix with a few bits and pieces turns to a wonderful steamed pud that with a bit of evaporated milk can do us at least two days.

You also discounted the cost of going out, but if you eat out that cost is ignored so could mean you only eat, say breakfast, at home meaning £30 is easily achievable. Not a good benchmark of the real costs that someone on benefits has to meet.

They do not have to meet. Living on benefits should amount to no more than subsistence living. If they want more then go and get a job and if you can't find a job where you live then move to where you can. Otherwise live within the means that you are provided with that someone else is paying for. We see enough foreigners coming over here and managing very well so there us work to be had, it just means people putting themselves out to do it.

That menu looks OK really, Spook. Nutritious if not exciting although I haven't checked your costings. I had to smile at the thought of getting the occasional crab. I could certainly do without that. Hate it with a passion.

Did the microwave and slow cooker come out of your £30 budget?

I agree cheap cuts are far better (ox cheek is wonderful, but not so cheap now Heston has upgraded it). As a student my flatmate and I could make a whole chicken last for 3 or 4 days worth of meals, but I doubt your budget is really sustainable over a period of time, stuff like loo rolls, washing powder etc, can eat into your weekly budget easily.

They do not have to meet. Living on benefits should amount to no more than subsistence living. If they want more then go and get a job and if you can't find a job where you live then move to where you can. Otherwise live within the means that you are provided with that someone else is paying for. We see enough foreigners coming over here and managing very well so there us work to be had, it just means people putting themselves out to do it.

I was not arguing that benefits should include the cost of going out, but that if you ate out frequently your grocery shop would reduce and as you excluded that from your budget, it may not be a fair analogue

It was interesting to hear some of the interviews after the budget announcements. One young girl with a baby who lives on benefits opined that it wasn't fair because in future girls like her won't be able to get a property on the state like she has, and will be dependant on their family. To quote her "I need the benefit because I want to provide for my child myself". Some really don't get what providing for your family actually means. It doesn't mean living on the social and someone else providing.

That menu looks OK really, Spook. Nutritious if not exciting although I haven't checked your costings. I had to smile at the thought of getting the occasional crab. I could certainly do without that. Hate it with a passion.

Getting crabs - not good.

It was interesting to hear some of the interviews after the budget announcements. One young girl with a baby who lives on benefits opined that it wasn't fair because in future girls like her won't be able to get a property on the state like she has, and will be dependant on their family. To quote her "I need the benefit because I want to provide for my child myself". Some really don't get what providing for your family actually means. It doesn't mean living on the social and someone else providing.

Was she tweeting it and taking a selfie?

Did the microwave and slow cooker come out of your £30 budget?

I agree cheap cuts are far better (ox cheek is wonderful, but not so cheap now Heston has upgraded it). As a student my flatmate and I could make a whole chicken last for 3 or 4 days worth of meals, but I doubt your budget is really sustainable over a period of time, stuff like loo rolls, washing powder etc, can eat into your weekly budget easily.

No, the cooker and micro we bought and replace when needed but for people on benefits second hand things can be bought quite cheaply. Loo rolls and other consumables don't come to that much especially if bought from the market or Lidl / Aldi or poundstreatchers.

Granted we don't always buy from really low cost places but if we needed to we could, and so could others.

Archived