Mea Resignations

ans

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who should intervene?  Surely you're not suggesting that it's a job for the 'incorruptible' British government (LOL) or the equally transparent and well-regulated EU (ROFL)?  Corruption exists everywhere - it's the oil that keeps caitalism running smoothly!  If there's a country in the civilized world in which the inhabitants don't believe that their rulers are corrupt, please name it!

It is now past time that the Mainland government stepped in and sorted the mess out. The UK government with NuLabour in office may be pretty awful - well is pretty awful actually, but the Civil Service is as good a body as will be found anywhere and should get involved.

After all, The Crown has ultimate responsibility for the good government of the Island and if ever there was a need for the UK Government to step in it just has to be now.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" springs to mind for some reason.

It is totally unrealistic.

It's about the best if not the ONLY option there is to sort out the snake pit that the Manx government has become.

There are times when I am dismayed by the Manx government, when their incompetence is almost beyond belief. There are also times when their refusal to face the consequences of their actions and, instead, to try to hide the evidence of their errors is extremely depressing.

All in all, however, I would infinitely prefer to live under their jurisdiction than under that of the United Kingdom, whose major political parties - all of them - are peopled by the poseurs and self-satisfied, self-promoting and ineffectual members of a rapidly decaying society.

Their civil service - far from being 'as good a body as will be found anywhere' are, if anything, mirror images of their incompetent political masters.

Whatever our opinions of the government, and the system, on the Isle of Man, the vast majority of it's population are living here because they choose to do so - rather than in the festering sewer that the United Kingdom has become under the succession of inadequate and bungling governments of the last fifty years or so.

Personally, I regard England as nothing more than a slum that I may have to travel through on the way to my preferred holiday destination and the thought of living under a UK government rather than a Manx one fills me with utter revulsion!

There are times when I am dismayed by the Manx government, when their incompetence is almost beyond belief.  There are also times when their refusal to face the consequences of their actions and, instead, to try to hide the evidence of their errors is extremely depressing.

All in all, however, I would infinitely prefer to live under their jurisdiction than under that of the United Kingdom, whose major political parties - all of them - are peopled by the poseurs and self-satisfied, self-promoting and ineffectual members of a rapidly decaying society.

Their civil service - far from being 'as good a body as will be found anywhere' are, if anything, mirror images of their incompetent political masters.

Whatever our opinions of the government, and the system, on the Isle of Man, the vast majority of it's population are living here because they choose to do so - rather than in the festering sewer that the United Kingdom has become under the succession of inadequate and bungling governments of the last fifty years or so.

Personally, I regard England as nothing more than a slum that I may have to travel through on the way to my preferred holiday destination and the thought of living under a UK government rather than a Manx one fills me with utter revulsion!

We all can only call it as we see it.

When I retired we decided to move from Agay on the Cote d’Azure where we had been living, mostly because I was spending so much time away from home and wanted Clair to at least live in a nice place as anything, we did consider returning to the Isle of Man but rejected the idea very early on for a variety of reasons. Not least the isolation as well as the small town mentality and the ‘boat in the morning’ answer to any criticism no matter how well intended or how positive.

Where we presently live, about 6 miles East of Norwich certainly could not be described as being a slum nor a slum district. Norwich itself is indeed a fine city as are many of the UK cities, though there are some other God Awful towns and cities as well. There are even more than a few council estates with a larger population than the Isle of man, something that a few people would do well to remember..

Living under the present Mainland government though not to my taste with it being NuLabour but it at least party politics offers a number of advantages not least that the misdeeds of any individuals who are elected representatives can and does soon attract the attention of the party ‘mandarins’.

If Corkhill had been a member of a political party then the probability is that he would have been given the choice of stepping down whilst investigations took place or having the party whip withdrawn, something that would have resulted in his being expelled from office, and the likes of the incompetent Downie would have been seen through years ago.

Now I can’t stand Bleah and I think that the economic strategies of Brown are comparable to those of an Irish tinker who has found a valid Amex card – living on other peoples credit – but even there so there is greater visibility and transparency than is present in the Keys.

Furthermore to imagine that there are no party politicos in Manx politics is to deny the obvious. What exists in Manx politics is in effect a single party that holds power with a small number of independents, most of whom are trying to be admitted into the party in order to gain the many advantages it offers.

It breaks my heart to have watched the IOM prosper financially and yet to have lost so very much morally over the years.

A bit like watching a prostitute grow rich yet old and ugly at the same time.

No matter. I shall never return to The Island unless there is a marked Cleansing of the Hives of politics over there. Until we make what will in all probability be our last major move in around 5 years from now and relocate to the house we have just bought on Tenerife the UK will certainly do for me with all of its faults..

There may be more pollution and slums but somehow the air seems cleaner.

We all can only call it as we see it.

When I retired we decided to move from Agay on the Cote d’Azure where we had been living, mostly because I was spending so much time away from home and wanted Clair to at least live in a nice place as anything,  we did consider returning to the Isle of Man but rejected the idea very early on for a variety of reasons. Not least the isolation as well as the small town mentality and the ‘boat in the morning’ answer to any criticism no matter how well intended or how positive.

Where we presently live, about 6 miles East of Norwich certainly could not be described as being a slum nor a slum district.  Norwich itself is indeed a fine city as are many of the UK cities, though there are some other God Awful towns and cities  as well.  There are even more than a few council estates with a larger population than the Isle of man, something that a few people would do well to remember..

No matter.  I shall never return to The Island unless there is a marked Cleansing of the Hives of politics over there.  Until we make what will in all probability be our last major move in around 5 years from now and relocate to the house we have just bought on Tenerife the UK will certainly do for me with all of its faults..

I've just allowed my father-in-law to read this thread, the reason being that he was born and raised near Norwich, had a career as a civil servant and now spends most of his time in a property in Tenerife.

I would like to be able to quote his opinion of your post but the filters on the forum would make that virtually impossible!

Suffice it to say that, if circumstances permitted, his first choice of abode would be the Isle of Man and that, if you think our politics are less than perfect - just wait until you get to Tenerife!

As for UK politicos being punished etc., Mandelson's 'punishment' is only the most recent of a very long line of such cases and there are, amongst the legion of examples, no more than a handful who could really be said to have suffered as a result of being found out!

As for "somehow the air seems cleaner," that's only because the UK has placed the dirty and extremely dangerous Sellafield plant right on our bloody doorstep!

I won't be going back either and for the same reasons as Rog besides other reasons of my own. Interestingly this is a common theme among those that have left, they rarely if ever return. Before Slim starts up with his usual tirade it is not that the grass is particularly greener but rather there is an awful lot more of it.

For me the bottom line is that the IOM is clearly not capable of good governance so something has to change. If the Manx can't or won't change it then some other agency will have to do it for them. It really is that simple.

Some of the 'leading lights' on this Island are certainly incompetent. Some, even, corrupt.

But they're ours. They are our problem. It's up to us to sort it. Just one little [x] can make a big difference.

I'll stand at the pier or airport and fight off any attempt by the UK to interfere.

I have less faith in Tony 'The Puppet' Blair and his lot, than I do with our lot.

I wouldn't mind betting that all our 'scandals' put together are still a smaller percentage of GDP than what the UK are paying for Iraq .

I don't think things are worse on the Island than elsewehere, just a lot more obvious.

I'll stand at the pier or airport and fight off any attempt by the UK to interfere.

Going to fight me on the beaches, eh Bill? :)

I wouldn't mind betting that all our 'scandals' put together are still a smaller percentage of GDP than what the UK are paying for Iraq .

It's very hard to work out the cost of the war because you have to finance a standing army irrespective of it's location. So you end up with all sorts of numbers being bandied about, £1 billion here, £5 billion there and so forth. Probably no-one actually knows but it doesn't matter because the UK can afford it. And that's the point. The IOM simply can't afford the current lot and their financial mis-management any longer.

Interestingly this is a common theme among those that have left, they rarely if ever return.

That's strange as I have always found the complete opposite to be true - loads of people come back with a far greater appreciation of the place.

Archived