Mea Resignations

ans

I'm not sure of figures, but what was the cost of the undersea cable in relation to the Gas power station? Would it not have made better sense to have 2 different cables off island for redundancy and simply buy the power from the national grid, thinking in terms of economies of scale.

It does seem stupid to ship the fossil fuel over here and then just burn it eh?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure of figures, but what was the cost of the undersea cable in relation to the Gas power station? Would it not have made better sense to have 2 different cables off island for redundancy and simply buy the power from the national grid, thinking in terms of economies of scale.

It does seem stupid to ship the fossil fuel over here and then just burn it eh?

I'm guessing the cable may have cost slightly more than the power station, however its like you said, the ongoing costs of shipping fossil fuels, transporting them and managing them. Consumer prices are also highly sensitive to fluctuations in the prices of fossil fuels, being on the national grid would 'slightly' dampen the price hit, again due to economies of scale and alternative power sources (nuclear for example).

It just seems very mad. I remember the argument for is they didn't want sole dependance on someone else for power, surely two seperate cables would have solved this.

In some respects though, it could make the island quite vulnerable if both cables were cut.

What sort of power stations do other island jurisdictions have?

Well it looks like they're going to expect us to pay - AGAIN! I think everyone that get's an electricity bill in the future should work out what they will pay using the tariff that was charged before all this came too light - i.e. not pay the new tariff, then pay this and include a letter saying that they don't see why they should pay the increased balance due to the incompetence/sharp practice of the MEA board. They may cut you off but so what. Can you imagine the publicity! If everyone sticks together on this they can't send us all to prison. You will have paid a portion of the bill and only not paid the increase which, if the loans were not legal (allegedly), the increase surely can't be legal? (await clarification from our forum legal eagles on this). If we all stick together I'm sure they'd have to find another way to pull themselves out of the clag! Mind you this will probably be by using the Pension Fund, or is there none of that left after paying for the hospital. :angry:

Does anyone know where I can buy a generator!!! :(

Just another thought - does anyone know if the resigning board receive any payouts (golden parachutes etc) or pensions?

Yes

Mr Gelling has just said in Tynwald that Mr Proffit is still retained by the MEA and is paid to attend meetings, this will be the same for the board

FFS - this island is becoming a total joke.

(Well that's how I feel reading this lot anyway)

Totally agree. You can hold a very notable position, act like a complete, incompetant cock, and still be rewarded for it.. It's laughable, but quite sad when you consider how 'better' things could have been done.

Personally, I don't buy the fact that the government weren't fully aware of it. It's the Isle of Man, people speak, gossip etc - and I don't believe for one minute that not one person outside of the MEA board were aware of loans from Barclays. The fact the cable "exists" is proof that money must have came from somewhere, unless they got it free with cornflakes.

Just another thought - does anyone know if the resigning board receive any payouts (golden parachutes etc) or pensions?

Yes

Mr Gelling has just said in Tynwald that Mr Proffit is still retained by the MEA and is paid to attend meetings, this will be the same for the board

Thanks FCMR - heard that myself. Understand they get paid whilst working as board members. What I want to know is AFTER they've resigned will they receive a lump sum payment, as Mr P did, and are they entitled to any pension facility?

Also, why did they need Mr "Profit" to consult when they had a CEO and Finance Officer? Take about top heavy in management.

Just hear Tinker say that the cable might be bought by the Government as part of the rescue package - bought with what! beans!

Tinker now blaming Peter Karran for scare-muggering!!!! What a joke! Tinker's department working all hours to maintain electricity to the Island at the best cost!! If some members of COMIN had not been so impressed with the idea of having a plague with their name on at some big, new shiney building/s then perhaps we wouldn't be in the position we're in.

Every answer to every question to Tinker seems to be - don't know, don't have the figures! Tinker - "Not my fault Guv", answers to questions on MEA, Mount Murray!

Check out the amount the MEA is spending on advertising per year - nearly 100K! Tinker is being a real apologist for the MEA.

I'm listening to Treasury Minister Mr Bell's remarks in Tynwald today and I'm astounded.

What on earth is a Treasury Minister for? Is he the government's guardian of matters financial, and if so doesn't he need to take some measure of responsibility for this chaos?

Maybe it would be better if we did away with a Treasury Minister and let the officers of the Treasury run their department?

[

Just hear Tinker say that the cable might be bought by the Government as part of the rescue package - bought with what! beans!

Did they say who they are going to buy it off, as I dont think it will be for sale ;);)

No - but "now we've got a new board of the MEA it's not really the concern of my department" quote Tinks - again "nothing to do with me Guv"!!!!! Ho Hum. <_<

That is laughable really.. whichever way you look at it we'll pay through the nose for it with taxes and through huge price hikes.

Archived