Nazi salute - Palace fury as pictures emerge after 80 years

Buckingham Palace has reacted with fury after footage of the Queen performing a Nazi salute as a young girl was released by The Sun last night.
The shocking film from 1933 shows Edward VIII teaching his nieces the seven-year-old future Queen and her three-year-old sister Princess Margaret how to do the salute in the gardens at Balmoral.
The publication of the 17-second film has outraged many across the nation who believe that the Queen cannot be held responsible for her actions as a girl playing with her family.
Buckingham Palace last night slammed The Sun for the publication of the footage, obtained from the family's private archive, saying it is 'disappointing' that the film has been 'obtained and exploited in this manner'.
A palace spokesman said: 'It is disappointing that film, shot eight decades ago and apparently from her Majesty's personal family archive, has been obtained and exploited in this manner.'

Edward VIII's sympathies were well known. I'm more interested in who was behind the released of the pictures and what their motive is. There are people out there who want to trample on anything traditional as part of their left-wing political agenda, more than happy to exploit people's ignorance and emotionalism with an out of context non-news item like this.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buckingham Palace has reacted with fury after footage of the Queen performing a Nazi salute as a young girl was released by The Sun last night.
The shocking film from 1933 shows Edward VIII teaching his nieces the seven-year-old future Queen and her three-year-old sister Princess Margaret how to do the salute in the gardens at Balmoral.
The publication of the 17-second film has outraged many across the nation who believe that the Queen cannot be held responsible for her actions as a girl playing with her family.
Buckingham Palace last night slammed The Sun for the publication of the footage, obtained from the family's private archive, saying it is 'disappointing' that the film has been 'obtained and exploited in this manner'.
A palace spokesman said: 'It is disappointing that film, shot eight decades ago and apparently from her Majesty's personal family archive, has been obtained and exploited in this manner.'

Edward VIII's sympathies were well known. I'm more interested in who was behind the released of the pictures and what their motive is. There are people out there who want to trample on anything traditional as part of their left-wing political agenda, more than happy to exploit people's ignorance and emotionalism with an out of context non-news item like this.

A very good point and one that I fully endorse.

Smacks of someone just trying to make a few sleazy quid. Who gives a fcuk what the Queen did as a child all of those years ago. She probably said the eeny meeny miny mo rhyme, played cowboys and Indians. She is part German anyway.

She's also a direct descendant of William the Conqueror 1066. She is as English as anyone can be.

So the UK was uninhabited before 'William The Bastard'?

There's more German blood in her veins than a Thüringer Rotwurst.

Why? To sell newspapers. It was the Sun that carried the picture, hardly a vehicle for left or progressive views, so I don't personally think it was part of any larger agenda. As has been said, Edward VIII's sympathies have been known for ages, there really isn't a genuine item of news.

Princess Elizabeth was six, for goodness sake, and a six year old child has no political awareness. It's utterly irrelevant in the context of HM's lifetime of service to the UK.

The left wing sun? That's some starting position

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165923/Pictured-Queen-taught-NAZI-SALUTE-Edward-VIII-secret-1933-film-Balmoral.html

A very good point and one that I fully endorse.

If I've understood the story correctly the photo/footage pretty much dates from the time that Hitler came to power in Germany. Seems fairly obvious to me that at that time it would have been assumed that the Royal Family would meet the leader of a significant foreign country. I assume protocol dictates (no pun intended) that they would greet other leaders in the correct manner for that particular country, in this case a Nazi salute. I bet they practiced other greetings as well, like bowing to the Japanese. If the footage dated from 1939 onwards I would be a bit more concerned but it doesn't.

Archived