• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the latest image of earth, what 3 letter word is upside down in the circle? (Disney have a habit of doing this, perhaps the same art team as NASA?)

I must need new glasses - I can't see any words in the oval, upside down or otherwise!

Look at the latest image of earth, what 3 letter word is upside down in the circle? (Disney have a habit of doing this, perhaps the same art team as NASA?)

I must need new glasses - I can't see any words in the oval, upside down or otherwise!

Once you see it, go to the original in the article Mojo linked to, it will stand out like a sore thumb every time. Its a subliminal, created especially for your subconscious..

Once you know their game you see it everywhere, you also become immune to its effect on your mind, they tend to place their runes and symbols mainly in logos and TV "programming".

This is them laughing at us, their way of telling you what contempt they have for us....

SETI are scanning these planets, and other observatories are having equipment developed that detect much weaker radio emissions and optical signals.

The next big question might be: if we hear/see something...do we broadcast our location?

I'd say no initially. Everything on this planet eats something else. A species millions or even billions of years ahead of us might very well look at us as like we look at ants...or maybe steak.

@Albert Given the development of comms technology here, I suspect there is only a very narrow window of opportunity to detect broadcasts from technological civilisations. Streamed music feeds and fibreoptic telephone lines don't really create a detectable signal, and IIRC sufficiently advanced encryption can be indistinguishable from random noise.

I suspect it will be a gradual process of improved observation, enabling a targeted search of candidate worlds, e.g. better telscopes able to detect more planets in the goldilocks zone, then improvements to enable spectroscopy of those planets' atmospheres and then analysis to find chemical markers of life. Detection of "incorrect" ratios of radioactive isotopes with short half-lives, if such a thing is possibleover interstellar distances, might be a very good marker of either a technological civilisation or, sadly, an ex-technological civilisation.

Radio transmissions that would pass through the reflective layers of our atmosphere with a bit of wumph behind them only really started in the late 30's and more so once magnetron radar took off in the 40's so on that basis we've been 'visible' to any 'ET's within about 70 light years from us and only those within 35 light that 'returned the honour' that we might receive.

Thing is ----- if they first detected a cartoon of say Bugs Bunny or Roadrunner and thought it was real would they want to visit us!

Or even worse if The Keys were ever to be transmitted on TV. Then the buggers would NEVER come!

Randall Munroe's estimation is TV signals detectable out to "a couple of light years". Detectable is a lot different to decodable, though. Given TV/radio is an omnidirectional broadcast, the signal strength after a couple of light years will be incredibly weak; detectable means adding up the signal over a long observation time to see if there's something funny going on - and even if you got a continuous coherent signal over a period you'd still have to figure out how to put the wibbly bits back in to words or pictures.

Military radars of the 60s and 70s, from a source (pdf) quoted in the What If article, is potentially detectable out to 23 parsecs (assuming a level of radio astronomy technology similar to, or slightly advanced of, our own), or about 75 light years - again that just gives an indication of a non-natural signal, not any actual information content.

Don't see what all the fuss is about space.

Yee ha, a new world spotted using advanced technology costing billions of dollars and we can't even do package holidays to the moon yet.

Just close space exploration down for starters, get rid of the suits and start reducing the massive $200 trillion of debt.

Waste of bloody time and money

Don't see what all the fuss is about space.

Yee ha, a new world spotted using advanced technology costing billions of dollars and we can't even do package holidays to the moon yet.

Just close space exploration down for starters, get rid of the suits and start reducing the massive $200 trillion of debt.

Waste of bloody time and money

manxie44 does this sort of thing so much better...

Hmmm.....the (dwarf) planet is called Pluto, and the probe is powered by PLUTOnium.

COINCIDENCE?

No, I don't think it is. Uranium is the highest numbered naturally occurring element with 92 protons in its nucleus. I don't know if it's named after the planet, but when elements 93 and 94 were synthesized they were named Neptunium and Plutonium respectively, presumably following the sequence of planets in the solar system.

Archived