Putin's Russia and the New Cold War

Chinahand

The image portrayed of Putin's Russia - corrupt, nationalistic, violent, and desirous of reuniting its diaspora - is quite a scary prospect.

Then there are its actions - seizing the Crimea, arming and fermenting civil war in the Ukraine, and the increasingly bellicose return to Cold War patrolling - you really don't want 30 year old bombers flying straight through some of the busiest air routes in the world with all their transponders switched off.

A further issue is its increased intimidation of the Baltic States and how this is spilling over into Sweden. Last October there was a major search of the bays and inlets around Stockholm after reports of a submarine.

Now divers have discovered the wreck of a Russian Sub in 100m of water off the Eastern Swedish coast.

There's the distinct possibility it is a mass grave with the Russians sacrificing its sailors rather than own up to its covert belligerence.

Expect the sub to be raised in the full glare of the press, with lots of questions asked of Russia.

The Great Game and the Cold War have never ended, just transmuted and shifted as geo-politics and international powers ebb and flow.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The image portrayed of Putin's Russia - corrupt, nationalistic, violent, and desirous of reuniting its diaspora - is quite a scary prospect.

Then there are its actions - seizing the Crimea, arming and fermenting civil war in the Ukraine, and the increasingly bellicose return to Cold War patrolling - you really don't want 30 year old bombers flying straight through some of the busiest air routes in the world with all their transponders switched off.

A further issue is its increased intimidation of the Baltic States and how this is spilling over into Sweden. Last October there was a major search of the bays and inlets around Stockholm after reports of a submarine.

Now divers have discovered the wreck of a Russian Sub in 100m of water off the Eastern Swedish coast.

There's the distinct possibility it is a mass grave with the Russians sacrificing its sailors rather than own up to its covert belligerence.

Expect the sub to be raised in the full glare of the press, with lots of questions asked of Russia.

The Great Game and the Cold War have never ended, just transmuted and shifted as geo-politics and international powers ebb and flow.

Quite a blinkered view of what is a complex issue wouldn't you say? Exactly the same could be said for NATO who I am sure are up to the same tricks.

There is a suggestion that the wreck might date from pre-revolutionary times, based on the spelling of some words seen on the hull. Watch with interest seems to be only sensible response at the moment.

It could be a dangerous situation in the future. For now, I think Putin is feeling his way, but he is smart and more cautious than he is generally given credit for. He will respond better to strength than weakness. Unfortunately, EU leaders are weakness personified.

It could be a dangerous situation in the future. For now, I think Putin is feeling his way, but he is smart and more cautious than he is generally given credit for. He will respond better to strength than weakness. Unfortunately, EU leaders are weakness personified.

That's just what the world needs, another Cold War, with military spending to blank cheque levels of crazy.

That's just what the world needs, another Cold War, with military spending to blank cheque levels of crazy.

As I work in SIGINT all I can say is 'bring on on' smile.png

Only thing in its favour is that it's better than a hot war.

So long as it doesn't threaten or skirmish anywhere near Cornwall eh? thumbsup.gif

There is a suggestion that the wreck might date from pre-revolutionary times, based on the spelling of some words seen on the hull. Watch with interest seems to be only sensible response at the moment.

I don't think this sub has been underwater for very long:

2AE3BD4000000578-0-image-a-19_1438058079

Here's the one spotted near Stockholm:

2AE748E000000578-3176890-image-a-53_1438

Check out Daily Mail story

Erm ... Youtube too:

I don't think this sub has been underwater for very long:

2AE3BD4000000578-0-image-a-19_1438058079

Here's the one spotted near Stockholm:

2AE748E000000578-3176890-image-a-53_1438

Check out Daily Mail story

Erm ... Youtube too:

Aaaah, if you would have quoted the Daily Mail as one of your sources of information I would have bowed to superior knowledge and not questioned.

1. Your self interest might seem short sighted when you apply hindsight post-apocalyptically.

2. If you do work in SIGINT you probably shouldn't be boasting about it in an internet forum.

1. Your self interest might seem short sighted when you apply hindsight post-apocalyptically.

2. If you do work in SIGINT you probably shouldn't be boasting about it in an internet forum.

1: I'll be dead so don't care (maybe get job running IOM in that case)

2: SIGINT firms advertise heavily in the press and at open trade fairs :)

And as long as it's purely intercept rather than direction finding you may survive longer than 10 mins if it all kicks off

And as long as it's purely intercept rather than direction finding you may survive longer than 10 mins if it all kicks off

It's everything sweety :)

Archived