Putin's Russia and the New Cold War

Chinahand

Chinahand, I agree. A lot of the metalwork seems very sharp and corrosion free, but at one point in the video rusty steel plates are shown. The suggestion about anachronistic Russian spelling is in Swedish, a language I can't speak, but if true, that might be an indicator.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be a dangerous situation in the future. For now, I think Putin is feeling his way, but he is smart and more cautious than he is generally given credit for. He will respond better to strength than weakness. Unfortunately, EU leaders are weakness personified.

That's just what the world needs, another Cold War, with military spending to blank cheque levels of crazy.

As I work in SIGINT all I can say is 'bring on on' smile.png

And as long as it's purely intercept rather than direction finding you may survive longer than 10 mins if it all kicks off

It's everything sweety :)

Oh dear, deary

Thank fuck you in cornwall

He'll see the subs coming down the Irish Sea with his SIGINT setup in his bedroom....next to his picture of the Isle of Man that he cries himself to sleep looking at every night.

Do they still have that area mined (Cornwall, not Sweden) they found 3 U-Boats there didn't they?

Have the Russians put any significant investment into any military tech recently? I recall a news story a while back about them overflying the Scottish coast in what looked like the old Bear planes that were god knows how old back in the 1980's when they last used to do all that kind of thing.

The west seem to have kept up with technical advancements in most areas (albeit on a smaller scale than the past, the RN seems to have taken a pretty big hit in vessel numbers but are at least replacing with world leading technology).

What have the ruskies got (I'm not really up to speed with it all these days).

They've got some new fighters (Su-34) and new tanks (T-14 Armata). The Su-34 is a very good aircraft, and the T-14 is a new tank, so untested in battle. Realistically though they're still using older stuff. They have a maintenance problem with their older stuff, and have lost 5 aircraft this month in crashes already that I've noticed, so it's probably more.

Navy wise, they have a lot - you'd need all of Europe pulling together to fight against the Russian Navy. Wouldn't stand a chance against the Americans though.

Their T-95 Bear (The bombers you often see buzzing the coasts in the papers) are having a crap time of it too, with the fleet grounded again after numerous mishaps http://www.janes.com/article/52962/russian-bear-bombers-set-to-be-grounded-again-following-far-east-crash

And their currency is suffering drastically against the low oil price and the Euro and Dollar (1 GBP = 93 Russian Rubels, up from 50 rubels to the 1 GBP 2 years ago.)

Realistically they could cause a hell of a lot of damage but the border states are the ones who would suffer most before Europe kicked it's ass into gear.

Do they still have that area mined (Cornwall, not Sweden) they found 3 U-Boats there didn't they?

Have the Russians put any significant investment into any military tech recently? I recall a news story a while back about them overflying the Scottish coast in what looked like the old Bear planes that were god knows how old back in the 1980's when they last used to do all that kind of thing.

The west seem to have kept up with technical advancements in most areas (albeit on a smaller scale than the past, the RN seems to have taken a pretty big hit in vessel numbers but are at least replacing with world leading technology).

What have the ruskies got (I'm not really up to speed with it all these days).

Don't get hung up on the age of the kit. The Tu-95 'Bear' entered service in 1956. The Boeing B-52 'Stratofortress' entered service in 1955. All the Tu-95s in service were built in the '80s and '90s. The USAF intends to keep the B-52 in service until 2045, when the type will have been in service 90 years!

On the SIGINT side alone they have at least 6 divisions compared to the UK 's one regiment( plus a couple of amateur walter mitty type pedantic chancers)

The Russian military communications are not bad, their SIGINT is excellent.

Archived