Survivor of Summerland inferno calls for memorial

Langweilig

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole of the former Summer land site should be turned into a memorial and a memorial park would be one option.

But not ONLY A memorial for the people killed there, but also a memorialise the dreadful decisions that were taken in the design of the place.

I didn't know the full details of Ruth's experience at Summerland. Only that she was there as a child and had been injured. Wow, that must have been awful and I can see how she would never be able to really get over that. Truly horrible to have had to go through that. I think the sunflower sculpture sounds like a good idea. Nothing should ever be built again on that site other than gardens or a memorial. The place has a negative vibe about it and really needs to be treated in a positive and respectful way so that eventually peace might return to it. As it is now, you could build the nicest and most luxurious apartments in the world there and you couldn't pay me to live in one of them.

What you want? A giant oroglas skull with glowing eyes, staring across the bay?

So your loved one died in an accident? People die in accidents all the time. I understand that some people want public recognition of their loss, and that this was a traumatic event for many people but I don't think we need to permanently mar the promenade with another monument to mass death (we already have the war memorial).

There is a already a discreet and respectful monument in a garden not far from the site. Go and visit that.

'[Ruth's] idea is for a sunflower sculpture with 50 petals - one for each life lost.'

Nothing about a giant skull with glowing eyes in the newspaper article. No mention of the size of the sculpture but I don't think Ruth is talking about anything that could be seen from space. What I would like to see is a garden first and foremost, with a subtle memorial on the site. Nothing too big, but nothing so small that it's hidden away like the current so-called memorial. I think the sunflower idea is a very good one. There is no need for this to look grim. It could look really nice if we got our thinking hats on and properly planned it with a decent artist or architect at the helm.

There IS a memorial. It is not tucked away, but is in a place suited to quiet reflection.

What has a sunflower got to do with it anyway?

Sometimes, you have to allow things to slip in to history. The event is memorialised. Those that remember will continue to do so. Some are raising money for Alder Hey children's burns unit - that is a fitting and worthwhile memorial, not continual calls for some kind of public art that serves no purpose beyond what we already have.

You do have a point, Gladys. But, to be honest, my concern is not so much the memorial, but a wish to make the place and the Promenade in general look good. The Promenade already has scores of apartment buildings, many of them now dilapidated and unused. Douglas has countless empty offices, again many of them falling into a sorry state due to disuse. Why do we need to always fill a space with apartments, offices or car parks? Why can't we just step back from building things and return this small area of land to nature. Gardens would look better than more buildings. Why don't we do up all the dilapidated buildings before we make new ones to fall apart?

Archived