Survivor of Summerland inferno calls for memorial

Langweilig

Spot the obvious sock puppet again. (Tory etc)

Which one? The Grapes of Wrath seems to have stolen one of TJs old scripts about always finding Summerland creepy and never liking being in there as a kid (negative energy) etc, etc. If I can be arsed I'll track it down through the search facility.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grapes of Wrath, heh

Yes, I could be arsed and a good post by TJ is here:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55800-summerland-site-for-commemorative-garden-yea-or-nay/?p=851509

Same talk about negative energy etc, etc. In fact if you overlay TJs posts in that 2013 thread with the Grapes of Wrath in this thread they are pretty close in style and content.

Less the Grapes of Wrath and more the Haemorrhoids of TJ.

If you're quite done. This evening will be the anniversary of the Summerland fire so there are a lot of emotions right now for survivors and the families of people who died. I like the sunflowers that have been placed at the current memorial site. The whole thing is tragic and I wish survivors like Ruth the best of luck with finding peace.

If you're quite done. This evening will be the anniversary of the Summerland fire so there are a lot of emotions right now for survivors and the families of people who died. I like the sunflowers that have been placed at the current memorial site. The whole thing is tragic and I wish survivors like Ruth the best of luck with finding peace.

I went down to the memorial gardens at the bottom of Summerhill and paid my respects yesterday. Please don't try to say that pointing out the obvious regarding your bollocks posts is somehow disrespectful. You don't know how anyone on here might be directly affected by the events of that night. I for one knew several people in the building that night and stood and watched powerless as it went up. You are simply a clown.

As someone who was there on that horrible evening, what are your thoughts on the sunflower memorial mentioned in the newspaper article? What do you think should happen to the site?

There is a memorial and anyone can go there at any time to pay their respects. It's easy to find. Just because the building has now been knocked down (which was a commercial decision by IOMG - not out of respect for the dead or to achieve any other purpose other than to save the taxpayer the cost of repairing it) why should this now be an issue? The bodies were stacked up above Bar George which was, I think, a civil defence building at the time, and it hasn't stopped people drinking there for the last 20 years. If anywhere surely a sunflower memorial should go there? There's a nice churchyard across the road.

They should just sell the Summerland site to the highest bidder and let them build luxury apartments on it. As soon as possible. And spend the money on something useful for kids. Even if its just new swings in all parks around the island.

As someone who was there on that day horrible evening, what are your thoughts on the sunflower memorial mentioned in the newspaper article? What do you think should happen to the site?

There is a memorial and anyone can go there at any time to pay their respects. It's easy to find. Just because the building has now been knocked down (which was a commercial decision by IOMG - not out of respect for the dead or to achieve any other purpose other than to save the taxpayer the cost of repairing it) why should this now be an issue? The bodies were stacked up above Bar George which was, I think, a civil defence building at the time, and it hasn't stopped people drinking there for the last 20 years. If anywhere surely a sunflower memorial should go there? There's a nice churchyard across the road.

The building you referred to as above Bar George, was the church hall for St George's across the road. I used to go there for Sunday school.

As someone who was there on that day horrible evening, what are your thoughts on the sunflower memorial mentioned in the newspaper article? What do you think should happen to the site?

The building you referred to as above Bar George, was the church hall for St George's across the road. I used to go there for Sunday school.

It was the temporary morgue at the time though wasn't it? I thought it was civil defence owned or used at the time.

Oldmanxfella I don't understand your reply. Is anything I said wrong? That site and the word luxury do not go together. The place stinks, the waves go all the way to the other side of the road, sometimes traffic gets stopped going that way because it's dangerous during stormy weather. You'd have better look selling luxury apartments at the tower of refuge.

Oldmanxfella I don't understand your reply. Is anything I said wrong? That site and the word luxury do not go together. The place stinks, the waves go all the way to the other side of the road, sometimes traffic gets stopped going that way because it's dangerous during stormy weather. You'd have better look selling luxury apartments at the tower of refuge.

Go away you sad attention seeking nutter. You're not fooling anyone.

@oldfella, I do believe that it was used as a temporary morgue for the disaster. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Civil Defence were involved in the location, as my dad was a trainer for the Civil Defence back in the 70's and 80's.

Archived