Eire - Mumps Outbreak as 2,000 cases are reported

Andy Onchan

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mumps-outbreak-as-2000-cases-reported-346524.html

As this virus is highly infectious I do hope that our own DHSC are monitoring this on the Island. The worrying thing about this is that the virus shows no respect for any age group:

Research has shown there were 1,993 reported cases of mumps notified to the health authorities in the past 12-month period with outbreaks reported across most regions and all age groups. Males accounted for 56% of all cases.

The median age of those infected was 20 years, although the youngest sufferer was two-months-old while the eldest was aged 89 years.

Two-thirds of those infected with mumps were aged 15 to 24. Among those cases for whom vaccination data was available in the 15 to 24 age group, a large majority of these reported having received two doses of the MMR vaccine.

The worrying thing about this is that the virus shows no respect for any age group

Err, isn't the more worrying thing that:

"a large majority of these reported having received two doses of the MMR vaccine." ?

Actually received two doses of MMR vaccine or saying they have to avoid looking like a feckin moron for being anti-vaccine?

The worrying thing about this is that the virus shows no respect for any age group

Err, isn't the more worrying thing that:

"a large majority of these reported having received two doses of the MMR vaccine." ?

First dose is 12 months and second aged 12 (?), I think. But of course vaccines are no guarantee that you won't catch it, especially if the virus is prone to change/mutate(?). Worrying nevertheless.

I had the MMR jab a few years ago because I wanted to become autistic so I could write a great book like the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. No such luck.

I had the MMR jab a few years ago because I wanted to become autistic so I could write a great book like the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. No such luck.

I could be really bitchy and ask why did you want to have the MMR jab to be autistic? w00t.gif

I could be really bitchy and ask why did you want to have the MMR jab to be autistic? w00t.gif

Pssst, I think he's making funny.

I dunno, I thought your "Strange Occurrence of the Nocturnal Canine" book was a great read.

Where as mine, 'shut that flucking wonker dog up, I'm trying to get to bastard sleep arse wink' written from an autistic, tourette's suffering dyslexics point of view, failed to make it to print.

Archived