Premiership 2015/16

ans

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they played him up until his trial. he pleaded guilty to one of the charges. surely sunderland must have known this while still selecting him?

The club are claiming (no idea whether true or false) that they understood he was going to plead not guilty to all charges, hence why he was unsuspended from the team after discussions with the PFA. If true, I believe it is more grounds for suing the idiot.

He must have kept Sunderland's lawyers away from the evidence against him. Or they chose not to look.

Why would the football club's lawyers be privy to the case for the prosecution or the even the case for the defence. They can only concern themselves with civil law relating to his contract, they have no jurisdiction in respect of directly assessing criminal activities an employee may or may not have been involved in. Think about it, if you were charged with some criminal offence, would your companies' lawyers have access to the case that the CPS were putting together? In this case, the idiot was immediately suspended by the club as soon as he was charged by the police. He was unsuspended following discussions with the club and the PFA, I can only presume that he told the club and the PFA that he would be denying all charges (why else would the PFA have supported him up to that point?). It seems entirely feasible to me that he has strung the club and the PFA along only to change his plea at the last moment.

They wouldn't be privy to it - if he didn't want them to be. But you can bet your arse that when their £10m investments get themselves in the shit, with the obvious PR consequences for the club, they'll offer every legal "assistance" to help them out behind the scenes and get to bottom of it.

They wouldn't be privy to it - if he didn't want them to be. But you can bet your arse that when their £10m investments get themselves in the shit, with the obvious PR consequences for the club, they'll offer every legal "assistance" to help them out behind the scenes and get to bottom of it.

I said they would not be privy to the CPS's case, I still don't see how they would be either? What do you mean by legal "assistance"?

Of course there are investment and PR consequences to the club. I suggest that the PR ones are actually more important to the club, I can only see that Johnson told them that he was going to plead not guilty, hence the club and PFA standing by him on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. When he changed his plea that changed everything and lead to his contract termination. The club (like many others) has very strong links to the community and values it fans importantly (here is a recent example - http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2015-2016/sunderland-s-sensory-room-for-autistic-fans-lauded-as-absolutely-incredible_sto5105807/story.shtml), I just wish they could actually play decent football. Adam Johnson is a silly silly man but please don't judge a club based on the actions of stupid individual.

Defence lawyers get to see the evidence against their client before trial. His lawyers will have reviewed it and said to him "the evidence is strong on this charge and this charge, so we recommend you plead guilty because there is a 99% chance you will be found guilty, you've got a case on the others".

The club will have undoubtedly offered him legal assistance, ie their own lawyers to trawl through that evidence, primarily to assist themselves by seeing that evidence and let them know what shitstorm was heading their way.

This taken from the transcripts of the texts between Johnson and the girl, I know this is not a laughing matter but....

Johnson: Am I only getting a kiss?

Girl: It depends on what else you are after

Johnson: Dunno depends on what you are up for. A little bit more than kissing.

(After their encounter)

Johnson: Think we had better go in the back next time

Girl: Yeah yeah

Does anyone know what he pleaded guilty to exactly? My guess it is to a lesser offence that would carry a more severe sentence if he pleased innocent but was later found guilty in court.

Tut-tut! Haven't you got a search engine, then?

Sexual activity with a child.

Archived