Premiership 2015/16

ans

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He pleaded guilty to grooming and to kissing the girl. The charges he is denying are that he encounter went further than kissing.

Sexual activity with a child.

Quilp - I know where you are coming from but I suspect the law has a few different definitions carrying different sentencing guidelines. So yes whilst sexual activity with a child may cover it Declan has given the specific offences.

So essentially he has pleaded guilty to two "lesser" offences and not guilty to the more serious allegation.

Interesting that the club have sacked him (which I think is the right decision). However, the defence may now argue that he cannot receive a fair trial as the jury will be tainted by the action of his employers (plus the media coverage etc).

Sexual activity with a child.

... the jury will be tainted by the action of his employers (plus the media coverage etc).

Do you not think that by his admission of two offences of sexual activity with a child he has already 'tainted' (odd choice; perhaps influenced?) the jury?

I get what his game is; by admitting the 'lesser' (odd choice) offences he is trying to say something along the lines of, 'ok, I'm bad but not that bad'. This is nothing but a vain attempt at damage-limitation by a man already guilty, by his own admission, of sexual activity with a child.

It will be the bench's summing-up before retirement that will be the most influential aspect of his guilt on these 'more serious' charges.

If there is a 'victim statement', at what point is a judge privy to this? After the jury verdict? Before sentencing?

I am afraid criminal law is not my area of expertise. I do know, however, that the actions of an employer can impact upon the criminal proceedings. In fact I know of one case where an employee was suspended indefinitely on full pay pending the completion of a criminal investigation. The advice we were given was not to take any other action until the case was resolved. I left that employer before the criminal investigation was completed so I do not know how it ended or even if charges were ever pressed.

Back to the Premier League though... Arsenal seem to have done Tottenham a big favour over the weekend.

God I hate Arsenal, the whole country wants Leicester to win the League. And they have to go and spoil it, and in typical Arsenal fashion a dodgy refereeing performance, a bit of moaning and unpunished thuggery and a scabby winner was needed. I bet the FA will ban the Leicester player for months and then Vardy will be injured on England duty, just so their favoured team can scab yet another undeserved trophy.

God I hate Arsenal, the whole country wants Leicester to win the League. And they have to go and spoil it, and in typical Arsenal fashion a dodgy refereeing performance, a bit of moaning and unpunished thuggery and a scabby winner was needed. I bet the FA will ban the Leicester player for months and then Vardy will be injured on England duty, just so their favoured team can scab yet another undeserved trophy.

I agree with your comments about the dodgy referee performance. A clear foul on Ozil before their goal - Not given. Vardy winning a penalty by deciding to deviate towards Monreal's leg and going over. Mahrez unpunished for diving to win another dodgy penalty, Drinkwater should of been sent off for trying to break Ramseys leg. But never let the truth get in the way of a good fairytale story eh.

I agree with your comments about the dodgy referee performance. A clear foul on Ozil before their goal - Not given. Vardy winning a penalty by deciding to deviate towards Monreal's leg and going over. Mahrez unpunished for diving to win another dodgy penalty, Drinkwater should of been sent off for trying to break Ramseys leg. But never let the truth get in the way of a good fairytale story eh.

Now now................

I'd expect the usual bottling implosion from Arsenal. And you wonder just how much damage Neymar, Suarez and Messi are going to do. Scary prospect.

Archived