Premiership 2015/16

ans

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a blinkered dislike. I just believe that he is overrated. Yes winning the Champions League with Liverpool was a great achievement but as with much of his managerial career he has not been able to sustain that success.

Roberto Di Matteo won the champions league under highly improbable circumstances at Chelsea but no one is saying that he is world class.

I think it'll be as good as over and that Leicester probably won't need much more than a draw or one win from those 3 games.

Spurs have a much tougher run in. If they win it then it will take a monumental run from them and/or a sizeable collapse from leicester.

Given Leicester have been the best team this season and over the last 38 games there is no reason to believe they won't see it through.

It's amazing really.

It's not a blinkered dislike. I just believe that he is overrated. Yes winning the Champions League with Liverpool was a great achievement but as with much of his managerial career he has not been able to sustain that success.

Roberto Di Matteo won the champions league under highly improbable circumstances at Chelsea but no one is saying that he is world class.

Not many managers sustain success over multiple clubs. It's not easy.

He also won two La Liga's with Valencia.

And the fact he gets to manage the clubs be does should tell you he's a decent manager. He is definitely WAY above what Newcastle should be attracting IMO.

By the way, I don't like Benitez. It's just hard to say he's a crap manager when the facts (which he loves btw) reflect that he's done well!

I think it'll be as good as over and that Leicester probably won't need much more than a draw or one win from those 3 games.

Spurs have a much tougher run in. If they win it then it will take a monumental run from them and/or a sizeable collapse from leicester.

Given Leicester have been the best team this season and over the last 38 games there is no reason to believe they won't see it through.

It's amazing really.

I think it's great and I hope they do it. I didn't think they'd sustain it and they have been lucky in keeping a small squad fit, but good on 'em. Maybe it will make some other clubs think about the possibility of winning through effort, desire, team spirit and more modest investment. The opposite of Newcastle who have finally spent money bigstyle, but finished up with a bunch of expensive disinterested misfits.

when the facts (which he loves btw) reflect that he's done well!

And that is another reason why I do not rate him. When under pressure he implodes with rants about "facts". Not just the one about Manchester United but he also did it at Real Madrid (about the Club President no less!). It feels to me as if the big jobs carry to much pressure for him.

Valencia did not have that much pressure and to some extent neither did Liverpool until expectations started to rise after a series of cup wins.

With the exception of the two league titles with Valencia he has not won a league any where else which considering the teams he has managed is a fairly poor record (Liverpool, Real Madrid, Inter Milan).

Personally I think there is to much romanticism following him around from the unexpected success with Valencia and then the Champions League victory with Real Madrid.

If he was a British manager I don't feel he would have the same reputation.

You are grasping at straws here.

How did he have "a fairly poor" record at Real Madrid (who are an absolute circus btw)? He was sacked with them 2 points behind possible the greatest club side ever. Who have, despite Ronaldo's 350 plus goals in 6.5 years, dominated spanish football for the last 6 or 7 years.

And his record at Liverpool was decent. Liverpool have realisitically challenged for the title about 3 times in 25 years. He had them competing, they won (fluked!) the CL and a domestic cup. His record there was decent because they are and were not a top tier team.

I'm not saying he's a great manager but he is a decent one. And my original point is that his standing in the game is way above that of a relegation team. Newcastle have done well to get him in.

notwell - At present (and during Rafa's time at Real Madrid) there were only realistically three clubs challenging for the league (Barcelona, Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid) so I would say that being 2 points behind Barcelona was a fair result for that club. And yes I agree that they are an absolute shambles of a club but they Rafa was doing nothing exceptional in having them second in the league.

TSE - I disagree, I have seen the footage on youtube and yes the press made a meal of it but it is still my opinion that his outburst/rant was because he was struggling to cope with the pressure. Van Gaal did a similar thing when he reacted to Sam Allardyce's comments about United.

Sam Allardyce is a decent manager but he is never going to be given a top job because his style of play does not suit the top clubs. I don't think he is world class by the way but he has a pretty decent record of getting teams out of trouble and being a wheeler dealer type of manager for smaller clubs.

Archived