Premiership 2015/16

ans

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

none of the bottom three can physically win the league the following year.

I reckon the bookies will have made more from those betting on one of the "big" teams to win the league.

Declan said bottom 3 odds wise not bottom 3 in the premiership the previous season

I meant the bottom three in the list of odds at the start of the season. If they're 5000-1, or 1000-1 and you put a pound on each of them, then you only need it to happen once in your life for you to make a sizable profit.

In fact, if you'd done it for the last 100 years - Leicester would leave you £4700 up. You may also have made money on Ipswich in 1961, and Forest in 1977.

I was thinking about this, if you bet on the bottom three odds-wise every year at odds like 5000-1 or 1000-1. One team was likely to do it some point in your life, so when that happened you'd be quids in.

All hail the designer of the new public sector pension scheme. Nice one, Declan.

Sounds good in theory but takes no account of inflation over that timespan, £1 one hundred years ago would have been a significant amount to lose.

I could index link it to my wages.

The trouble is that I doubt we will see any 5000-1 odds against any team winning the EPL again anytime soon. Lesson learned for the bookies on that one.

Bookies do learn, unfortunately. A few years ago a small group went around betting smallish amounts in small independent betting shops on 'someone getting a hole-in-one' in the major golf tournaments. What they knew, and the bookies didn't, was that the real odds are about even money, and the bookies who were clueless were offering odds, presumably made up on the spot, of 100-1 etc. They never went to the same shop twice, and in pre-internet days it took a while before word got out and the bookies started quoting sensible odds.

That reminds me of a young lad who was working on a site i was on earlier this year. He proudly returned from his lunch break the day before the grand national and announced he'd put a pound on every horse. The poor fella got abuse all afternoon, calling him a thick shit etc. etc. from myself included. Things were a bit quieter when he waltzed in on Monday morning over £100 better off!

Sam's "route one" reputation is somewhat unfair. He has had teams play attractive football on the few occasions he has had the personnel and the league position to indulge the luxury.

He did a great job at West Ham. He might keep Sunderland up on limited resources.

Great job, Sam. Yet again he pulls off a great escape from a no-hope situation. Sunderland last night played attractive, determined football and got the result they deserved. It spoke volumes when, in the 92nd minute, cruising home at 3 - 0, Everton were allowed a free header from a corner. Allardyce on the touchline went ballistic. "Where's the cover??!!!!"

Imagine Van Gaal giving a toss enough to do that? Or even Man U playing such attractive, spirited football this season.

Just one thing puzzles me. Why is John O'Shea still drawing a wage in the premier league? Dear, oh dear.

Just one thing puzzles me. Why is John O'Shea still drawing a wage in the premier league? Dear, oh dear.

I could ask that same question to the whole of the Everton squad last night.....awful.

Rumours are that Martinez didn't take training this morning and that an announcement is imminent...knowing my luck it will be a 7 year contract extension!

Archived