Corbynmania

Rhumsaa

Indeedy. Women only carriages deal with only the disease, not the cause. It's like giving up...accepting gated communities.

The first of his many obvious mistakes that would set the Labour party back 30 years in UK politics.

Politics needs a credible and realistic opposition.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a quick scan of the article, and he makes a lot of sense. Its just a shame that "some" people have fallen into the trap of focusing on one facet of his proposals, and ignored the rest.

The TL:DR version for Woolley...read the fucking article you lazy git.

• 2 weeks later...

If he does win then I expect he'll have quite a honeymoon. The press has portrayed him as a total loonie. All he has to do is sound vaguely sensible and people will listen.

I bet you the Tories are going to be over-keen portraying him as a cross between Lenin, Trotsky and Citizen Smith and I bet they'll miss-fire if Corbyn manages to portray himself to be a sort of ordinary guy with policies for those working hard and isolated from economic prosperity.

As has happened so often recently politics is probably going to be a total mess. The Tories over-confident, but rebellious, Labour fractious and inward looking, with UKIP and the SNP milking this for all their worth.

Great.

Agree. I don't think there are too many people who would vote for him though. UK is a centre right country despite what the left wing might tell each other in their social media and focus groups. That's why the election was such a shock to them. Now they've gone even further to the left thinking that was the problem. Be interesting if he wins.

It's not so much that, it was that the centrist prevented no ideas. I didn't vote for anyone in the end because I didn't like the idea of abandoning the likes of Lativa etc to Putin.

But I'm not that bothered if he wins. At least we'll put a case for justice, freedom, liberty, fairness and caring in the face of the conservatism, fundimentalism and nationalism. Mealy mouthed cow-towing to these values won't win enough votes to win an election either. Better to be the voice of reason and offer an alternative so we're ready when the world comes to it's senses.

I think he'll be gone in two years, then the centre will regroup and a candidate will emerge that offers a genuinely centrist/liberal alternative to Tories.

Another Blair then? And that person will have to be very persuasive because people still feel duped by the last Blair. Britain hasn't had an even vaguely leftist government since 1976 when the IMF moved in to take control of the finances. The winter of discontent 78/79 put the top hat on it and memories are long. Blair knew that and that was why he rebranded as "New Labour".

Not another Blair. New Labour was an answer for a time, but that's gone. We need to recognise that and move on. I'm talking about offering a new centre-left alternative and making a case for that.

I think this leadership election has probably blown any hope for the next election, and no of the candidates would have changed that. Corbyn giving the bottle a good shake for a year or two and a redefinition of what the left's aims now are, then give a new guy two elections to set out the vision.

(I thought you believed the Liberal-Leftys had been in power since the 60's).

Well, I see what you mean. I guess right and left have subtly different meanings according to whether you are discussing the economy or social policy embracing law and order etc. We have seen right wing policies in deregulating the economy which has had mixed results. On social trends things have indeed been very liberal for at least 50 years and the Tories are just as responsible for that as anyone else. We also have a detached establishment that is too far removed from the lives of ordinary people who are just trying to do their best.

It is noticable that many of the people who are engaged by Corbyn are the younger half of the population who have not previously experienced the "advantages" of the failed manifesto he espouses. The fact that he has Murphy as an advisor on economic policy is intuitive!

Archived