Immigration

Gee Cee

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this moron still Chancellor of Germany? She is the one who welcomed hordes of anti-semites into the country with open arms. The funny thing is, anti-semitism has largely been extricated from right-wing and nationalist groups in Europe. Anti-semitism is now largely a left-wing and Islamic phenomenon and it's no coincidence that these two groups go hand in hand. Why do the left love Islam so much? That's a truly genuine question I'd like to know an answer to. The only answer I can come up with is that Islam has certain communistic tendencies with its ummah concept. Maybe more is involved.

Sorry notwell, but those nice people at Wiki disagree with you.

They claim that 14.1% of the world's population speak Mandarin. 5.85% speak Spanish, 5.52% speak English, 4.46% speak Hindi, and 4.23% speak Arabic. Those are the top five. German is in 11th place, and French in 18th place.

If you want an argument about this, please go and argue with Wiki, not me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

This is the link you're looking for.

You're right that Mandarin is still top, but the low number of 2L speakers means that outside of China you're unlikely to get much use out of it, unlike English.

If Sellafied exploded, and the radiation cloud rendered the IOM uninhabitable, I suspect Manx residents would be rather vocal if they found all borders closed to their plight.

I don't understand why their is a lack of stories in the press at an individual refugee level. The press just reports numbers. What they should do, is not say "1000000 refugees", or "20000 refugees". What they should do is print 1 million or 20 thousand stories. Their stories.

If the press done that then we would have a bit more understanding of the mushroom cloud that caused them to flee their homes.

They claim that 14.1% of the world's population speak Mandarin. 5.85% speak Spanish, 5.52% speak English, 4.46% speak Hindi, and 4.23% speak Arabic. Those are the top five. German is in 11th place, and French in 18th place.

You're right that Mandarin is still top, but the low number of 2L speakers means that outside of China you're unlikely to get much use out of it, unlike English.

Again, Mandarin ISN'T the mostly widely spoken language. It has the most people speaking it by numbers. In mainly one country.

Again, Mandarin ISN'T the mostly widely spoken language. It has the most people speaking it by numbers. In mainly one country.

That depends on your definition of "widely spoken" though doesn't it? Whether you attribute it based on number of speakers or geographical diversity of speakers.

But I'm not disagreeing with you, all I said was Mandarin is the most spoken but very rarely outside of China.

Gee Cee was the original poster of it being the most "widely spoken". And he was making a piss poor point anyway.

In the context of the world and geography then to me if a language is "widely spoken" it means a lot of countries around the world speak it. And that does not apply to Mandarin.

You would also take into account second language users. It is by far and away English and Spanish.

Sorry notwell, but those nice people at Wiki disagree with you. They claim that 14.1% of the world's population speak Mandarin. 5.85% speak Spanish, 5.52% speak English, 4.46% speak Hindi, and 4.23% speak Arabic. Those are the top five. German is in 11th place, and French in 18th place. If you want an argument about this, please go and argue with Wiki, not me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakersThis is the link you're looking for.You're right that Mandarin is still top, but the low number of 2L speakers means that outside of China you're unlikely to get much use out of it, unlike English.
That depends on your definition of "widely spoken" though doesn't it? Whether you attribute it based on number of speakers or geographical diversity of speakers.But I'm not disagreeing with you, all I said was Mandarin is the most spoken but very rarely outside of China.

You would be surprised at how many Chinese people in China can't speak Mandarin. Honestly. My father in law for one. My brother in law only has "o" level French Mandarin. But all school lessons are in Mandarin. My 3 year old had to do a Mandarin test to be accepted into a public kindergarten. But her first language is Cantonese. Her third language is English with a Scottish tang to it.

Language is language. I manage to get by in China without being fluent in Mandarin. Why should a Migrant to the UK need to do a test?

People get by. People manage. We adapt within our abilities. The non native speaker migrants are not important. It's their multi lingual kids that will change the world :-)

Archived