Immigration

Gee Cee

How many?

Depends on how serious people are about helping.

I reckon the island could absorb 300 families with no additional infrastructure. If money was made available to build housing etc, I would say 5000 individuals could be given sanctuary.

Plenty of land to build a new town, a school, shops etc. Free building materials etc supplied by churches and such like.

A clinic could be built and staffed by refugees.

I think the whole asylum process needs a rethink. We could offer land and materials to build a little Syria.

And when the war is over and their country is safe, most will want to go home.

The refugees are not coming here to claim free state handouts. They want to stay alive.

It's our system that doles out the handouts and does not allow people to work

Give someone bricks and they will build a home.

Even if they are 10 to a room for the first year while the houses are built, they will be safer than staying at home.

So yeah, I would say 5k max. Electricity and water supply being taken into account, and resources to build.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many?

So yeah, I would say 5k max. Electricity and water supply being taken into account, and resources to build.

And what percentage of those 5,000 could we reasonably expect to be IS or otherwise criminal? What percentage would hold hard line religious views such as rape as punishment and under-age "marriage" being acceptable?

Again, ballpark.

And we all have a group hug every Friday after prayers. FFS.

I doubt that very much 😃.

But my idea would certainly put a bit of life into the economy.

It's just an out the box thought.

We need to build houses. Not just for the refugees, but for people in general. And who knows what skills the refugees will bring. They will want to earn money.. And with earning comes tax revenues.

How many?

And what percentage of those 5,000 could we reasonably expect to be IS or otherwise criminal? What percentage would hold hard line religious views such as rape as punishment and under-age "marriage" being acceptable?

Again, ballpark.

If we rounded 5000 White people how many would expect to be criminals or terrorists? What percentage do you think would indulge in child abuse, rape and other unsavoury crimes?

Talk about tarring an entire ethnic group with the crimes of the few...

How many?

Again, ballpark.

If we rounded 5000 White people how many would expect to be criminals or terrorists? What percentage do you think would indulge in child abuse, rape and other unsavoury crimes?

Talk about tarring an entire ethnic group with the crimes of the few...

You miss my point (probably deliberately).

In ANY group of 5,000 there will be a proportion of criminals, rapists and pedos.

I suggest that in a group of 5,000 coming from a warzone, the percentage will be higher due to the horrors they've witnessed. And from a somewhat fundamental Islamic region, the proportion of rapists and pedos (by our standards) will be considerably higher.

So, how many are we comfortable letting in?

Are we all happy with, say, 50 hard-line Muslims who agree with Islamic tradition on how women and girls should be treated?

How times have changed. A famous speech from a right wing President in 1953:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

Seems the right wing of yesterday was left of todays labour.

Wonder how that happened.

How times have changed. A famous speech from a right wing President in 1953:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

Seems the right wing of yesterday was left of todays labour.

Wonder how that happened.

I'd rather we spent the money on our Defence thanks.

And sorting out local issues like a multi billion pounds public sector pension deficit.

Archived