Volkswagen - false emissions test results.

The Border Terrier

Because how you burn that 1 litre, the differing emissions produced in the many different ways of burning it, and how much you capture the waste emissions, can produce vastly different outcomes, including those on health.

1 litre is not the same for every vehicle, thus taxing just fuel removes any incentive for waste emission reduction.

• Like 1

Because how you burn that 1 litre, the differing emissions produced in the many different ways of burning it, and how much you capture the waste emissions, can produce vastly different outcomes, including those on health.

1 litre is not the same for every vehicle, thus taxing just fuel removes any incentive for waste emission reduction.

How?

If I set fire to a gallon of petrol if turns into the same amount of CO2 and H2O as if I do 15 miles in a Ferrari or 60 miles in a Prius. Or do car makers somehow modify the laws of chemistry?

• Like 1

Isn't this just symptomatic of the nonsense in the world today?

Big greenhouse gas industry bureaucracy costing untold billions with its army of scientists and pen pushers comes up with crazy emissions standards and tells the motor industry that this is the way it has to be. Instead of the motor industry telling them to shove it because it is impossible to make an engine meet those emissions standards, THEIR marketing folks and bureaucrats see an opportunity. "Let's find a way to get around it and we can sell shit loads more cars because it LOOKS as though we are meeting the standards." And they design a bit of kit to stick on to the engine to do just that. Gullible Joe Public sees the adverts about how green the car is and he goes and buys one. Millions do the same. Shock, horror. Greenhouse gas industry scientists discover that their lovely emissions standards were being flouted all along. It was just the boxes that were getting ticked. Now the next bunch of freeloaders, the lawyers, are getting involved and that will be the next big bonanza. They will be screwing VW over big style for the governments and no doubt encouraging every individual that bought a car to go for the jugular too. This is now the way of the world.

You wouldn't mind so much if the big greenhouse gas industry bureaucracy was going to save the planet, but it isn't. The whole thing is a farce. Just another "budget centre" to make money from society.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 4

Apparently the car's engine management software knew if it was on a rolling road and adjusted itself accordingly. Very clever. If only the car people put as much thought into designing more efficient engines.

Try a Volvo V40 D2 - yesterday I was doing 80MPH on the M5 and it was returning ~80mpg - quite amazing. This is a very economical car.

Apparently the car's engine management software knew if it was on a rolling road and adjusted itself accordingly. Very clever. If only the car people put as much thought into designing more efficient engines.

The computer had to be put into rolling road mode to prevent the traction control kicking in so it's just computer programming, nothing particularly clever.

You're right though, a majority of advances in car technology in recent years has been to do with the control system, innovative engine design has been neglected.

Try a Volvo V40 D2 - yesterday I was doing 80MPH on the M5 and it was returning ~80mpg - quite amazing. This is a very economical car.

Or that's what the car was telling you - I'd be surprised if it were only VW up to no good.

• Like 2

Or that's what the car was telling you - I'd be surprised if it were only VW up to no good.

Well I know how many litres I put in the car, the number of miles travelled and I can do the math :) .

• Like 1

Well I know how many litres I put in the car, the number of miles travelled and I can do the math smile.png .

Fuel economy and emissions don't necessarily go hand in hand though. Catalytic converters decrease fuel mileage for example.

• Like 1

How?

If I set fire to a gallon of petrol if turns into the same amount of CO2 and H2O as if I do 15 miles in a Ferrari or 60 miles in a Prius. Or do car makers somehow modify the laws of chemistry?

That's precisely what they do, with catalytic converters, fuel efficiency, filters etc. etc.

Well I know how many litres I put in the car, the number of miles travelled and I can do the math smile.png .

But you only ever drive downhill. That's the reason.

not to fix it isn't.

• Like 1