Volkswagen - false emissions test results.

The Border Terrier

People have had their lives shortened by this flagrant fraud.

Yeah right. So a 40 a day smoker is now going to go to a lawyer claiming his golf ruined his breathing by spewing out a few more nitrogen oxides than the book said it would?

I'm more inclined to credit VW with a high level of sales ingenuity than pillory them for a terrible crime against humanity. They knew what tests the cars had to pass and they made them accordingly. My car has 3 engine modes I can select with a switch - one of them is 'eco-pro' which I rarely use. I bet it was used in the emissions testing though. Is this any different?

• Like 2

Yeah right. So a 40 a day smoker is now going to go to a lawyer claiming his golf ruined his breathing by spewing out a few more nitrogen oxides than the book said it would?

I'm more inclined to credit VW with a high level of sales ingenuity than pillory them for a terrible crime against humanity. They knew what tests the cars had to pass and they made them accordingly. My car has 3 engine modes I can select with a switch - one of them is 'eco-pro' which I rarely use. I bet it was used in the emissions testing though. Is this any different?

I wasn't thinking of the legal aspect. More babies in prams, cyclists, passive inhalations and ''a few more'' particulants than the book said, etc.

And it's still a flagrant fraud.

• Like 1

I wasn't thinking of the legal aspect. More babies in prams, cyclists, passive inhalations and ''a few more'' particulants than the book said, etc.

And it's still a flagrant fraud.

No one cares about cyclists so you can scrub them off.

• Like 2

Why? There is no emissions testing here. Having any changes would be of no benefit, and may actually degrade performance or fuel economy.

The emissions testing regime in the UK and much of Europe wouldn't fail on the "real world" NOx figures either. Doesn't mean they won't be forced to do a recall to program out the cheat mode. Further announcement on that due in the next couple of weeks apparently.

Sure some people will say f**k it and not bother, but I bet most will comply with a letter from VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda and send their car in for the recall work. I'll probably say f**k it too if the leasing company will let me put it off until they get it back at the end of the term.

• Like 1

From BBC news-text service ...

Tony Blair's Labour government made a mistake in promoting cars as they are now, ''killing people'', former science minister Lord Drayson, has said.

In 2001, the then Chancellor, Gordon Brown introduced lower vehicle tax for diesel cars on the grounds that they were less polluting.

That tax-break remains in place today (!)

Loed Drayson, whose own business invests in clean energy, now wants the current government to act to changedriver behaviour, again.

Will the offending manufacturers be asked to repay some of this tax-break, in light of the recent revelations? Probably not ...

The tax break is the car tax, for example my Volvo D2 has a tax rate of £0 per year.

Very annoying that I bought a new car specifically to reduce emissions only to find that I should have bought something different.

Maybe trade it in for the electric Volvo next summer...

Its very clever, they designed them to past a test and did just that. It's not really any different than car manufactures who designed a butterfly valve in an exhaust, below a certain rpm it would stay more or less closed to comply with the DB rating allowed, above a certain rpm the valve opens and the exhaust becomes more or less a straight pipe.

I am sure lots of money will be made by lawyers, and there will be a couple of government fines. But this really is a storm in a teacup. Diesel is dirty, always has been, always will be. And yet, most central heating boilers chuff out far more emissions in a year than a small car.

• Like 2

Credit Suisse say total cost to VW could be £58bn, via CNN.

Credit Suisse (CS) estimates that the total cost to the company could hit 78 billion euros ($87 billion) in a worst case scenario. That's about 60% more than the cost of the Deepwater Horizon spill to BP (BP).

"The market does not appear to be discounting negative knock-on effects," wrote Credit Suisse analysts in a report sent to the bank's clients. "The outcome for recall costs and fines is unclear and largely depends on the engine performance post repair."

(Mandy Rice-Davies alert) "The numbers ... are pure speculation. The calculations are nonsense," said a Volkswagen spokesperson in a statement.