Volkswagen - false emissions test results.

The Border Terrier

Diesel is more efficient. Always has been and always will be but does have the issue of particulates which don't come from burning petrol. However, Cambon is correct in that many other fossil fuel burners we accept without question are trashing the planet much faster than all diesel cars. That doesn't of course take any blame from the diesel car but we need to get things in proportion when dealing out self righteous blame.

This is a storm in a teacup but it's developing into a force 12 in an ocean if we allow it to instead of seeing the big picture. Some lawyers won't want that and will no doubt lead our thinking to benefit themselves.

Its ludicrous that some cars have zero car tax based on one criterion of its propensity to pollute when there are in fact many ways in which it damages the planet. Taxing the fuel and the original purchase to a much bigger extent would catch all of these and would be fairer to everyone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now it seems VW are cutting their expenditure in the wake of the scandal.

Affected Club are self-owned Wolfsburg of the Bundesliga (German Federal League), who had planned a new training facility at a cool £30M.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/national/soccer/vw-fallout-wolfsburg-postpones-planned-training-center/article_4966301d-1aeb-5b0a-a8b5-10aeedf7a7c8.html

The costs set aside by VW for the Emissions Cheating fiasco are in the region of £6.5 billion.

TBT.

• 4 weeks later...

Gasoline (petrol) engined vehicles also involved in the 'Great VW Scandal'.

VW admit they've been falsifying records involving CO2 emissions and fuel economy data on their gasoline models as well as NOx emissions on their diesel models.

Upwards of 800K gasoline vehicles involved worldwide.

As CO2 emissions determine road fund licence charges in some countries, who pays the 'back tax', vehicle owner or manufacturer?

TBT.

Edit: sp.

Edited by The Border Terrier

So Volkswagen are the ONLY company that have done this? They have checked the other brands including the Chinese ones haven't they?

Or is it just another excuse for the media and technically incompetent nincompoops (same thing really) to lay into a European company.

• Like 1

So Volkswagen are the ONLY company that have done this? They have checked the other brands including the Chinese ones haven't they?

Or is it just another excuse for the media and technically incompetent nincompoops (same thing really) to lay into a European company.

The way MPG/NOx was tested was always flawed, VW took advantage of this and have helped highlight the issues for everybody, some day soon we'll be getting real road test figures not ones done in perfect conditions.

Edited by Annoymouse

I'm no expert on vehicle emissions so I've entrusted the Governing body (whoever they are) and the manufacturer(s) to conduct the relevant test properly.

In the case of VW this hasn't happened. The reasons for this wasn't an error or judgement or ignorance, it was malicious.

VW have binned the CEO and admitted their breach of trust with their customers citing the certain engines (specifically diesel) affected across various model ranges including those used by other manufacturers (including Audi/Porsche/Seat/Skoda).

And now they've also admitted to falsifying test results for their petrol engines.

The result of those tests determined the amount of tax paid to the Government in road fund licence, and various 'Congestion Charges' throughout the world.

So as a result, the Government has been deliberately defrauded of revenue by VW.

Similarly the emissions figures have been set to prevent global warming, acid rain, premature deaths etc, and VW have deliberately set about a campaign to circumnavigate these regulations by abject dishonesty.

Now BigC, I've seen some of your UTube posts and you don't give the impression of a technically incompetent nincompoop to me.

But then again, justifying VW's behaviour by suggesting that others may be similarly guilty, indicates to the contrary.

TBT.

.................was he justifying it? I thought he was just pointing it out.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if ALL manufacturers weren't pushing the boundaries, I've certainly never approached the given consumption figures.

When ships, planes, rockets and factories have to meet the same criteria then I will believe that the govs. of the world are trying to help. ( I know rockets are relatively clean but the heat output into the atmosphere can't do much good imo.)

So as a result, the Government has been deliberately defrauded of revenue by VW.

So one of the most criminal organisations in the world, which puts its own wealth so far ahead of the people it was supposed to serve that it causes widespread death, exploitation and misery is being defrauded of money that it would pretty much have shovelled into its already bulging pockets?

That makes me feel sad. :( (Not really)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yanks think they run the world and can sue anyone.

More people need to tell them to fuck off. They have no jurisdiction outside of the US.

Imagine Greenland demanding you get exradited for not paying enough imaginary Mackeral tax. Fuck off yanks...fuck off.

Big bunch of wankers. Don't go there.

Yanks are knobs. They should be shunned at every opportunity.

More people need to tell them to fuck off. They have no jurisdiction outside of the US.

Imagine Greenland demanding you get exradited for not paying enough imaginary Mackeral tax. Fuck off yanks...fuck off.

The yanks run the world (especially the iom) they can shut down any country they want to,and thats a fact no ifs butts or all the liawyers in athol st will alter it either.

The yanks run the world (especially the iom) they can shut down any country they want to,and thats a fact no ifs butts or all the liawyers in athol st will alter it either.

The yanks really couldn't care about the island. Why would they?

As I mentioned before, the USA have found a way of crippling VW just as they take the top manufacturing output slot away from GM. Just as they did with Toyota a few years back.

Nonetheless, VW have admitted guilt and are conducting their own enquiries. It seems that Bosch are heavily involved as they wrote the software to enable the cars to pass the emissions test. It can be assumed that they offered this to other manufacturers who use their electronics systems and it will be interesting to see how things pan out?

There was a culture at VW which allowed this to happen, it seems that there was an inordinate amount of R&D which went into developing software for emissions compliance against actual mechanical R&D time. This should have raised the alarm, but this is hindsight.

I'm sure the USA is gloating over this and will reap huge financial gain from what is in reality a fairly simple and straightforward case of employee liability. One or several employees sought to further their careers by cheating the system, which was actually flawed in the first place!