Volkswagen - false emissions test results.

The Border Terrier

I was listening to a report on the radio a couple of days ago that said that NOT ONE diesel vehicle tested by the UK DOT under an investigative programme since the VW scandal had matched any of their manufacturer's emissions claims.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, and I can't start a new one yet. Advice needed please from the great MF. I've a 2008 Diesel BMW 1.9 1 series and its DPF light is now on and it's knackered apparently. A garage on the island will remove it and re-programme the ECU and all will be fine. More power and fuel economy too. Perfect...except...is it legal? In the UK it's not apparently and insurance companies describe it as a vehicle modification so it invalidates the cover. Can't find any real info here so thought I'd ask.

Get the dpf off the car. Fill it with brake cleaner overnight, empty and steam clean through. Never tried it myself mind but someone who has, many times, assures me it works.

Modern car diesels are generally no good for the island as they don't get enough stick. I make sure mine does and it gets the right spec oil. I recall the BMW N47 diesel engine which I think yours is should have 0/30 or 5/30 C2 or BMW longlife 04 oil ONLY.

It's a view doc.

Diesel car owners seem to be the new sitting duck targets for those with a need to judge. There is a genuine health issue in some cities but nobody ever seems to care about the lorry engines doing 5 mpg (if you are lucky) or the diesel trains that go through the centre of cities doing 0.5 mpg. It's much easier to have a go at the private car user most of whom are doing relatively little harm.

Modern diesels (Euro 5 & 6) are actually very clean indeed compared to the predecessors and are remarkably fuel efficient but need to be doing a fair few miles a day at a reasonable speed. If you are driving from Farmhill into Douglas every day in heavy traffic, get a petrol (or walk).

DPFs are sometimes more trouble than they are worth but they (along with catalytic converters) can be killed by using the wrong oil and sitting in slow traffic. That's why there are now C1, C2, C3 and C4 oils in various grades. It is essential you find out what your car needs and change it an absolute minimum every 10,000 miles. Personally I change every 5,000 or 1 year which ever is the soonest.

.............don't drive a diesel anything?........(tongue in cheek)..........I agree with you BB, would include ships, planes and space rockets though..........

diesoils will be taxed of the roads very soon,you will be able to pick them up for a song,if,you can afford to run them.

diesoils will be taxed of the roads very soon,you will be able to pick them up for a song,if,you can afford to run them.

Maybe one day but I doubt it. The diesel engine will never disappear until a true alternative to the internal combustion engine is devised.

What size petrol engine would you need to have the torque to pull away with 44 tonnes all up weight uphill? 50 litres? 60 litres? Are they going to be taxed off the road? If so we'll all be paying that increase, not just the vehicle operator. Even a transit van will probably need a 3+ litre petrol engine to do the same job as a 2 litre diesel. What would the total NoX +HC comparison be between the two fuels? Look up the Euro6 limits. They are tiny.

Edit : The present system was the product of Broon's government and is plainly stupid. We are only just generally realising that inconvenient point.

Edited by ballaughbiker

• 5 years later...
On 9/27/2015 at 10:13 AM, The Sick Moon said:

There's some thing very satisfying about a load of previously über smug, perma tanned, sausage munching squareheads snivelling and grovelling on televisions all over the world. As our old gran used to say, when delivering her summary on the wisdom of European integration, "You can never trust a German!" cool.png

Does anyone know, what is German for schadenfreude? cool.png

193 million quid.