R.I.P. Dennis Healey

Shake me up Judy

Dennis Healey was one of my political heroes. He was perhaps the only true giant of the Labour Party, with the possible exception of Tony Benn, in the post-Wilson era of British politics. I'm not sure if he'd have made a good leader of the party; he was probably too tough and uncompromising, but I would've liked to have seen it. He'd have seen Thatcher off before she got going, but he probably would've been hobbled by the albatross of the unions and the left. It was not to be.

A genuine war hero too, formidable intellect, great humour, and a great life well lived. I salute him.

Some won't forgive him for his part in the cancellation of the TSR2 and the despicable decision to ensure it could never be resurrected by a future government of a different hue by ordering the destruction of all the manufacturing tools and jigs.

Some won't forgive him for his part in the cancellation of the TSR2 and the despicable decision to ensure it could never be resurrected by a future government of a different hue by ordering the destruction of all the manufacturing tools and jigs.

Off topic IMHO a very good piece on the aircraft and it's background TSR2 - Pissing In The Wind?

Seems that the original RAF spec was more of a wish list than anything else. I'm all for "anticipating the technology" but you have to be prepared for inevitable delays and spiralling costs. The spec was also never challenged when clearly it should have been as some aspects were simply impractical. Plus there seems to have been a lot of inter-Service rivalry as they chased an ever-dwindling Defence Budget. Turf wars ALWAYS cost by ignoring what's best for all but there seems to have been no top-down view that could have handled it properly.

Basically it was a mismanaged cock-up.

Until I read Wikiwotsit, I didn't realise he was a founder member of the Bilderberg Group.

He was certainly a man of many contradictions and seemingly fell out with a good number of his Labour colleagues. The best one for me is:

When accused by colleagues including Eric Heffer, left-wing MP for Liverpool Walton, of putting Labour's chances of winning the next election in jeopardy through his tax proposals, Healey said the party and the country must face the consequences of Labour's policy of the redistribution of income and wealth; "That is what our policy is, the party must face the realities of it" (after purportedly saying that Labour would "tax the rich until the pips squeak")

I was seconded down to the Shoeburyness test site in the late 90's, damaged parts of the TSR2 were still there then. I managed to get some small pieces back through intense military security and made a retirement model out of them for a colleague who'd worked for Shell Research (Chester) on the TSR2/Concorde projects.

TSR2's had been used in the mid-60's as targets to see how a 'modern' airframe stood up to small arms fire. Not sure how a Lee Enfield .303 could hit a TSR2 at Mach 2, but there you go.

Ostensibly it was all about making sure nothing was left to resurrect should another Government wish to do so.

All logged in test pilot, the late Roly Beamont, book Phoenix into Ashes (1968).

TBT.

Archived