Douglas Burglary while occupants asleep

slinkydevil

"execution"

Sorry, are we living in some Third World Middle Eastern country now?

Executing people for crimes has been proven as reliable a deterrent to crime as tickling them is.

Well it's definately a reliable way of cutting down on repeat offenders!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you work that one out RManx ? How are you measuring that ? Does one person losing their hand invalidate the deterrence theory ? Is that your schoolboy logic ?

Not that I would want to see barbaric mutilation here.

Deterrence is much more complex than you seem to be arguing anyway. You're sounding like a first year Polytechnic student again, three weeks in to the autumn term and marching already.

How do you work that one out RManx ? How are you measuring that ? Does one person losing their hand invalidate the deterrence theory ? Is that your schoolboy logic ?

Deterrence is much more complex than you seem to be arguing anyway. You're sounding like a first year Polytechnic student again, three weeks in to the autumn term and marching already.

Middle Eastern countries have been mutilating and executing people for centuries for crimes like theft and murder, yet to this day they still have people who rob and kill. Despite the deterrence.

Yes reoffending is hard when you are missing a hand or dead, but that doesn't stop the next criminal stepping up does it?

It has nothing to do with "schoolboy" logic, its a cold hard fact. Maiming and killing people has zero effect as a deterrence.

That is why civilised countries did away with the death penalty (notice I didn't say Western Countries...America I am looking at you...)

How do you know it has zero effect ? What an absurd thing to say. What is your evidence ? Is it your logic that deterrence only works if it is 100% successful ?

I agree, zero effect?

If they're dead, I'm pretty sure that it will be a 100% success rate as its unlikely that they'll be committing any crime ever again as mentioned earlier.

And yet they still have people stealing and robbing...it is almost as if it has utterly failed as a deterrent...

They won't do it with that hand again though, so it's a result.

If the threat of mutilation or death isn't working as a deterrent to carrying out the crime in the first place, maybe they need to rethink their deterrent...

dead people don't re-offend. winner.

Middle Eastern countries have been mutilating and executing people for centuries for crimes like theft and murder, yet to this day they still have people who rob and kill. Despite the deterrence.

Yes reoffending is hard when you are missing a hand or dead, but that doesn't stop the next criminal stepping up does it?

It has nothing to do with "schoolboy" logic, its a cold hard fact. Maiming and killing people has zero effect as a deterrence.

That is why civilised countries did away with the death penalty (notice I didn't say Western Countries...America I am looking at you...)

So you think if Middle Eastern countries did away with the whole killing and maiming thing, that crime rates wouldn't soar dramatically?

And no-one ever has been wrongly convicted of a crime and executed...ever...anywhere...(/sarcasm)

And yes, executed criminals will not reoffend (if they offended in the first place), but I bet our rehabilitation rate is better than theirs...

I am quoting from a pompous police statement quoted in this week's Courier referring to the robbery at Newby's Newsagents in Glen Falcon Road, Douglas, where the scumbag in question threw a "small banger firework" at the lone female employee and made off with the "drop box" containing £1000:

"This is a very alarming method of offending, but thankfully there were no serious physical injuries to the lady. I do not dismiss the fact that such crimes can have a serious detrimental physiological impact on victims and of course I am mindful to ongoing public concerns."

Er, I'm guessing that, in the quest to use five long words where one simple one will suffice, someone is not "mindful to" [poor old English language] the difference between "psychological" and "physiological".

• 4 months later...

This isn't the same guy but it's roughly the same crime

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/burglar-crept-into-houses-as-victims-slept-1-7781924

Sentenced to 7 years 6 months, and is a standard repeat offender . Everyone has a choice in their life, and this person has chosen poorly.

A quick google on https://www.judgments.im/ shows he's one of the regulars. Hopefully he stays in prison for the full 7 and a half years and doesn't bother us again with his crimes until 2023.

Agreed,can't have those "eastern Europeans" doing things like this and getting away with it,deport him I say. Oh hang on!

they should send him to some cold little shit hole in the middle of the irish sea when he gets out.

Archived