antibiotic resistance

the stinking enigma

70 years is all we managed out of antibiotics. 70 years. And we've squandered the lot. Great job.

Don't be surprised. Except that it lasted this long. Humanity doesn't do long term planning. In the long run we're all dead and we live for today. Whatever comforts us today we will do, no matter what the consequences for the future. This holds good for almost everybody despite the lip service they might pay to the contrary.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sepsis is pretty common: about 300 cases per 100,000 people, heart attacks are 200 odd per 100K.

There are about 100,000 cases of sepsis in the UK per year, and about 1/3 of them die. Obviously only a small fraction are caused by minor cuts, but it isn't negligible.

Link

Sepsis is pretty common: about 300 cases per 100,000 people, heart attacks are 200 odd per 100K.

There are about 100,000 cases of sepsis in the UK per year, and about 1/3 of them die. Obviously only a small fraction are caused by minor cuts, but it isn't negligible.

Link

Their misspelling of the PDF doesn't give you much confidence does it? smile.png

A small fraction of 300 in 100k seems reasonably negligible to me? Particularly if you take into account the instances of small cuts - what would you guesstimate? 80% of the population has a few small cuts at any one time?

@Ballaugh I gotta ask though, has anyone you know ever gotten septicemia from a normal cut?

Hmmm, define normal cut but I accept your point. However I'd guess we have both grown up with antibiotic availability when the nasty ones are still controllable. When they don't work anymore stories that are a worse case scenario atm could become commonplace just as they were before the 40s. This discussion is about a likely scenario of a post antibiotic world so present day experience is not entirely relevant.

Edit just to add, its not really the size of the cut rather than the micro organisms that are sitting on what cut you.

@Ballaugh I gotta ask though, has anyone you know ever gotten septicemia from a normal cut?

Hmmm, define normal cut but I accept your point. However I'd guess we have both grown up with antibiotic availability when the nasty ones are still controllable. When they don't work anymore stories that are a worse case scenario atm could become commonplace just as they were before the 40s.

Edit just to add, its not really the size of the cut rather than the micro organisms that are sitting on what cut you.

It's not really the micro organisms either, rather the strength of the immune system of the subject.

Equilibrium or not have to say that even though the risks were known, feeding antibiotics to pigs to fatten them up seems a little bit irresponsible to say the least

I wonder if it's widespread within the island's farming community?

Seems to have worked on Howard Quayle.

Archived