The War in Syria - ISIS et al

Chinahand

Errr you don't suppose Cameron not being pissed on from a great height about this "70,000 strong force" has anything to do with the fact that the vast majority of the UK press are rabidly right-wing?

I guess something has to counterbalance the BBC being rabidly left wing. Their distaste when having to report anything that doesn't fit this agenda is palpable.

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse just a little bit?

As a wishy-washy Lib-Dem, well, until Turncoat Cleggy gave my vote to Cameron, you tend to see the other two parties at different ends of the spectrum and also their supporters. In my experience the more right wing you are the more you will view media outlets such as the Beeb as very left wing. The more left wing you are the more you will view the UK press as very right wing. It's just the way a lot of folks are in that if their media input doesn't fit their views then they tend to rubbish it rather than give it serious consideration. And the more it doesn't fit their views the more endemic they believe it is. Basically they lose sight of any middle ground which makes it very difficult to take a balanced view.

There isn't the slightest doubt that the vast majority of the UK press is dreadfully right wing. It's a shame because if you read decent newspapers for depth, comment, analysis, alternative viewpoints and so forth ie as an alternative to the tv's snippets and soundbites - as far as politics goes the UK press is very much letting you down. And there isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that the BBC appears left wing to some not because it IS left wing but rather because the UK press is so far to the right of the middle ground!

As for Cassie's attempt to stir it by dragging up a particularly pathetic politicising non-event from early July I believe it simply reinforces what I'm saying.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with virtually everything you say, apart from the conclusion. Even as admitted by their own insiders the BBC is liberal left wing. Expanding your analogy further, maybe you see their output as being perfectly balanced precisely because you are a Lib-Dem. No wonder they never get elected.

So you agree that as a right-winger you would tend to view the Beeb as left wing? Good.

This "it's what they don't say" bit makes me smile. What they didn't say. What was that then? Oh, no-one knows because they didn't say it....

So you agree that as a right-winger you would tend to view the Beeb as left wing? Good.

This "it's what they don't say" bit makes me smile. What they didn't say. What was that then? Oh, no-one knows because they didn't say it....

I don't know. I didn't say it.w00t.gif

I'm not a right winger though. I am the voice of reason.

fear not people. leonard singer is on the case..at last a straight talker who can cut through the bullshit and tell it like it is. i predict peace in the entire region by tuesday next week..http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-takes-stand-on-iran-sanctions/

It would be nice if one of "our" cleverer IT posters could put up a video of LS in his bunker under the Northern Housing Associations apartment he occupies in the vein of the Hitler videos, directing operations in the Middle East.

I think "Max" did a fantastic one a few months back.

edit for spelling, again !

From the BBC ...

''At least 15 rebel forces in Syria are ready to succeed so-called, 'Islamic State' (IS) if it is defeated by the US-led coalition, new research suggests.

The, 'Centre on Religion and Geopolitics, linked to former UK Prime Minister, Tony Blair, also says that 60% of the rebels could be classed as 'Islamists'.

It argues that attempts by world powers to distinguish between moderate and extremist factions are flawed.

Western countries have stepped-up air strikes against IS in Syria and Iraq.''

It (the beeb) has taken its time in stating this fact. Putin has known all along that this has been the case, hence Russia's continued bombardment of all rebel forces conducting war in the area.

This fact also shows how wrong-headed Cameron's statement was, that there were ''70,000'' rebel troops ready to take the fight to IS.

So in other words....we done fucked up and we're gonna pay the price for it

There isn't really a direct answer to that and I'll find a news item which is a good example, but do you not get the drift? I'm not singling out the Beeb, either. It's when relevant details are left out, to play the story to suit political-leanings.

The intense coverage of the refugees arriving be-draggled on the beaches made good TV, the imagery was intense and heart-rendering. From the nation we saw an out-pouring of sympathy and offerings of charity. And rightly-so. Who could not feel for them? Their journey was a dangerous one; the boats weren't free passage, much money was made by ruthless gangs who saw easy-pickings.

Amongst these refugees were thousand's of christians and other faiths, enduring the same hardships as the mostly muslim majority. Tales of tragedy abounded but one aspect of this woeful affair recieved very little coverage, that being, the plight of hundreds (perhaps thousands as no records are kept) of 'other faith's' who once aboard the boats and at sea, were intimidated, robbed, shot, stabbed or whatever, and thrown overboard to drown. It took a long time for this story to come to light, in the British, French and especially the German media - even then, imo, it was 'played-down'.

Many of the boats washed-up in Italy and Greece, mainly christian countries. If the murder of many hundreds of christians, etc., had been sensationalised and given the coverage it deserved, how might it have affected the sympathetic perception in these christian countries?

So it is not quite, ''what is not said'', more, what is left out of the bigger picture. It infers bias.

No, I don't get the drift.

Frequently the reporter on the spot reporting from some landing beach at the end of their splurge would solemnly intone "And the fate of many others is unknown..." or similar.

Face it, there's all sorts that could have happened to them and no doubt did as refugees are easy prey to the unscrupulous. In your opinion it was 'played-down' and, of course, I have no idea what you base that opinion on. Although I'm not clear on one aspect. Were non-muslims singled out i.e. muslim witnesses were left able to report on the miscreants?

Of course, a lot may not have run with the story because they simply can't run with everything.

This site link gives a very good overview. The deaths are still too high (face it, one death is one too many) but a quick look at the ytd is useful.

I'm left with the uncomfortable feeling that the EU reduced operations in the Med simply to prevent folks trying the crossing. With things deteriorating in the CofO desperation increased and they went for it anyway. An extract from the UNHCR report which is a bit wordy but contains some numbers that are worth considering:

"In October 2013, a boat carrying hundreds of refugees and migrants from Libya to Italy sank near the island of Lampedusa, killing 368 refugees. Shortly after, Italy launched a historic search and rescue at sea operation called Mare Nostrum.

This operation contributed to saving thousands of lives. However, it gradually sparked opposition as some countries saw it as a pull factor. The operation ended in December 2014. An initially smaller operation led by the EUs border agency, Frontex, was put in place, with fewer resources, a mandate focused on border control, and with a more limited scope to rescue people at sea.

This shift did not diminish the number of refugees and migrants making the crossing. At a time of growing instability in Libya, and rising pressure in refugee-hosting countries neighbouring Syria, many refugees felt they had no other choice.

During the first four months of 2015, the numbers of those dying at sea reached horrifying new heights. Between January and March, 479 refugees and migrants drowned or went missing, as opposed to 15 during the first three months of the year before. In April the situation took an even more terrible turn. In a number of concurrent wrecks, an unprecedented 1,308 refugees and migrants drowned or went missing in a single month (compared to 42 in April 2014), sparking a global outcry.

European leaders held emergency meetings in April and agreed to triple the funding of their Frontexled operations in the Mediterranean (bringing itto the levels of Mare Nostrum), and significantly increase their scope and coverage. This included the deployment of naval vessels from several EU States.

These efforts are supplemented by many private and non-governmental initiatives, including operations by Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS) and Médecins Sans Frontières. The results were immediate. In May, the number of refugees and migrants drowned or missing at sea fell to 68, a quarter of the figure only one year earlier (226). The downward trend continued in June, which as of 29 June saw 12 deaths, compared to 305 in 2014.

This decline in deaths at sea is an important achievement, and a sign that with the right policy backed by an effective operational response, it is possible to save lives at sea."

So I thought we beat the Taliban...oh wait no invading nation has held Afghanistan in recent history.

So now we are fighting wars on three fronts. Tally ho!!!

Edit to add: Actually four as we will potentially be bombing in Libya soon...

Archived