The War in Syria - ISIS et al

Chinahand

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one may also think you would understand that too when it relates to the west bombing syria chinahand not so simples then?

Erm ... I'm fully aware and fully understand that the West is at risk of terrorist and other violence - I'm the person arguing for the UK government to ensure contingencies are taken. I'm also fully aware that this is geopolitics at its highest form with 100s of thousands of lives effected.

Stinky ... you might enjoy reading Immanuel Wallerstein's "The Modern World System I" it's only 350 odd pages long and discusses how a country's political-economy is effected by whether it is on periphery or core of the metropole.

It uses the Long 16th century as its subject, but where the book has become so important is applying its ideas to our times.

Where the metropole is in the world is changing - in the 12 century it was China, that took a decisive change in the 16c century, and currently it is in the US, but that nation is deeply concerned about it loosing its preeminence.

What happened to "Keep calm and carry on"?

Its been replaced with "Be afraid and don't pay any attention to the rampant military spending (on shit planes and aircraft) while we cut police, NHS and education"

Erm - the UK has just announced that it is increasing it's defence budget from something like 1.95% of GDP to 2.05%. More than a little bit of the reason for this change is due to NATO politics and it's request for countries to always stay above the 2% red line.

You might find this data base worth looking at.

Goodness, you seem to be getting a bit caught up in the media focus.

Lxxx, given your own perspective on the threat from terrorism, what would you do? What should a government do?

Of course governments should be seen to be doing something, but the individual cannot affect what a control-obsessed state does. However what is in the individual's power is to focus on how big an issue it is in reality to their own life. The threat of anyone coming to any harm from such an act is miniscule. It shouldn't even enter the daily consciousness of a reasonably intelligent individual, who doesn't get spoon fed what to think from the TV or newspapers.

one may also think you would understand that too when it relates to the west bombing syria chinahand not so simples then?

Erm ... I'm fully aware and fully understand that the West is at risk of terrorist and other violence - I'm the person arguing for the UK government to ensure contingencies are taken. I'm also fully aware that this is geopolitics at its highest form with 100s of thousands of lives effected.

Stinky ... you might enjoy reading Immanuel Wallerstein's "The Modern World System I" it's only 350 odd pages long and discusses how a country's political-economy is effected by whether it is on periphery or core of the metropole.

It uses the Long 16th century as its subject, but where the book has become so important is applying its ideas to our times.

Where the metropole is in the world is changing - in the 12 century it was China, that took a decisive change in the 16c century, and currently it is in the US, but that nation is deeply concerned about it loosing its preeminence.

I cant promise anything china, but I will try to give it a go. How about you? Have you read war is a racket yet? Far more concise what did you think?

@Lxxx, I agree the risks to an individual are miniscule and individuals shouldn't be particularly altering their behaviour due to a risk of terrorism.

But there are many other levels to this. People can notice odd behaviour, and should be aware, and through reporting it can save lives.

And a tiny proportion of our society can dedicate their lives to investigating reports of odd behaviour etc. These people can and do stop attacks.

We live in a hugely complex society and it isn't easy to know if it is going in the right direction or not, but the idea that it is some Orwellian, militarized, control-obsessed society is really laying it on a bit thick.

@Lxxx, I agree the risks to an individual are miniscule and individuals shouldn't be particularly altering their behaviour due to a risk of terrorism.

But there are many other levels to this. People can notice odd behaviour, and should be aware, and through reporting it can save lives.

And a tiny proportion of our society can dedicate their lives to investigating reports of odd behaviour etc. These people can and do stop attacks.

We live in a hugely complex society and it isn't easy to know if it is going in the right direction or not, but the idea that it is some Orwellian, militarized, control-obsessed society is really laying it on a bit thick.

The trend would seem to indicate we are taking ever-increasing baby steps in that direction.

@Stinky, some people make money from Wars. Who would disagree?

But the War in Syria, to give a specific example, is not being fought over money, nor, to use a good example from the war is a racket thread, was the Falklands War, or even the Dirty Wars of South America.

Do you think the Arab Israel conflict is due to profiteering?

The causes of war are hugely more complex than them just being a racket for some.

You aren't going to understand President Assad's, Putin's, al-Baghdadi's or Obama's motives by looking at their bank balances.

But the War in Syria, to give a specific example, is not being fought over money, nor, to use a good example from the war is a racket thread, was the Falklands War, or even the Dirty Wars of South America.

The causes of war are hugely more complex than them just being a racket for some.

You aren't going to understand President Assad's, Putin's, al-Baghdadi's or Obama's motives by looking at their bank balances.

The causes are many. But the outcome is the same...the same companies (with ties to those who make the decision to go to war in the first place) seem to do pretty well out of it, the tax payer civilian public end up massively out of pocket, the UK becomes the target of pissed people from across the globe and hundreds of young men and women come home in boxes or mortally wounded and abandoned by the same posh cunts that sent them out there

Remind me again the benefits of dropping the equivalent of 240 odd nurses yearly salaries every twenty minutes is of benefit to the UK?

Old warhawk Hague is at it again:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/25/uk-should-not-rule-out-sending-ground-troops-to-syria-says-william-hague

I bet none of his family will be sent out

You haven't read it though chinahand have you? Ask yourself why that is china.

You may arrive at the same conclusion as to why you believe I wouldn't read your recommendation, minus the(implied but prob fair to say) fact im obviously a bit of a thicko and probably wouldn't understand it. You are an intelligent guy china but your conditioning isquite visible to someone who once shared it, minus some of the bigger words of course. No offence china

Archived