The War in Syria - ISIS et al

Chinahand

18 minutes ago, manxb&b said:

Yeah, if you believe a word TM and DT say and I don't. (Saddam's WMD's ring any bells)

all nato allies back the syrian attacks......

and the only ones that don't are russia and china and of course corbyn.......

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the moral issues of another trumped up (oops) excuse to meddle and bully in other peoples countries, I expect the average UK tax payer is right royally pissed off that Theresa May was suddenly able to pull countless millions out of her arse today  to spend on missiles, despite there being no money in the pot to spend on the  NHS and a myriad of other front line services which are on their knees.

2 minutes ago, manxb&b said:

Besides the moral issues of another trumped up (oops) excuse to meddle and bully in other peoples countries, I expect the average UK tax payer is right royally pissed off that Theresa May was suddenly able to pull countless millions out of her arse today  to spend on missiles, despite there being no money in the pot to spend on the  NHS and a myriad of other front line services which are on their knees.

uk has a legal duty- missiles are already budgeted for- nhs has plenty of cash, the unions only ever spend it on putting in there pockets....

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

all nato allies back the syrian attacks......

and the only ones that don't are russia and china and of course corbyn.......

Yeah, you mean more crooked politicians with vested interests and no proof, and access to cosy bunkers. You really think any of them give a fuck about the human cost.

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

uk has a legal duty- missiles are already budgeted for- nhs has plenty of cash, the unions only ever spend it on putting in there pockets....

Yeah well you've certainly won me over with that insightful statement.

I disagree with the conspiracists who believe that NATO is backing ISIS.

I disagree with those who believe that the Assad / Putin regime is legitimate.

I disagree with those who believe that Assad is a bulwark against terrorism. He isn't - he backs Hezbollah and Hamas. 

I agree with Woody (OMG) about Russia. Putin's representatives said the chemical attack never happened. Then said it was Britain - feeding the inevitable "false flag" conspiracy nonsense.

--

However. I don't understand the point of bombing Syria. The Guardian, supporting action a few days ago, talked about "retaliation". That doesn't seem useful to me. The only point of action should be towards a clear and decisive outcome which makes things better. "Retaliation" isn't a good reason to do anything. 

I've this horrible feeling that the US, France and UK basically got backed into a corner and had to be seen to do something. Or else they would lose face. In which case Putin and Assad are driving the agenda.

Hope I'm wrong.

PS - Trump's idiotic Twitter nonsense is also not helpful. But I am fairly certain that he isn't running things anymore anyhow. He's obviously massively over compensating from the investigation which is getting ever closer. Even if he goes to a second term he is never going to really be in charge,

1 hour ago, manxb&b said:

Yeah, you mean more crooked politicians with vested interests and no proof, and access to cosy bunkers. You really think any of them give a fuck about the human cost.

what human cost? no one died in the bombings.......

1 hour ago, pongo said:

I disagree with the conspiracists who believe that NATO is backing ISIS.

I disagree with those who believe that the Assad / Putin regime is legitimate.

I disagree with those who believe that Assad is a bulwark against terrorism. He isn't - he backs Hezbollah and Hamas. 

I agree with Woody (OMG) about Russia. Putin's representatives said the chemical attack never happened. Then said it was Britain - feeding the inevitable "false flag" conspiracy nonsense.

--

However. I don't understand the point of bombing Syria. The Guardian, supporting action a few days ago, talked about "retaliation". That doesn't seem useful to me. The only point of action should be towards a clear and decisive outcome which makes things better. "Retaliation" isn't a good reason to do anything. 

I've this horrible feeling that the US, France and UK basically got backed into a corner and had to be seen to do something. Or else they would lose face. In which case Putin and Assad are driving the agenda.

Hope I'm wrong.

PS - Trump's idiotic Twitter nonsense is also not helpful. But I am fairly certain that he isn't running things anymore anyhow. He's obviously massively over compensating from the investigation which is getting ever closer. Even if he goes to a second term he is never going to really be in charge,

i agree with most of what you say:o but i don't think putin thought they would do anything, he's been taking the piss for a while....

his claim last week that his systems would knock any attack out was also false.....

nowt wrong with flexing your muscles now and again.......

28 minutes ago, woody2 said:

i agree with most of what you say:o but i don't think putin thought they would do anything

And so they had to do 'something'? I'm just not sure that's a good enough reason. Unless there is a specific strategic or humanitarian advantage. That's what I would like to understand better.

Otherwise it seems a bit like a dance. By which I mean choreographed.

12 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Any theories why putin would be taking the piss woody? Just for the sheer hell of it? Why bring this hassle on to himself? 

he's a gangster/thug and he wants international respect......

corbyn says he won't do anything without the UN sanctioning it, knowing full well russia have a veto and the UN can't do anything, at least we know which side he backs....

#traitor

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The only logical explanation for all this is that Putin, Trump and May want to give the younger generation a deeply engrained fear of nuclear holocaust again, in order to inspire some classic 80s style pop songs.   Putin's no fan of grime.

"War is stupid and people stupid"?

Archived