The fall of Jersey: how a tax haven goes bust

GD4ELI

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll take whatever they can for themselves and run...

My point was that with £700m, that's more than we have accessible before we have to start creating false claims around the £800m national insurance fund 'allocations' - so it looks like they are in a slightly better place. I'm finding it hard to buy the bust Jersey story when you look at the liabilities that exist in both Islands.

I agree.

Our 5 year plan has been revised to a 2 year plan to exit the rock after much deliberation. Some more friends move away next month, there's not gonna be a lot left soon apart from oap's and minimum wage workers.

My point was that with £700m, that's more than we have accessible before we have to start creating false claims around the £800m national insurance fund 'allocations' - so it looks like they are in a slightly better place. I'm finding it hard to buy the bust Jersey story when you look at the liabilities that exist in both Islands.

I agree.

Our 5 year plan has been revised to a 2 year plan to exit the rock after much deliberation. Some more friends move away next month, there's not gonna be a lot left soon apart from oap's and minimum wage workers.

I've got next door neighbours (but one door) went in late November. House been on market for over a year, still not sold, they've moved back across renting a place off friends of her father's, Northampton way they said. He works in finance, don't know where over here but he said it's not got much of a future (for him) so they've upped stumps and gone.

Anybody know of any others?

I agree.

I've got next door neighbours (but one door) went in late November. House been on market for over a year, still not sold, they've moved back across renting a place off friends of her father's, Northampton way they said. He works in finance, don't know where over here but he said it's not got much of a future (for him) so they've upped stumps and gone.

Anybody know of any others?

i have family members moving of the island in the new year, GUESS WHERE ?.

I reckon the oft quoted population number of 85K is grossly exaggerated, even 80K is over the top. I would hazard a guess and say that it's somewhere between 75 & 78K. There's just not the traffic on the roads as there used to be, even 12 months ago. The rush 5 minutes at Quarterbridge in the morning is now about 2 minutes max.

I reckon the oft quoted population number of 85K is grossly exaggerated, even 80K is over the top. I would hazard a guess and say that it's somewhere between 75 & 78K. There's just not the traffic on the roads as there used to be, even 12 months ago. The rush 5 minutes at Quarterbridge in the morning is now about 2 minutes max.

I can say from experience that the daily Wacky Races over the Mountain certainly don't seem to have the number of starters that they used to. Now they certainly haven't all crashed and burned in the events so a reasonable suggestion would be that there's less of them (unless they've all gone to car share or they're taking the monorail).

I can say from experience that the daily Wacky Races over the Mountain certainly don't seem to have the number of starters that they used to. Now they certainly haven't all crashed and burned in the events so a reasonable suggestion would be that there's less of them (unless they've all gone to car share or they're taking the monorail).

My money's on the monorail.

Archived