The fall of Jersey: how a tax haven goes bust

GD4ELI

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have family members moving of the island in the new year, GUESS WHERE ?.

Uh-oh, near me?

nonono g4d,Jersey would you believe,career prospects much better than this shitheap which is falling apart.

Utter bollocks.

Jerseys employment market is under significantly more pressure than the Isle of Man.

Jersey are massively bank dominated.

Uh-oh, near me?

nonono g4d,Jersey would you believe,career prospects much better than this shitheap which is falling apart.

Utter bollocks.

Jerseys employment market is under significantly more pressure than the Isle of Man.

whatever you say smartarse.

Uh-oh, near me?

Utter bollocks.

I'm not trying to be smart. Unless the person you know is in the tourist industry then I don't understand how anyone reaches the conclusion that there are more prospects in the jersey employment market than the Isle of Man.

Plenty of people being laid off in Jersey. Plenty leaving. And quite a few offshore businesses have the lions share of staff there. If the IoM finance sector is at risk jersey is at far greater risk.

And they've done nothing to diversify either.

Uh-oh, near me?

Utter bollocks.

I'm not trying to be smart. Unless the person you know is in the tourist industry then I don't understand how anyone reaches the conclusion that there are more prospects in the jersey employment market than the Isle of Man.

Plenty of people being laid off in Jersey. Plenty leaving. And quite a few offshore businesses have the lions share of staff there. If the IoM finance sector is at risk jersey is at far greater risk.

And they've done nothing to diversify either.

they're not in the tourist industry,and guess what its not a move for LESS money,thats put the kybosh on your theory i'm afraid,sorry.

It's a more expensive place to live. Jersey salaries have always been higher like for like in jobs.

They'll probably find a good portion of any payrise goes straight out in much higher rent.

And the current salary had no real link to prospects which you were quick to dumb down the IoM for.

You can easily move here for a payrise too. Depending on what level you are at of course.

I reckon the oft quoted population number of 85K is grossly exaggerated, even 80K is over the top. I would hazard a guess and say that it's somewhere between 75 & 78K. There's just not the traffic on the roads as there used to be, even 12 months ago. The rush 5 minutes at Quarterbridge in the morning is now about 2 minutes max.

Quite a few employees in the gaming sector live in Onchan. Might explain why quarterbridge is not as busy as before.

Was looking for a house to rent in Douglas for a family who are planning to move over in the new year. The rents quoted at least in Douglas seem similar or even higher to what I remember from 3/4 years ago. At the same time there are loads of for sale signs up.

I wonder if more people are renting now instead of buying (in view of the long term concerns) and hence keeping the rental market steady?

Archived