Donald Trump

cropduster

Oh, to be fair to Trump, his "Before I, or anyone, saw the classified and/or highly confidential hacking intelligence report, it was leaked out to @NBCNews. So serious!" is pretty damning of whoever did it and a +1 to Trump there.

• Like 1

I like the way he's threatening firms with huge taxes if they build new plants outside US to manufacture for the US market. Another one over the weekend was Toyota and with one tweet he knocked $1.2 billion off their market capitalisation. Then they crumbled. It might be agricultural but it makes them sit up.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/09/toyota-announced-10-billion-u-s-investment-days-after-trump-warns-company.html

Edited by woolley

Oh, to be fair to Trump, his "Before I, or anyone, saw the classified and/or highly confidential hacking intelligence report, it was leaked out to @NBCNews. So serious!" is pretty damning of whoever did it and a +1 to Trump there.

Perhaps it was the same hacker who leaked stuff to wikileaks?

I like the way he's threatening firms with huge taxes if they build new plants outside US to manufacture for the US market. Another one over the weekend was Toyota and with one tweet he knocked $1.2 billion off their market capitalisation. Then they crumbled. It might be agricultural but it makes them sit up.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/09/toyota-announced-10-billion-u-s-investment-days-after-trump-warns-company.html

As well as using Mexico to make Trump branded ties, he uses China a lot.

Probably not for much longer................

But it doesn't alter the fact that the multi-nationals have had it their own way for decades of riding roughshod with governments rolling over to have their tummies tickled. It is refreshing to see something different.

• Like 1

It is refreshing to see something different.

It only makes any sense domestically if it leads to greater productivity, lower costs (to the consumer) and if it creates jobs. Reagan introduced similar restrictions of foreign imports during the 80s - and the effect was higher prices, reduced productivity and fewer jobs. The economy tanked. It's more or less used as a case study in how to **** an economy.

Trump is weak on the detail - big on boastful exaggerations. And he gets his facts wrong. The concessions he appears to win typically lack substance and detail. I doubt he cares. Eg the hollow concessions he apparently won from Ford and Carrier.

It is refreshing to see something different.

It only makes any sense domestically if it leads to greater productivity, lower costs (to the consumer) and if it creates jobs. Reagan introduced similar restrictions of foreign imports during the 80s - and the effect was higher prices, reduced productivity and fewer jobs. The economy tanked. It's more or less used as a case study in how to **** an economy.

Trump is weak on the detail - big on boastful exaggerations. And he gets his facts wrong. The concessions he appears to win typically lack substance and detail. I doubt he cares. Eg the hollow concessions he apparently won from Ford and Carrier.

Well in the words of earlier today from rmanx, let's wait and see. I sometimes have the impression from you, Pongo, that you care not for the employment of anyone in the developed economies and that everything should be done in the cheapest sweatshop available anywhere in the world. It seems not to matter to you if skilled workers, technicians etc. are dumped into zero hours contracts in dead end minimum wage jobs so long as there are lower costs for the consumer. It is only cheap because of exploitative labour practices globally coupled with environmental and health and safety policies out of the dark ages. The end result if large swathes of the population are existing on minimum wage and benefits will be that the companies who pulled jobs out of those territories will have nobody with a decent income to sell to apart from a small elite.